NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shot A Brace Of Rabbits

+8
nicko
eddie
scrat
Syl
Original Quill
Victorismyhero
HoratioTarr
Major
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Shot A Brace Of Rabbits Empty Re: Shot A Brace Of Rabbits

Post by HoratioTarr Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:26 pm

Major wrote:I went out at 6.30 this morning and shot  a brace of rabbitz to eat, there are loads of them.

The spinney I shot them is still mine, I did not sell it with the house we just moved from.

The geeza who bought house has been cutting down small trees for his muthuz log burner, he duz not have an open fire.
I warned him to stay out.

Last week we had a offer for said spinney from a developer/builder.

Our son is now applying for planning permission for it, sod the developer.

This the last piece of separate land we have.

Are we supposed to be impressed?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:40 pm

Nice one major. Nowt like a fresh rabbit casserole with plenty of winter veg. And all good healthy meat to, at least you can be sure it isn't full of hormones an antibiotics,and is low fat too. You can also of course be certain it's FAR more ethical than any farmed meat. I really don't see why folks get their tights in a tangle about those of us who hunt our meat,ESPECIALLYif they eat supermarket meat.
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:08 pm

Shot A Brace Of Rabbits B_hasenpfeffer

Hasenpfeffer...when the chilly wind is peeping about for ways in, and the delicious aroma is coming from a hot stove.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:26 pm

I don't think I have ever eaten rabbit......or veal or venison.
I am a vegetarian struggling to break out of a meat eaters body I think. pig
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:31 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Major wrote:I went out at 6.30 this morning and shot  a brace of rabbitz to eat, there are loads of them.

The spinney I shot them is still mine, I did not sell it with the house we just moved from.

The geeza who bought house has been cutting down small trees for his muthuz log burner, he duz not have an open fire.
I warned him to stay out.

Last week we had a offer for said spinney from a developer/builder.

Our son is now applying for planning permission for it, sod the developer.

This the last piece of separate land we have.

Sadly many far right extremists need to express their masculinity, apparently it's linked to their inferiority complex and physical inadequacies.
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:20 pm

what can we say about the hypocrisy of those who eat "farmed" meat, yet condemn game meat???

who have to have their meals killed by proxy, because they are too gutless to kill their own???

and it isnt only R/W that own guns (and use em) is it scrat.....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:21 pm

It's not down to gutlessness - it's more to do with the convenience of Tescos.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Ziz wrote:It's not down to gutlessness - it's more to do with the convenience of Tescos.

sorry Ziz.....the fact tesco's is more convenient is an excuse to condemn those who forgoe the convenience and shoot their own???

thats a bizzare kind of logic is that......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:34 pm

Major wrote:I can manage to prepare most animals/fish for the table but one thing which getz on my breasts is plucking stuff, things for the table.
I am not much good at  dressing pheasants, partridge and pigeon, our son does them for us but not keen on eating anyway them.

Rabbit is best IMHO, the saddle.

I tend to skin a lot of "feathered" stuff....I agree plucking is a bugger....

pigeons is worst.....if ever there was a recipie for a kitchen full of feathers everywhere, its pigeon plucking
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Lord Foul wrote:what can we say about the hypocrisy of those who eat "farmed" meat, yet condemn game meat???

who have to have their meals killed by proxy, because they are too gutless to kill their own???

No indeed, I'm a pro hunting, pro monarchy anti EU lefty and I rarely eat anything other than produce that is presented to me by nature or the farm shop, although I do like Lidls for various luxury items, I just don't feel the need to brag about my hunter gatherer prowess, suffice to say I have the means, the land and the capability to survive.

I hope you find that constructive and non goading.
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:37 pm

I don't disagree with people killing and then eating the meat. Big supermarkets serve crap meat for silly prices.
And don't kill more than you need either.
And do it humanely.

I do NOT, however, agree with hunting as a sport.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:41 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Ziz wrote:It's not down to gutlessness - it's more to do with the convenience of Tescos.

sorry Ziz.....the fact tesco's is more convenient is an excuse to condemn those who forgoe the convenience and shoot their own???

thats a bizzare kind of logic is that......

It would be if I was condemning anyone. Shot A Brace Of Rabbits 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:43 pm

eddie wrote:I don't disagree with people killing and then eating the meat. Big supermarkets serve crap meat for silly prices.
And do it humanely.  

