NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HIV cure hope after UK trial of pioneering virus treatment

+8
HoratioTarr
Tommy Monk
Raggamuffin
Eilzel
'Wolfie
blackie333
Ben Reilly
eddie
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

HIV cure hope after UK trial of pioneering virus treatment Empty HIV cure hope after UK trial of pioneering virus treatment

Post by eddie Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:52 pm

HIV cure hope after UK trial of pioneering virus treatment

HIV cure hope after UK trial of pioneering virus treatment Image122

A British man who is undergoing a pioneering treatment for HIV hopes to become the first person in the world to be cured of the virus, it has been reported.

Scientists treating the 44-year-old patient said he had shown "remarkable" progress under the therapy, designed to track down and destroy the virus in every part of the body.

He is the first of 50 people to complete a trial of the treatment, described as "one of the first serious attempts at a full cure for HIV

HIV is the virus which causes AIDS - which leaves an individual's immune system too weak to be able to fight off infection.

If the bid to find an irreversible cure is successful, it could not only save the NHS millions of pounds but also offer hope to the almost 37 million people living with HIV globally.

Sub-Saharan Africa has the most serious HIV and AIDS epidemic in the world, with southern Africa the worst affected region.

The trailblazing research is being carried out by a collaboration between five of the UK's top universities, organised by the NHS.

Mark Samuels, managing director of the National Institute for Health Research Office for Clinical Research Infrastructure, told the Sunday Times: "This is one of the first serious attempts at a full cure for HIV.

"We are exploring the real possibility of curing HIV.

"This is a huge challenge and it's still early days but the progress has been remarkable."

http://news.sky.com/story/hiv-cure-hope-after-uk-trial-of-pioneering-virus-treatment-10602787

This is simply fantastic news. A cause very close to my heart.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

HIV cure hope after UK trial of pioneering virus treatment Empty Re: HIV cure hope after UK trial of pioneering virus treatment

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:00 pm

Really amazing. I think most of us here remember how terrified people were back in the 80s when this first started to become an epidemic. I hope to see it cured.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

HIV cure hope after UK trial of pioneering virus treatment Empty Re: HIV cure hope after UK trial of pioneering virus treatment

Post by eddie Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:04 pm

I watch all kinds of documentaries and films about the AIDS epidemic - it really upset me when it first broke.
Gay people had fought for years to be taken seriously and for their love not to be hidden away like it was a dirty secret, then AIDS hit their communities and it devastated their cause and set them back years - they became "dirty" again.
It affected me deeply at the time that there were millions being shunned for their love.

I want to see this disease cured.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:07 am

You don't have to understand them, Blacks. Just live your own life and let them live theirs. No judgment unless they're hurting people, which, near as I can tell, they ain't.

Why do we have to make it more complicated than that?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:40 am

blackie333 wrote:
eddie wrote:I watch all kinds of documentaries and films about the AIDS epidemic - it really upset me when it first broke.
Gay people had fought for years to be taken seriously and for their love not to be hidden away like it was a dirty secret, then AIDS hit their communities and it devastated their cause and set them back years - they became "dirty" again.
It affected me deeply at the time that there were millions being shunned for their love.

I have sympathy for lots of things Eds but not Aids as I believe it's their own fault for sticking their peckers
where it's not meant to be in the first place.
I dont understand gays at all Sad

People should be able to stick whatever they want into another person as long as it's consensual.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:19 am

Idea

WORLDWIDE,  only around 25% of HiV/AIDS cases have been contracted/transmitted through IV drug use or 'gay sex' and dangerous sex behaviours combined...

Those faux moralists who attempt to claim that it's another plague being visited upon a perverted populace by their particular vengeful 'God' simply don't have the facts and figures to back their positions..        Suspect
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:46 am

blackie333 wrote:
WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Idea

WORLDWIDE,  only around 25% of HiV/AIDS cases have been contracted/transmitted through IV drug use or 'gay sex' and dangerous sex behaviours combined...

Those faux moralists who attempt to claim that it's another plague being visited upon a perverted populace by their particular vengeful 'God' simply don't have the facts and figures to back their positions..        Suspect

My bum stays firmly stuck to the wall when there's a  mere hint of gay guys in the room WW lol!

Know what? I think you're safe Blackie. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:47 am

Well said wolfie. alien
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:13 am

blackie333 wrote:

My bum stays firmly stuck to the wall when there's a  mere hint of gay guys in the room WW lol!

Strange habit! Especially so since most men I know wear pants/trousers...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:15 am

Isn't this great news Les? A topic I follow closely and something I feel really strongly about.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:21 am

Any progress is great news imo Eds, of course. It is early days though. A big problem in the LGBT community now is a minority have become ignorant of the issue causing it to spread in some areas.

If this leads to an end to that, that would be great Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:30 am

Eilzel wrote:Any progress is great news imo Eds, of course. It is early days though. A big problem in the LGBT community now is a minority have become ignorant of the issue causing it to spread in some areas.

