NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CofE bishop reveals he is in a gay relationship

+4
Original Quill
Syl
Tommy Monk
eddie
8 posters

Go down

CofE bishop reveals he is in a gay relationship Empty CofE bishop reveals he is in a gay relationship

Post by eddie Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:32 pm

CofE bishop reveals he is in a gay relationship

CofE bishop reveals he is in a gay relationship Image11

Bishop Chamberlain is said to be in a long-term - but celibate - relationship.

The bishop of Grantham has become the first Church of England bishop to say that he is gay and in a relationship.

Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain, a suffragan in Lincoln diocese, was consecrated last year by Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby - who has said he knew about the bishop's sexuality.

He was in a "long term and committed" relationship, Archbishop Welby said.

Bishop Chamberlain says he obeys Church guidelines which say gay clergy must remain celibate.

The archbishop also said: "His appointment as Bishop of Grantham was made on the basis of his skills and calling to serve the Church in the Diocese of Lincoln.

"He lives within the Bishops' guidelines and his sexuality is completely irrelevant to his office."

'Not secret'

A Church of England spokesman said: "Nicholas has not misled anyone and has been open and truthful if asked. The matter is not secret, although it is private as is the case with all partnerships/relationships."

Bishop Chamberlain made the disclosure in an interview with the Guardian, and it has been reported that he gave the interview because his private life was about to be exposed by a Sunday newspaper.

"It was not my decision to make a big thing about coming out," he told the newspaper.

"People know I'm gay, but it's not the first thing I'd say to anyone. Sexuality is part of who I am, but it's my ministry that I want to focus on."

It's thought no serving bishop has ever before gone public about their sexuality. The former archbishop of York, Lord Hope, said in 1995 that his sexuality was a "grey area".

The Dean of St Albans, the Very Reverend Jeffrey John, withdrew from the race to become Bishop of Reading in 2003 after an angry reaction from traditionalist Anglicans about his sexuality.

Bishop Chamberlain's revelation is likely to cause further tension among Anglicans.

Last month 72 traditionalist members of the church's ruling general synod wrote to all bishops, encouraging them to abide by biblical teaching on sexuality.

Last week the Archbishop of Canterbury said in an interview that he "couldn't see the road ahead" when it came to the Church's policy on sexuality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37257005
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

CofE bishop reveals he is in a gay relationship Empty Re: CofE bishop reveals he is in a gay relationship

Post by eddie Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:37 pm

Good for him and though more importantly, why should he even have to disclose his sexuality? The reason? Because a "Sunday shitrag newspaper" was about to out him. What business is it of theirs or ours?
I've been thinking a lot about relationships today and the different types of relationships there are, and I always end up coming back to "You can't help how you feel". And why should you even try to help it?

Leave this man in peace.
I'm glad he took away the glory from the shitrag newspaper's tacky little story.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

CofE bishop reveals he is in a gay relationship Empty Re: CofE bishop reveals he is in a gay relationship

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:04 am

Clear conflict of interest here eddie...

And are we really to believe him trying to claim being in a homosexual relationship as well as being 'celebate'...

I seem to remember people saying that a Muslim who refuses to handle alcohol shouldn't be in a job where this was a requirement... just like a vegetarian shouldn't be working in a butchers while refusing to handle meat...

Same applies here...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:26 am

He's not having sex. He's celibate. What oath is he breaking?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:06 pm

eddie wrote:He's not having sex. He's celibate. What oath is he breaking?

I think it's sad he's not having sex, it's part of a healthy, happy and loving relationship.  Why shouldn't he be able to share that love with his partner.  

Why do people think they have the right to dictate other's private lives  CofE bishop reveals he is in a gay relationship No_no_10

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:11 pm

He probably is but just lying about it... another reason why he is not fit to be a bishop...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:41 pm

feelthelove wrote:
eddie wrote:He's not having sex. He's celibate. What oath is he breaking?

I think it's sad he's not having sex, it's part of a healthy, happy and loving relationship.  Why shouldn't he be able to share that love with his partner.  

