NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Benefits Street is ruining our reputation': Big Issue slams documentary after Fungi shown pretending to be seller

2 posters

Go down

'Benefits Street is ruining our reputation': Big Issue slams documentary after Fungi shown pretending to be seller   Empty 'Benefits Street is ruining our reputation': Big Issue slams documentary after Fungi shown pretending to be seller

Post by Guest Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:50 am

'Benefits Street is ruining our reputation': Big Issue slams documentary after Fungi shown pretending to be seller   Benefits-Street-2997873

Controversial: Former drug addict Fungi was shown pretending to sell the Big Issue
Channel 4
The Big Issue has accused Benefits Street of damaging its reputation after a 'star' of the programme was pictured conning locals out of cash by posing as a vendor.

A former drug addict known as Fungi was shown in the first episode of the Channel 4 documentary pretending to be an official seller of the magazines.

Instead, he handed over a free publication, taken from a Birmingham hotel.

But Big Issue editor Paul McNamee told the Birmingham Mail: "We are very angry and upset about this – it’s a con. This goes against everything the Big Issue stands for and this damages our reputation.

"We are thankful the public have reacted in the way they have – in support of the Big Issue and how it exists to allow people on the margins of society to make a legal living in society."

Mr McNamee added: "When someone does this they are trading on our name and it’s damaging.

"In one way it highlights the struggles honest vendors face. But one piece of bad publicity like that has a negative impact on the rest of the vendors.

"The weather at the moment makes it very hard for them, these things compound it. We are so glad our sellers are honest and very angry about this type of behaviour."

A Channel 4 spokesman said: “It’s very clear in the programme that Fungi is not a Big Issue vendor.”

An online petition calling on Channel 4 to axe the programme, watched last Monday by 4.3 million people, has attracted more than 14,000 signatures.

The protest was started by Arshad Mahmood on Change.org, which hosts petition-led campaigns in Britain and the US.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/benefits-street-slammed-big-issue-3007887

Right then, so it's all staged!....Should be pulled ASAP.  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

Back to top Go down

'Benefits Street is ruining our reputation': Big Issue slams documentary after Fungi shown pretending to be seller   Empty Re: 'Benefits Street is ruining our reputation': Big Issue slams documentary after Fungi shown pretending to be seller

Post by Guest Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:56 am

....I thought that bit was well and truly staged, when he went up to that posh woman in her car, and she handed over more cash than the magazine was worth, once she had realised that it wasn't the real deal, surely she would have got out of her car and demanded her money back  Rolling Eyes 

Axe this RW propaganda now.

Back to top Go down

'Benefits Street is ruining our reputation': Big Issue slams documentary after Fungi shown pretending to be seller   Empty Re: 'Benefits Street is ruining our reputation': Big Issue slams documentary after Fungi shown pretending to be seller

Post by Clarkson Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:16 am

They wouldn't catch you selling big issue would they Scatman. Never done a days works in ages have you mate.

Nananananananana Scatman

Clarkson
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:29 am

Clarkson wrote:They wouldn't catch you selling big issue would they Scatman. Never done a days works in ages have you mate.

Nananananananana Scatman

I would care to differ somewhat...You haven't done a days work in quite a while apart from a bit of housework of course, have you done much baking recently, i seem to remember that you once said that you liked doing that, perhaps you could do some more baking and donate the proceeds to a homeless charity or something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:32 am

What was your speciality Drinky?.....

Was it mince pies....Well you should have made some recently and given them to the Salvation Army or something like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarkson Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:37 am

Phil I'm retired after 39 years of work what's your excuse for doing sweet FA when you could earn a crust if you wished.

Remember Scatman I earned all I have you are feared to death of work.

BTW don't mind a bit of housework or cooking for that matter. I'm not a chauvinist it has to be done and my wife still goes to work so I do it.

I do more for charity than you ever will.

For one because I have earned money I have it to give and do give to the deserving.

Secondly you are a taker so it is difficult for you to admonish someone who has been a giver all his life.

As I said to Dobbin the other day you have to earn it first so that you can help others. You talk about nothing but taking.

Which is why you are trailer trash mate, that and your foul mouth Scatman.

Clarkson
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarkson Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:40 am

When it comes to choosing Minces I should have thought Scatman you were king.

Of course you are probably a taker in your home as well aren't you!

Clarkson
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:23 am

Catman wrote:....I thought that bit was well and truly staged, when he went up to that posh woman in her car, and she handed over more cash than the magazine was worth, once she had realised that it wasn't the real deal, surely she would have got out of her car and demanded her money back  Rolling Eyes 

I saw the programme and i couldn't believe such streets existed!!!!

Did you see the guy who was selling stuff for 50p? How he was knocking door to door just to make a living? I was quite humbled at his gesture when he gave the stuff away to the benefit cheaters and the way he was trying to do something instead of just sitting on his backside and claim benefits.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:51 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Catman wrote:....I thought that bit was well and truly staged, when he went up to that posh woman in her car, and she handed over more cash than the magazine was worth, once she had realised that it wasn't the real deal, surely she would have got out of her car and demanded her money back  Rolling Eyes 

I saw the programme and i couldn't believe such streets existed!!!!

Did you see the guy who was selling stuff for 50p? How he was knocking door to door just to make a living? I was quite humbled at his gesture when he gave the stuff away to the benefit cheaters and the way he was trying to do something instead of just sitting on his backside and claim benefits.

It's a horrible program, lots of people agree judging by the petition to get it pulled.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down