If this leads to an end to that, that would be great Smile

Les, have you seen the film "The normal Heart"?
Google it if you haven't and then watch it X
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:23 am

It's brilliant news, still a few years away unfortunately I think, but definitely a big step forward.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:33 am

sassy wrote:It's brilliant news, still a few years away unfortunately I think, but definitely a big step forward.

It's disconcerting that, as Les has stated, some younger LBGT people are a tad ignorant to the AIDS facts. Perhaps this issue should be re-advertised, leaflets etc reinforcing safe sex.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Google it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:28 pm

eddie wrote:
sassy wrote:It's brilliant news, still a few years away unfortunately I think, but definitely a big step forward.

It's disconcerting that, as Les has stated, some younger LBGT people are a tad ignorant to the AIDS facts. Perhaps this issue should be re-advertised, leaflets etc reinforcing safe sex.

Why just target them? If they're in a minority, it's the heterosexual people who should be warned. It's absurd that there are people around who don't know about HIV/AIDS anyway.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:56 pm

Here in uk...

Of those living with HIV, 45,000 were gay men and 54,100 had been infected through heterosexual sex. Many of those infected heterosexually (about 60%) are black African people. In total, 2,160 people were infected through injecting drug use.

Black African people make up 1.8% of the UK population but 29% of all people living with HIV

55% of those diagnosed in 2014 were homosexuals.

Last edited by Tommy Monk on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:08 pm

eddie wrote:I watch all kinds of documentaries and films about the AIDS epidemic - it really upset me when it first broke.

It's not just a 'gay' disease though, is it?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:50 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:

It's not just a 'gay' disease though, is it?

No of course not but I was only referring to when it first broke out and howmit affected gays.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:00 pm

When the news first started about this disease... it was said how everyone was at risk of it...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

When the news first started about this disease... it was said how everyone was at risk of it...

That's right. Gay men were more at risk, and still are I think - statistically speaking, but it would be very silly to assume that it only affects gay men, and anyone with any sense knew that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:24 pm

Not at first they didn't, they called it "Gay cancer".
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:41 pm

eddie wrote:Not at first they didn't, they called it "Gay cancer".

You may well be right that it became said that gays were the main high risk group... but that's not my recollection of what was originally said when the news/media first started broadcasting the warnings...

I was made to feel like I was at considerable risk of getting it as a teenager... and have always had a slight worry in the back of my mind about it since then to be honest...

But a totally unfounded/unnecessary worry... because even now there are only 100,000 or so cases in uk and almost all of those cases are homosexuals/bisexuals or black Africans, and other heterosexuals who have had sex with homosexuals/bisexuals or black Africans...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:44 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay-related_immune_deficiency

That explains the history rather well.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:51 pm

This explains the history of uk govt aids/hiv campaign rather well...

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/1979to2006/filmpage_aids.htm

Which is when the overwhelming vast majority of us here in uk first ever heard of it.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:54 pm

eddie wrote:Not at first they didn't, they called it "Gay cancer".

I recall the same thing as Tommy. It was more prevalent in gay men at the time obviously, but the warnings were to everyone.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:54 pm

1986/1987
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:55 pm

In the US it started in about 80/81
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:56 pm

"The term AIDS (for acquired immune deficiency syndrome) was proposed later in 1982[6] by researchers concerned with the accuracy of the disease's name. In this new name, scientists were supported by political figures who realized that the term "gay-related" did not fully encompass the demographics of the disease. On April 23, 1984, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary announced at a press conference that the probable cause of AIDS had been discovered: the retrovirus that was subsequently named human immunodeficiency virus or HIV in 1986."

From my link.

Anyway it isn't about when it started, this thread is about finding a cure.

Last edited by eddie on Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:57 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
1986/1987

I think I first heard of it a few years earlier than that, but only rather vaguely.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:59 pm

The uk ad campaign was when I first heard about it and was made to feel like I was at high risk of getting it...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:01 pm

By then they knew more. My knowledge is of the US gay scene where it first became very apparent.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:02 pm

Anyway, re a cure. I wish them luck with that, but it's a virus, and so far there hasn't been much progress in curing any virus via medical interventions.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:06 pm

Some interesting stuff about the race to find the cause of AIDS, and the competition between French and American scientists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luc_Montagnier
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:11 pm

eddie wrote:By then they knew more.  My knowledge is of the US gay scene where it first became very apparent.

Then it is no real surprise that it was thought to be a gay related disease...?

How/why were you so aware of this way back then...?

Wouldn't you have only been about 12 years old at the time?

