NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Texas judge orders hospital to remove life support of pregnant brain-dead woman

2 posters

Go down

Texas judge orders hospital to remove life support of pregnant brain-dead woman  Empty Texas judge orders hospital to remove life support of pregnant brain-dead woman

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:14 am

A judge on Friday ordered a Texas hospital to remove life support for a pregnant, brain-dead woman whose family had argued that she would not want to be kept in that condition.The judge issued the ruling in the case of Marlise Munoz, who was being kept alive in a hospital in Fort Worth against her family's wishes. The judge gave the hospital until 5 pm on Monday (2300 GMT) to remove life support.

The case has raised questions about end-of-life care and whether a pregnant woman who is considered legally and medically dead should be kept on life support for the sake of a fetus. It also has caught the attention of both sides of the abortion debate, with anti-abortion groups arguing Munoz's fetus deserves a chance to be born. Munoz was 14 weeks pregnant when her husband found her unconscious on November 26, possibly due to a blood clot.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/marlise-munoz-texas-judge-orders-hospital-to-remove-life-support-of-pregnant-braindead-woman-9084538.html

Back to top Go down

Texas judge orders hospital to remove life support of pregnant brain-dead woman  Empty Re: Texas judge orders hospital to remove life support of pregnant brain-dead woman

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Tragic  Sad  I think her family would know best what she would have wanted. I could understand if the pregnancy was much further on but at 14 weeks.  Sometimes I think we have advanced so much medically it's puts us in a difficult position morally.  Just because we have the capability to work miracles doesn't mean we automatically should  No

Back to top Go down

Texas judge orders hospital to remove life support of pregnant brain-dead woman  Empty Re: Texas judge orders hospital to remove life support of pregnant brain-dead woman

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:16 pm

feelthelove wrote:Tragic  Sad  I think her family would know best what she would have wanted. I could understand if the pregnancy was much further on but at 14 weeks.  Sometimes I think we have advanced so much medically it's puts us in a difficult position morally.  Just because we have the capability to work miracles doesn't mean we automatically should  No

She was 14 weeks pregnant when she was put on life support. That was nine weeks ago, so they'll be killing a 23 week old foetus (baby).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Tess. wrote:
feelthelove wrote:Tragic  Sad  I think her family would know best what she would have wanted. I could understand if the pregnancy was much further on but at 14 weeks.  Sometimes I think we have advanced so much medically it's puts us in a difficult position morally.  Just because we have the capability to work miracles doesn't mean we automatically should  No

She was 14 weeks pregnant when she was put on life support.  That was nine weeks ago, so they'll be killing a 23 week old foetus (baby).

A difficult one Tess, babies have survived as young as this.  However, the article does go on to say that the fetus is "distinctly abnormal" whatever that means Texas judge orders hospital to remove life support of pregnant brain-dead woman  I_don_19Maybe if the Mum had been 23 weeks when it happened? I don't know what kind of chances of survival the baby would have? Complicated case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:09 pm

Its a horrible situation but I think the judge made the right decision. Her whole family has been in agony since she and they were denied what was her choice....I can understand, a little bit, why the law was put in place but she was a paramedic and had made her wishes known and her husband, son and family have been in hell....let them rest in peace now and let the family be able to mourn.

It seems the baby had amongst other abnormalities and also the body was not the correct size or weight because essentially it was in a dead body and the mothers body was not able to nourish it properly. I agree with the family lawyer who said she was being used as a science experiment and as a way for the hospital to avoid legal responsibility.

If anything this should make people aware of having in writing their end of life choices....but in this case a misapplied law got in the way.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:53 pm

Just the opposite of the case of Jahi McMath, of Oakland...although, not with a pregnancy complication.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/03/health/jahi-mcmath-girl-brain-dead/

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:11 am

Original Quill wrote:Just the opposite of the case of Jahi McMath, of Oakland...although, not with a pregnancy complication.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/03/health/jahi-mcmath-girl-brain-dead/

Its a horrendous position for anybody to be in and I sympathize with her family but when you are brain dead you are dead....
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:00 am

Yes...just so hard for the family.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down