Why do people think they have the right to dictate other's private lives  CofE bishop reveals he is in a gay relationship No_no_10

I totally agree alien

It's sad they can't show eachother how they feel in a physical way, everyone deserves that.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:42 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:He probably is but just lying about it... another reason why he is not fit to be a bishop...

Okay, so why do you assume he's lying?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:04 pm

Another development:

Gay bishop: Appointment of Nicholas Chamberlain 'major error' says Gafcon

Bishop Chamberlain is said to be in a long-term - but celibate - relationship.
The appointment of the bishop of Grantham was a "major error", the conservative Anglican group Gafcon has said.

Bishop Nicholas Chamberlain revealed he was gay and in relationship on Friday.

He was consecrated by the archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby - who has said he knew about the bishop's sexuality.

But Gafcon, a group which includes conservative Anglicans around the world, said there had been an "element of secrecy" in his appointment.

A statement from Gafcon said the news about Bishop Chamberlain would "exacerbate" divisions within the Church of England and the wider Anglican world.

'Serious concern'

"There are aspects of this appointment which are a serious cause for concern for biblically orthodox Anglicans around the world, and therefore we believe that this appointment is a major error," the Gafcon statement added.

It said the "element of secrecy" in Bishop Chamberlain's appointment gave the impression "that it has been arranged with the aim of presenting the Church with a 'fait accompli', rather than engaging with possible opposition."

The statement was signed by the Most Reverend Peter Jensen, who is the group's general secretary, and Canon Andy Lines, who is the chairman of Gafcon's UK task force.

Bishop Chamberlain's sexuality was disclosed in an interview with the Guardian, and it has been reported that he gave the interview because his private life was about to be exposed by a Sunday newspaper.

Remain celibate

He says he obeys Church guidelines, which say gay clergy must remain celibate.

"It was not my decision to make a big thing about coming out," he told the newspaper.

"People know I'm gay, but it's not the first thing I'd say to anyone. Sexuality is part of who I am, but it's my ministry that I want to focus on."

In response to the Guardian's story, Archbishop Welby said: "His appointment as bishop of Grantham was made on the basis of his skills and calling to serve the Church in the Diocese of Lincoln.

"He lives within the bishops' guidelines and his sexuality is completely irrelevant to his office."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37267148
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:01 pm

I was going to post that article...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:32 pm

The rule that certain members of the Catholic church remain celibate ( a rule that applies to straight men not only gay men) is a ridiculous man made rule that should be banished from the church altogether.
It goes against human nature.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:57 pm

eddie wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:He probably is but just lying about it... another reason why he is not fit to be a bishop...

Okay, so why do you assume he's lying?

C'mon eds. He just makes shit up as he goes along. You should know that.

If the facts aren't convenient, fabricate! It's in the RW manifesto. Twisted Evil

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:13 pm

Well I do know that Tomny and I clash over this kind of issue.
I'm still waiting for an answer.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:47 pm

Major wrote:I cannot comment on this vile issue or I will be banned.

I'll do it for you.

Major thinks that he should not be allowed to remain in his position, as his homosexuality conflicts with the teachings of his religion, regardless of whether he acts on it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:58 am

It does conflict with the teachings, but I don't give a shit.

nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:59 am

nicko wrote:It does conflict with the teachings,     but I don't give a shit.

alien alien alien
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:02 am

????
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:06 am

nicko wrote:????

I gave you green aliens because I support your attitude on this issue, Nicko.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:23 am

Major wrote:I cannot comment on this vile issue or I will be banned.

We don't ban people for having an opnion.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:29 am

Syl wrote:The rule that certain members of the Catholic church remain celibate ( a rule that applies to straight men not only gay men) is a ridiculous man made rule that should be banished from the church altogether.

It's a wonder the Catholic priest community aren't blind.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:20 pm

Laughing
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Syl Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:34 pm

Major wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

THEY ARE towards PAEDOZ.

True....they can condemn a man for being in a loving relationship with another, but turn a blind eye when they are ruining the lives of children.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:08 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:The rule that certain members of the Catholic church remain celibate ( a rule that applies to straight men not only gay men) is a ridiculous man made rule that should be banished from the church altogether.

How rude CofE bishop reveals he is in a gay relationship Giggle12 alien

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down