And at a time way before the uk govt ad campaign started... and where most people had never heard of it until 1986/7...?
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:19 pm

Re this business about it being gay related: It clearly was at the time because it was gay men who were getting this strange illness, at least in the US. These things have to start somewhere, and obviously gay men were unlikely to be having sex with women, unless they were bisexual, so it was spreading amongst gay men. In addition to that, the kind of sex involved does have a higher risk of transmission. However, it was very naive of heterosexual people to think that such a virus was targeting gay men specifically, and to assume that it couldn't possibly affect them at some point. Of course other groups of people were being affected too - recipients of blood transfusions and drug users who shared needles.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:26 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
eddie wrote:By then they knew more.  My knowledge is of the US gay scene where it first became very apparent.

Then it is no real surprise that it was thought to be a gay related disease...?

How/why were you so aware of this way back then...?

Wouldn't you have only been about 12 years old at the time?

And at a time way before the uk govt ad campaign started... and where most people had never heard of it until 1986/7...?

Because when I was about 21 I worked with one of the most beautiful souls I have ever met and he had HIV. He taught me a lot about it and I have watched lots of stuff since.

Bill, his name was. He wrote me two lines on a piece of paper that I've kept and memorised, but I've dug it out of my purse just to make sure I've got it all:

"Don't ever forget how beautiful and rare you are, like a bird that flies free. You have heard me and loved me for who I am, and that is rare too. I'll never forget our friendship nor "The Day We Had Fuck All To Do So We Just Spent It Laughing x"
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:27 pm

It's been around a long time.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:30 pm

Prince said it best...A big disease with a little name.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:35 pm

eddie wrote:HIV cure hope after UK trial of pioneering virus treatment

HIV cure hope after UK trial of pioneering virus treatment Image122

A British man who is undergoing a pioneering treatment for HIV hopes to become the first person in the world to be cured of the virus, it has been reported.

Scientists treating the 44-year-old patient said he had shown "remarkable" progress under the therapy, designed to track down and destroy the virus in every part of the body.

He is the first of 50 people to complete a trial of the treatment, described as "one of the first serious attempts at a full cure for HIV

HIV is the virus which causes AIDS - which leaves an individual's immune system too weak to be able to fight off infection.  

If the bid to find an irreversible cure is successful, it could not only save the NHS millions of pounds but also offer hope to the almost 37 million people living with HIV globally.

Sub-Saharan Africa has the most serious HIV and AIDS epidemic in the world, with southern Africa the worst affected region.

The trailblazing research is being carried out by a collaboration between five of the UK's top universities, organised by the NHS.

Mark Samuels, managing director of the National Institute for Health Research Office for Clinical Research Infrastructure, told the Sunday Times: "This is one of the first serious attempts at a full cure for HIV.

"We are exploring the real possibility of curing HIV.

"This is a huge challenge and it's still early days but the progress has been remarkable."

http://news.sky.com/story/hiv-cure-hope-after-uk-trial-of-pioneering-virus-treatment-10602787

This is simply fantastic news. A cause very close to my heart.

I've read of a couple of cases where people have allegedly been cured of HIV. In one case it happened spontaneously in a baby. I'm not sure of the authenticity.

But this is heartening news. HIV stopped being an automatic death sentence a long time ago, thank goodness.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:23 am

blackie333 wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Hetero's only can get Aids if going with someone who has had gay sex in the past TM or someone that someone in their past has without them knowing.
You have to be careful nowadays, it's not like the Seventies or Eighties anymore when you'd just jump into bed with anyone if pretty and wearing a mini skirt lol.

Here in uk...

Of those living with HIV, 45,000 were gay men and 54,100 had been infected through heterosexual sex. Many of those infected heterosexually are black African people. In total, 2,160 people were infected through injecting drug use.

Black African people make up 1.8% of the UK population but 29% of all people living with HIV

55% of those diagnosed in 2014 were homosexuals.
Idea

IN THE UK, USA, Western Europe and Australasia, over 75% of the existing cases of HiV/AIDS have been contracted through either Gay sex related activities or IV drug use (i.e. sharing needles..).

HOWEVER, on a world wide basis, the main risk areas and "hot spots" for the transmission and spread of HiV is now in parts of India, and various sub-Saharan African nations --  where over 90% of new cases are contracted via heterosexual activity;  exacerbated by unprotected sex by prostitutes in many parts of the Indian sub-continent, and extremely promiscuous activity in certain African tribes in some of the poorer regions..

SO THAT, overall, these figures bring the global proportions up to approaching that 75% of overall infections from hetero's, maybe 15% from riskier Gay_sex activities, and the remaining 9 or 10% from such things as dirty needles, blood transfusions (not so much now, since they started testing blood and screening donors back in the late 80s/early 90s), or (rarely..) emergency workers and nurses getting needle-stick injuries or blood contact..          Arrow
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:40 am

Once again, Tommy's just trying to associate society's ills with a group of people he hates. You can read him like a book Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:30 am

Wasn't it supposed to be started by Monkeys?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:34 am

nicko wrote:Wasn't it supposed to be started by Monkeys?

What, Tommy's thought process?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next