NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Young Boxer Dies

3 posters

Go down

Young Boxer Dies Empty Young Boxer Dies

Post by JulesV Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:52 pm

I can think of nothing more tragic. RIP
Did this  25yo man have to die?
He was a scottish boxer. KO'd in the ring by a welsh lad.

Young Boxer Dies Mike-300x160

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/37533919

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/37536346

''You might think the fact that Mike Towell's defining battle took place on an operating table rather than in a ring would cause even boxing's most ardent supporters to question its legitimacy as a sport, perhaps even its existence.
But the day after the Scottish fighter died, having sustained severe bleeding and swelling to his brain in a British title eliminator on Thursday, boxing gyms would have been full across the country. "Tragic news about Mike Towell," they would have said, before savagely assaulting a heavy bag.
On Saturday, professional boxing shows took place in Buxton, Manchester, Stoke, London and the former Yorkshire pit village of Denaby Main. In Glasgow, where Towell's final prize fight took place, 22 men climbed between the ropes at the Bellahouston Leisure Centre. Some won, some lost, some had their senses scrambled. But none was there against his will.
Abolitionists argue that such people should be saved from themselves. And if you were to build a utopia, boxing would surely not be a part of it. But anyone who reads the newspapers or watches the news will know that utopia is not imminent. And, anyway, how utopian is restricting a person's choice?
I didn't know Towell but I have met many men like him. The typical boxer is diffident, far removed from the lazy stereotype of the snarling bully. But the typical boxer - or at least the typical boxer who has tasted success in the ring - will also speak of an addictive, sometimes pathological, need to fight.''

No  
There are already measures in place to minimise boxing deaths but what further measures are needed to prevent such tragedies in future.
Should referees step in sooner? Should boxers have more frequent precautionary scans?
The world of boxing is in mourning.  Sad

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Young Boxer Dies Empty Re: Young Boxer Dies

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:06 pm

I used to love watching boxing when it was proper boxing years ago. My ex used to have all the old fights, Hagler, Sugar Ray Robinson and Leonard, Hearnes and Roberto Duran. Brilliant fights. He was also friends with Nigel Benn so we used to watch him.
Then it got boring and Eubank showed up. I saw the live fight where he knocked Michael Watson (was that his name??) out and the guy was in a really bad way. It put me off after that.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by JulesV Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:49 am

Hmm. No forum tears for the young scots lad . I am out of sync with most people, cos I found this death deeply disturbing and saddening.

To die from a boxing bout is to be quite literally beaten to death. Boxers only do it to escape poverty. There aren't any children of upper class folk in a boxing ring.

Deaths in boxing aren't that common, but it's a Russian roulette in its randomness. No one sees it coming.

Oddly enough the very first boxing death I remember, growing up, was of a welsh lad Johnny Owen. Like towell, too young to die, he was only 24.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:52 am

Like eddie I suddenly stopped enjoying watching boxing, one day. It's simply too brutal, even with the highly disciplined fighters.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down