NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sir Chris Chataway has died - aged 82

Go down

Sir Chris Chataway has died - aged 82 Empty Sir Chris Chataway has died - aged 82

Post by Irn Bru Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:53 pm

Probably best remembered as a middle distance runner who helped Roger Bannister to break the 4 minute mile barrier and for breaking world records himself. A true sportsman and also a brilliant broadcaster who campaigned endlessly to help famine relief in Africa.
Also a conviction politician who bucked the Tory trend of the day by calling for an end to Apartheid and for the England Test Team to refuse to tour in South Africa.
One of the few Tory politicians who I can honestly say I would vote for if he was standing as a candidate in my constituency.

RIP Sir Chris Chataway - a legend
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Sir Chris Chataway has died - aged 82 Empty Re: Sir Chris Chataway has died - aged 82

Post by Guest Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:02 pm

RIP indeed IRN.

Back to top Go down

Sir Chris Chataway has died - aged 82 Empty Re: Sir Chris Chataway has died - aged 82

Post by Guest Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:30 pm

I remember watching him at White City, and Gordon Pirie, though I was only little, my Dad and my Grandad and I went to see them. RIP, a legend.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Sassy wrote:I remember watching him at White City, and Gordon Pirie, though I was only little, my Dad and my Grandad and I went to see them.   RIP, a legend.

The White City is what I remember most as well. You mentioned Gordon Pirie who was another great middle distance runner. We were really were blessed with middle distance runners back in those days and the tussles some had with the Oz runner Herb Elliot were legendary.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:55 pm

We seemed to have so many of them, all so talented.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down