I remember having an excellent discussion with Sphinx about hunting on horseback, and how the horse reacts to the sound of the hounds, ears twitch and nostrils flair, the excitement is tacit, if we lose the ábility to hunt for meat we will be lost.
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Major wrote:In the early 80s I was on leave and 2 of us shot 127 rabbits which had ravaged a rape crop, we shot from the back of a moving Landrover.
127 wow, good job they weren't shooting back!

Some folk keep Lurchers for rabbit and hare they tend to do less damage than a 4/10 or a .22, some idiots use a 12 and then all your doing is removing shot from the meat.
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:07 pm

scrat wrote:
eddie wrote:I don't disagree with people killing and then eating the meat. Big supermarkets serve crap meat for silly prices.
And do it humanely.  

I remember having an excellent discussion with Sphinx about hunting on horseback, and how the horse reacts to the sound of the hounds, ears twitch and nostrils flair, the excitement is tacit, if we lose the ábility to hunt for meat we will be lost.

I remember that conversation actually.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:37 pm

scrat wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:what can we say about the hypocrisy of those who eat "farmed" meat, yet condemn game meat???

No indeed, I'm a pro hunting, pro monarchy anti EU lefty and I rarely eat anything other than produce that is presented to me by nature or the farm shop, although I do like Lidls for various luxury items, I just don't feel the need to brag about my hunter gatherer prowess, suffice to say I have the means, the land and the capability to survive.

I find that a perfectly good response thank you scrat, I suppose one could compare the "hunter bragging" rights to the same applied to cars. motorbikes or even sporting prowess,,some do , some dont Shot A Brace Of Rabbits 2190311264

like yourself I have the means land and ability (and if things carry on the way they are going we might just be gratefull therof)...BTW do you also "fish" ?
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:45 pm

scrat wrote:
Major wrote:In the early 80s I was on leave and 2 of us shot 127 rabbits which had ravaged a rape crop, we shot from the back of a moving Landrover.

Some folk keep Lurchers for rabbit and hare they tend to do less damage than a 4/10 or a .22, some idiots use a 12 and then all your doing is removing shot from the meat.

yup...12 is (although I find the term ludicrous) "overkill" I Did.......once.......use the 410 with 3" 19 grm load.... Rolling Eyes NOT good..... if I use it now its 14 grm.
but my go to is a sub 12ft/lb .177 daystate Mk4.

I am thinking of going to a daystate mk4 or such with FAC air in .22 or .25 and 50 ft/lb....but thats for the future......

BTW Scrat...have you seen/tried that 100ft/lb .303 air rifle that daystate make...interesting...but FAR to heavy for my liking, not something you woud want to lug around with you for too long....

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:46 pm

apparantly...6 rabbits eat as much as one sheep Shot A Brace Of Rabbits 265384880
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:51 pm

I have a .22 ruger semi- auto and use Hollow Points for Rabbits when Lamping. Head shots only.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:00 pm

the only way to go Nicko
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:52 am

I had a .22 FAC Air Rifle break barrel, tried using it in car, it was a little awkward bringing it in from the car window and trying to reload!!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:36 am

Lord Foul wrote:
scrat wrote:

yup...12 is (although I find the term ludicrous) "overkill"  I Did.......once.......use the 410 with 3" 19 grm load.... Rolling Eyes  NOT good..... if I use it now its 14 grm.
but my go to  is a sub 12ft/lb  .177 daystate Mk4.

I am thinking of going to a daystate mk4 or such with FAC air in .22 or .25  and 50 ft/lb....but thats for the future......

BTW Scrat...have you seen/tried that 100ft/lb .303 air rifle that daystate make...interesting...but FAR to heavy for my liking, not something you woud want to lug around with you for too long....

Cool

OR...  There's always the bow and arrow..

Rubber "blunts" are a good choice for arrowheads, for the likes of rabbits, hares and birds for meat.

Shot A Brace Of Rabbits 2088947957
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:52 am

Wolfie, I have an old English Longbow with a pull of 80lbs, when younger I went out a few times with it using "cloth yard" arrows hunting sitting Rabbits. Never got one!!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:11 am

Smile

How close did you stalk them, before releasing those arrows, nicko ???

I haven't tried it, personally -- but I do know that some hunters like to get within 20 metres or so !

