NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British doctors hail 'cure for blindness' with successful treatment of age-related muscular degeneration

2 posters

Go down

British doctors hail 'cure for blindness' with successful treatment of age-related muscular degeneration Empty British doctors hail 'cure for blindness' with successful treatment of age-related muscular degeneration

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:58 am

Groundbreaking operation was carried out be surgeons at London’s Moorfields Eye Hospital Rex British surgeons have taken a “big step forward” towards curing the most common form of blindness by developing and successfully performing a ground breaking operation. Surgeons at London’s Moorfields Eye Hospital carried out the first operation on a female patient with wet age-related muscular degeneration (AMD), characterised by leaking blood vessels. They now believe that the same procedure could apply to dry AMD, which accounts for nine out of 10 of the 600,000 people affected by the condition in the UK. AMD affects central vision which is what you see when focus straight ahead, according to NHS Choices. In AMD this vision becomes increasingly blurred, which means that reading becomes difficult, colours appear less vibrant and people’s face are difficult to recognise. By 2020, it's predicted almost 700,000 people will have late-stage AMD in the UK.

However, after performing surgery on the 60-year patient, who was classified as legally blind, surgeons are optimistic of a breakthrough, although the full impact on her sight is known. She is one of 10 people to take part in the trial. After taking a single stem cell from an embryo and growing a patch of cells in a laboratory, these were then transplanted into the patient’s eye. The cells were taken unused embryos created during IVF treatment that went unused. “The reason why we are so excited is that we have been able to grow a perfect copy of the eye,” Professor Lyndon Da Cruz, a surgeon at Moorfields told the Telegraph. He added that he optimistic that the patient’s sight would be restored. “Having got this far, we feel it will work,” Prof Cruz said. “There has been a lot of research behind this and this is not looking like a route to treatment.” The surgery could be routine within five years, he said. Professor Chris Mason, a professor of regenerative medicine at University College London, described the surgery as “a big step forward to curing a major cause of blindness.” If the trials were successful he told The Telegraph that the therapy could be “affordably manufactured at large scale,” enabling all patients to benefit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/british-doctors-hail-cure-for-blindness-with-successful-treatment-of-age-related-muscular-a6671106.html

Back to top Go down

British doctors hail 'cure for blindness' with successful treatment of age-related muscular degeneration Empty Re: British doctors hail 'cure for blindness' with successful treatment of age-related muscular degeneration

Post by eddie Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:01 pm

I can't imagine the horror of being blind. This is great news.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

British doctors hail 'cure for blindness' with successful treatment of age-related muscular degeneration Empty Re: British doctors hail 'cure for blindness' with successful treatment of age-related muscular degeneration

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:16 pm

eddie wrote:I can't imagine the horror of being blind. This is great news.

Indeed eddie, I cannot imagine.
This is great news and it does make me marvel at medical breakthroughs.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:21 pm

As you know I'm not a fan of most science affraid but sometimes it leaves me humbled and eating my own words.....and for giving someone the gift of sight, I'm happy to eat my words a million times over.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:29 pm

eddie wrote:As you know I'm not a fan of most science affraid but sometimes it leaves me humbled and eating my own words.....and for giving someone the gift of sight, I'm happy to eat my words a million times over.

This is what I do not grasp about you Eddie.
You have faith in nothing you can see or provide evidence for, a deity, though at least your faith is harmless and is personal and something many could get on board with. But then you have little faith in science, which actually does pull off what was once thought impossible.
Anyhow you have no need to eat humble pie.

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:39 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
eddie wrote:As you know I'm not a fan of most science affraid but sometimes it leaves me humbled and eating my own words.....and for giving someone the gift of sight, I'm happy to eat my words a million times over.

This is what I do not grasp about you Eddie.
You have faith in nothing you can see or provide evidence for, a deity, though at least your faith is harmless and is personal and something many could get on board with. But then you have little faith in science, which actually does pull off what was once thought impossible.
Anyhow you have no need to eat humble pie.

Laughing

I am an enigma didge, even to myself lol!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:39 pm

It is great news! One of our friends is gradually losing his sight, it started with the loss of his peripheral vision and eventually he will not be able to see at all. Heartbreaking Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:42 pm

feelthelove wrote:

It is great news!  One of our friends is gradually losing his sight, it started with the loss of his peripheral vision and eventually he will not be able to see at all.  Heartbreaking Sad  

Let's hope he can be helped FTL x
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:08 pm

eddie wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

It is great news!  One of our friends is gradually losing his sight, it started with the loss of his peripheral vision and eventually he will not be able to see at all.  Heartbreaking Sad  

I hope so, he lost his wife suddenly as a result of an undiagnosed heart defect when she was 40 and left to raise his two children alone.  Tough when he lives in the country and is not allowed to drive, I would love to see this work for him.  It must be terrible to be blind but I always imagine it to be harder when you lose your sight when you have been able to see and know what you are missing Sad x

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:10 pm

feelthelove wrote:
eddie wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

I hope so, he lost his wife suddenly as a result of an undiagnosed heart defect when she was 40 and left to raise his two children alone.  Tough when he lives in the country and is not allowed to drive, I would love to see this work for him.  It must be terrible to be blind but I always imagine it to be harder when you lose your sight when you have been able to see and know what you are missing Sad x

Yes I was going to say that. To be born blind is horrible enough but to then lose your sight must be very very frightening.

Ps I wrote "blond" instead of blind.....you'd have killed me if I hadn't rectified that one! lol!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:35 pm

Great news!

Maybe some of the lefties will be able to get some of it to help them with their 'blind eye syndrome'...!?

Laughing

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down