NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oldham named as election fraud 'hotspot' as watchdog calls for voter IDs

2 posters

Go down

Oldham named as election fraud 'hotspot' as watchdog calls for voter IDs  Empty Oldham named as election fraud 'hotspot' as watchdog calls for voter IDs

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:53 am

Election fraud really has to be stamped out and it shouldn't be possible in a country like ours. We have the technology to stop this as far as is possible so why don't we use it?

Something like proper voter registration requiring a photo ID would help stamp election fraud out. It could be a smart card linked to national insurance and including biometric data which is almost exactly like the National Identity Card scheme that Labour planned to introduce but was scrapped due to cost.

Should we go for it?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/oldham-named-election-fraud-hotspot-6479987

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Oldham named as election fraud 'hotspot' as watchdog calls for voter IDs  Empty Re: Oldham named as election fraud 'hotspot' as watchdog calls for voter IDs

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:00 am

Nah, just execute any fraudsters, that way they wont do it again  :::hitler: 

Back to top Go down

Oldham named as election fraud 'hotspot' as watchdog calls for voter IDs  Empty Re: Oldham named as election fraud 'hotspot' as watchdog calls for voter IDs

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:01 am

I'm definitely in favour of it for elections, and surely it is not past them to work out a way when it comes to postal votes.   Not quite sure how, but I have internet banking with Barclays and have a card reader which I have to put a password in to get another password, which changes every time you use it, even after a few seconds.   If they can do that, why not have the same kind of thing to put a password on a postal vote?

Anyway, didn't the Conservatives make a huge fuss about this when Labour tried to introduce it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:40 am

Andy obviously missed this one in his desperation to twist the story to his own agenda, so I thought I'd bump it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:52 am

Ben, when you come on, could you merge this with Andy's thread please. Many thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:55 am

Sassy wrote:Ben, when you come on, could you merge this with Andy's thread please.   Many thanks.

hehehe please do - i'd hate for these ladies to get away with this awful thread, which doesn't have da full picture.

innit

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:18 pm

Oh look what I've found. Looks like it may be just the job to help stamp out election fraud.

Oldham named as election fraud 'hotspot' as watchdog calls for voter IDs  Article-1281889-09C755BF000005DC-57_468x288

What do you think guys?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:45 pm

Yep, and a Labour idea lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:55 pm

Irn Bru wrote:Election fraud really has to be stamped out and it shouldn't be possible in a country like ours. We have the technology to stop this as far as is possible so why don't we use it?

Something like proper voter registration requiring a photo ID would help stamp election fraud out. It could be a smart card linked to national insurance and including biometric data which is almost exactly like the National Identity Card scheme that Labour planned to introduce but was scrapped due to cost.

Should we go for it?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/oldham-named-election-fraud-hotspot-6479987

i thought you were against I/D cards as they are supposedly an infringment of our human rights.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:57 pm

Shady wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:Election fraud really has to be stamped out and it shouldn't be possible in a country like ours. We have the technology to stop this as far as is possible so why don't we use it?

Should we go for it?

i thought you were against I/D cards as they are supposedly an infringment of our human rights.

I wouldn't have them for everday use. I would however have some form of them for election purposes. I have always thought that turning up and giving your name and address and being allowed to vote wasn't very satisfactory in this day and age.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:59 pm

Sassy wrote:
Shady wrote:

So if you are happy to use them for what they are intended for....to identify yourself.Why not use them for all identification purposes?

I wouldn't have them for everday use.   I would however have some form of them for election purposes.   I have always thought that turning up and giving your name and address and being allowed to vote wasn't very satisfactory in this day and age.

So if you are happy to use them for what they are intended...for identification purposes,why not use them for all identification requirements?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:01 pm

Because I don't think they are necessary at any other time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:04 pm

Sassy wrote:Because I don't think they are necessary at any other time.

So why differentiate between something as important as voting & other important things like identifying yourself to the police when asked

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:06 pm

Shady wrote:
Sassy wrote:

I wouldn't have them for everday use.   I would however have some form of them for election purposes.   I have always thought that turning up and giving your name and address and being allowed to vote wasn't very satisfactory in this day and age.

So if you are happy to use them for what they are intended...for identification purposes,why not use them for all identification requirements?

I was totally against ID cards but with hindsight they should have been introduced when first mooted by Bliar. We would not be in such a mess regarding payments of this or that to services used by tourists and overseas visitors. Being nice or trying to be regarding immigrants as I do not know you all here yet.. Wink 
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:08 pm

gerber wrote:
Shady wrote:

I was totally against ID cards but with hindsight they should have been introduced when first mooted by Bliar.  We would not be in such a mess regarding payments of this or that to services used by tourists and overseas visitors.  Being nice or trying to be regarding immigrants as I do not know you all here yet.. Wink 

Good evening Gerber.

I've go to agree with you & I just don't see what the problem with I/D cards is as we have to identify ourselves for so many procedures.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:08 pm

Shady wrote:
Sassy wrote:Because I don't think they are necessary at any other time.

So why differentiate between something as important as voting & other important things like identifying yourself to the police when asked

People have to identify themselves everyday, with passports, official letters, driving licences etc. They can do that at police stations. It would be rather difficult of tellers at polling stations to go through all that lot, and it is to make sure there is no voter fraud, totally different to just identifying youself, which can be done easily with what we already use for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:10 pm

Sassy wrote:
Shady wrote:

People have to identify themselves everyday, with passports, official letters, driving licences etc.  They can do that at police stations.   It would be rather difficult of tellers at polling stations to go through all that lot, and it is to make sure there is no voter fraud, totally different to just identifying youself, which can be done easily with what we already use for that.  

But I would suggest that one identification source....an I/D card would simplify things.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:06 pm

Shady wrote:

Should we go for it?

That wasn't me Shady. Perhaps you were thinking of the current coalition government who scrapped the scheme.

I know this is from the Daily Mail but what the hell - it'll do

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1281889/Labours-ID-card-scheme-scrapped-coalitions-law.html

Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Evening Irn. Yes, wonder if they will claim it as their own if they bring it back again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:54 pm

Sassy wrote:Evening Irn.   Yes, wonder if they will claim it as their own if they bring it back again.

I doubt they will but if they did then they would just call it some other name. I never really thought about this until I was reading Flap's forum and it was really Flap himself that came up with the idea.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Yea, I expect he had loads of threads laughing at the idea when it was proposed by another party than the one he bows and scapes to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down