"Stump shooting" and 3D shooting (shooting at 3D targets of animals, at various distances up to 60 metres or so..), is good practice for judging range, and learning to shoot uphill and downhill.

I have recurve and compound bows here, but haven't tried a longbow yet.. I'm looking into making some 'traditional' style longbows (and recurves..) in the near future. First, I have to find some suitable timber, then a steep learning curve will follow...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:28 am

the law here forbids bow hunting wolfie....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:40 am

Smile

English law also bans "lockblade" pocket knives -- and maybe half the pocket knives I own have lock back blades on them...      I reckon that the people wording those laws didn't actually know anything about knives --  and confused lockblade knives with flick knives, butterfly knives and propelling knives..

I know that on the Australian RSPCA's policy on their website, their executive (and probably a majority of their mostly city-based membership..) is opposed to bowhunting down here -- I largely blame that on PETA/'Animal rights' types having too much influence these days, and convincing them that bowhunting is "more cruel" than shooting..

(What could be more cruel on rabbits and hares, then being infected with the likes of Myxamitosis, or Calici virus;   or what about being hunted with ferrets or dogs ?)

Likewise,  I could suspect that the British authorities are imagining novices and children running wild, taking pot shots with cheap bows not learning to shoot accurately and properly, and leaving injured and maimed animals suffering unnecessarily  ?        What a Face
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:01 am

Lord Foul wrote:
scrat wrote:

I find that a perfectly good response thank you scrat, I suppose one could compare the "hunter bragging" rights to the same applied to cars. motorbikes or even sporting prowess,,some do , some dont  Shot A Brace Of Rabbits 2190311264

like yourself I have the means land and ability (and if things carry on the  way they are going we might just be gratefull therof)...BTW do you also "fish" ?
Haven't been fishing for years and I'm in earshot of the sea, used to do a lot of beach casting, especially with feathers when the mackerel are in, most of the time I used rag and it's pout and bass, still got the tackle in the shed, I did plenty of course fishing in Germany, 30 years ago, I also did some fly fishing, wish I had the time and inclination to start up again, very reflective sport fishing.

.303 wow that takes me back, I think we had them in the cadets, they still use them as hunting rifles in Africa, solid piece of kit, no it was the SLR for me, I've had a pop with the SA80 fucking awful thing, I suppose they must of improved on it.
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:10 am

yup , but that .303 I mentioned is a PCP AIR rifle .... affraid
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:12 am

Lord Foul wrote:yup , but that .303 I mentioned is a PCP AIR rifle .... affraid

http://www.daystate.com/wolverine.htm
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:27 am

Lord Foul wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:yup , but that .303 I mentioned is a PCP AIR rifle .... affraid

http://www.daystate.com/wolverine.htm
Pellet guns have changed since my day!!!
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:33 pm

Major wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Only if you are jealous of my free meal.

Tiz obvious you live on burguz, beer and bacci by your sorry pathetic attitude.

Rabbit tastes super with fresh veg.

And judging by your glee in killing things, you're a vicious old bastard who loves causing pain and suffering where it's not necessary then coming on here to gloat about it. Expect to be challenged.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:37 pm

Syl, a question..... Do you eat meat?
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Syl, a question..... Do you eat meat?

I'm not sure that's got anything to do with hating gun toting idiots. I think Syl does eat meat but only she can answer that. Some people argue that shooting your own meat is kinder, but I disagree. What if you miss? What if the animal has young to feed? What if you maim it? At least in a slaughter house you know that animal doesn't leave alive.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:25 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

I'm not sure that's got anything to do with hating gun toting idiots.   I think Syl does eat meat but only she can answer that.  Some people argue that shooting your own meat is kinder, but I disagree.   What if you miss?   What if the animal has young to feed?   What if you maim it?   At least in a slaughter house you know that animal doesn't leave alive.  
I'd rather eat meat that was hunted, that had a life, that was free to roam and do its own thing than some battery farmed, pumped with steroids livestock, or that which is grown in a Petri dish!

We should never attempt to disconnect ourselves from what we are, if we lose the ability to hunt we will all be lost if the shit were ever to hit the fan.
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:35 pm

True HT, but then again it hasn't been mistreated at nearly all stages of it growing. , Transport and subsequent death. I have yet to have a bird or small game escape injured. And all your what ifs apply to predation via those cute little foxes you are so fond of,and on a far greater scale. Game birds won't have young, I don't go on driven shoots, and any winged birds are run down and retreived by my springer. Small game (rabbits) don't run when I shoot em. I'm no more likely to miss my mark than you are likely to run someone over in your car.

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:37 pm

scrat wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I'm not sure that's got anything to do with hating gun toting idiots.   I think Syl does eat meat but only she can answer that.  Some people argue that shooting your own meat is kinder, but I disagree.   What if you miss?   What if the animal has young to feed?   What if you maim it?   At least in a slaughter house you know that animal doesn't leave alive.  
I'd rather eat meat that was hunted, that had a life, that was free to roam and do its own thing than some battery farmed, pumped with steroids livestock, or that which is grown in a Petri dish!

We should never attempt to disconnect ourselves from what we are, if we lose the ability to hunt we will all be lost if the shit were ever to hit the fan.
Well said Scrat
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:43 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
scrat wrote:

Well said Scrat
Thank you, I often wonder what would become of us in the event of a collapse into anarchy, I think many would simply starve, horrified that meat does not come neatly presented, blood free and wrapped in cling film.
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:56 pm

A comment that was heard by an acquaintance of mine

"I only buy my meat from the supermarket, where no animals are harmed".

HUH?

Almost as good as the woman complaining about "radiation" from a cell phone who was told that she got more radiation from the sun... Yeah she said....but that's natural Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:32 pm

Lord Foul wrote:True HT, but then again it hasn't been mistreated at nearly all stages of it growing. , Transport and subsequent death.  I have yet to have a bird or small game escape injured. And all your what ifs apply to predation via those cute little foxes you are so fond of,and on a far greater scale. Game birds won't have young, I don't go on driven shoots, and any winged birds are run down and retreived by my springer. Small game (rabbits) don't run when I shoot em. I'm no more likely to miss my mark than you are likely to run someone over in your car.

I think that's debatable. Hunting is a very primordial urge that I don't feel belongs in this day and age. And I think those who hunt do so because they enjoy the kill. You can dress it up in any form you choose to justify it but it's the thrill of the kill and that doesn't sit well with me. No hunter is going to openly admit that he's caused suffering. You can't justify hunting on the grounds of ecology either. Nature is another thing, humans toting guns for the pleasure of killing is not even on a par with that.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:17 pm

You are mistaken HT. Hunting (and perforce pest control) is very necessary . Both for human and animal/ bird life. As humans have modified the environment, the natural predator prey balance has been lost. Like it or not WE are now the apex predator for almost every species.  The decline in song birds for instance is NOT entirely due to domestic cats. Corvids are the worst cause of song bird loss in rural areas, closely followed by grey squirrels.
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:33 pm

The hunting instinct is strong in some men, they can't help it it's in their genes. I'v hunted and fished since I was 9 years old. My Father and his Father did the same. If push comes to shove you'd be grateful that a Man could look after you and feed and protect you. Looking at some of the so called MEN of today I feel you'd be dead in a week!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:31 pm

Syl wrote:I don't think I have ever eaten rabbit......or veal or venison.
I am a vegetarian struggling to break out of a meat eaters body I think. pig

Me too, this thread might have persuaded me though.

I do eat meat although sometimes I get repulsed at the thought of eating dead animals.

That chicken in the oven is making me feel ill Embarassed
Bella
Bella
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:59 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

I beleive rasing your own to be the most responsible, or sourcing from responsible farmers

Hunting is just take, not putting anything back
if everyone did it there would be nothing at all.

If I rasie a Chicken I know the quality of life it has had (plus you get a bunch of eggs along the way) Cool
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:00 pm

Lord Foul wrote:You are mistaken HT. Hunting (and perforce pest control) is very necessary . Both for human and animal/ bird life. As humans have modified the environment, the natural predator prey balance has been lost. Like it or not WE are now the apex predator for almost every species.  The decline in song birds for instance is NOT entirely due to domestic cats. Corvids are the worst cause of song bird loss in rural areas, closely followed by grey squirrels.

this is true in the UK.

you really need to import a thousands of foxes and some wolves to but the balance back
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:11 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I beleive rasing your own to be the most responsible, or sourcing from responsible farmers

Hunting is just take, not putting anything back
if everyone did it there would be nothing at all.

If I rasie a Chicken I know the quality of life it has had (plus you get a bunch of eggs along the way) Cool

I'd say that was the best way.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next