NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Margaret Thatcher Day: Thousands sign online petition opposing plan to rename August bank holiday after Iron Lady

+2
veya_victaous
Ben Reilly
6 posters

Go down

Margaret Thatcher Day: Thousands sign online petition opposing plan to rename August bank holiday after Iron Lady  Empty Margaret Thatcher Day: Thousands sign online petition opposing plan to rename August bank holiday after Iron Lady

Post by Guest Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Margaret Thatcher Day: Thousands sign online petition opposing plan to rename August bank holiday after Iron Lady  Spitting

Margaret Thatcher Day: Thousands sign online petition opposing plan to rename August bank holiday after Iron Lady  Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1Gf7ZpVvV5ZF2PQ5QyWGWvnS-8ooeNFLP8zFXsV4QvQwBnSiA

Thousands of furious anti-Thatcher campaigners have signed an online petition protesting against plans to rename the August Bank Holiday ‘Margaret Thatcher Day’.

A cabal of Tory politicians led by Peter Bone MP introduced a private members bill last summer calling for the holiday to be named after the former Prime Minister, who died in April last year.

The House of Commons will begin its second reading of the bill next month, but an e-petition set up to try to derail the controversial plan has already gathered 30,700 signatures.

If 100,000 people sign the petition, it will be considered for debate in Parliament.

Alan Jones, who posted the petition earlier this week, said: “We oppose the proposal to change the August Bank Holiday to Margaret Thatcher and call on the Department for Business, innovation and skills to debate this in the House of Commons.

“We do not believe that the August Bank Holiday should be renamed Margaret Thatcher Day as we believe that there are much worthier historical figures who have done more good for the people of Britain, for example Winston Churchill, and are less divisive a public figure.”

Mr Bone, Tory MP for Wellingborough and Rushden, claimed that if his bid was successful, ‘it would mean UK Independence Party voters will then come back and vote Conservative’.

Nigel Smith’s bid to launch an identical e-petition was rejected because there was already one running.

But he said: “I feel this goes against the feelings of many throughout the country who were badly effected by strikes during the 1980s and have never recovered.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/margaret-thatcher-day-thousands-sign-3030600#.Utlly_TFKIU

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  What a ridiculous idea, can't be allowed to happen.

Back to top Go down

Margaret Thatcher Day: Thousands sign online petition opposing plan to rename August bank holiday after Iron Lady  Empty Re: Margaret Thatcher Day: Thousands sign online petition opposing plan to rename August bank holiday after Iron Lady

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:49 am

You've got to be kidding me. Reminds me of the assholes here in the U.S. who want to name things after Reagan or even put him on our currency.

We already have the Reagan International Airport. I refer to it as the Ronald "Fund the Guys Who Toss Nuns From Helicopters" Reagan International Airport.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Margaret Thatcher Day: Thousands sign online petition opposing plan to rename August bank holiday after Iron Lady  Empty Re: Margaret Thatcher Day: Thousands sign online petition opposing plan to rename August bank holiday after Iron Lady

Post by Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:04 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:You've got to be kidding me. Reminds me of the assholes here in the U.S. who want to name things after Reagan or even put him on our currency.

We already have the Reagan International Airport. I refer to it as the Ronald "Fund the Guys Who Toss Nuns From Helicopters" Reagan International Airport.

What does it matter if a holiday is named after a person?

They already are, from St Patrick's day, to St George etc and correct me if I am wrong but do you not have Columbus Day celebrating someone who was not first to discover America?

If people voice the view to name a public holiday then so be it, she is a famous Leader greatly loved and respected in your own nation, I fail to see the big deal

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:23 am

I would support this if it was not a 1 for 1 trade.  Cool
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Catman wrote:Margaret Thatcher Day: Thousands sign online petition opposing plan to rename August bank holiday after Iron Lady  Spitting

Margaret Thatcher Day: Thousands sign online petition opposing plan to rename August bank holiday after Iron Lady  Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1Gf7ZpVvV5ZF2PQ5QyWGWvnS-8ooeNFLP8zFXsV4QvQwBnSiA

Thousands of furious anti-Thatcher campaigners have signed an online petition protesting against plans to rename the August Bank Holiday ‘Margaret Thatcher Day’.

A cabal of Tory politicians led by Peter Bone MP introduced a private members bill last summer calling for the holiday to be named after the former Prime Minister, who died in April last year.

The House of Commons will begin its second reading of the bill next month, but an e-petition set up to try to derail the controversial plan has already gathered 30,700 signatures.

If 100,000 people sign the petition, it will be considered for debate in Parliament.

Alan Jones, who posted the petition earlier this week, said: “We oppose the proposal to change the August Bank Holiday to Margaret Thatcher and call on the Department for Business, innovation and skills to debate this in the House of Commons.

“We do not believe that the August Bank Holiday should be renamed Margaret Thatcher Day as we believe that there are much worthier historical figures who have done more good for the people of Britain, for example Winston Churchill, and are less divisive a public figure.”

Mr Bone, Tory MP for Wellingborough and Rushden, claimed that if his bid was successful, ‘it would mean UK Independence Party voters will then come back and vote Conservative’.

Nigel Smith’s bid to launch an identical e-petition was rejected because there was already one running.

But he said: “I feel this goes against the feelings of many throughout the country who were badly effected by strikes during the 1980s and have never recovered.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/margaret-thatcher-day-thousands-sign-3030600#.Utlly_TFKIU

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  What a ridiculous idea, can't be allowed to happen.

Absolutely Catman, if we're going to have a Bank Holiday named after a politician it should be an additional day; I like "August" I think we should keep it and choose another day Margaret Thatcher Day: Thousands sign online petition opposing plan to rename August bank holiday after Iron Lady  Giggl105

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:34 pm

I don't know why we just don;t have St George day as a bank holiday, something to bring all people together in a nation

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:40 pm

PhilDidge wrote:I don't know why we just don;t have St George day as a bank holiday, something to bring all people together in a nation

alien 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:You've got to be kidding me. Reminds me of the assholes here in the U.S. who want to name things after Reagan or even put him on our currency.

I think if they tried to do it they really would have riots in the streets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarkson Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:45 pm

There will be tens of thousands signing for it to be so.

She was a real worker no wonder you hate her so much

The likes of sassy scum of the earth resorting to OAP rioting is no surprise to me.

Clearly borrowing too much money and leaving nothing but dents to her grandchildren is insufficient. She needs to destroy infrastructure as well.

Such is the way of the unthinking lefties.

Clarkson
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarkson Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:46 pm

Silly me the term unthinking left implies thinking left. Clearly an oxymoron if ever there was, especially on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clarkson
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:54 pm

Clarkson wrote:There will be tens of thousands signing for it to be so.

She was a real worker no wonder you hate her so much

The likes of sassy scum of the earth resorting to OAP rioting is no surprise to me.

Clearly borrowing too much money and leaving nothing but dents to her grandchildren is insufficient. She needs to destroy infrastructure as well.

Such is the way of the unthinking lefties.

Can you try to refrain from the insults for once, you sad little man.

You bring Sass into practically every post that you make, then you bring in a nasty slur, whenever you distort my user tag.

No 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:56 pm

I notice that the RW haven't pulled you up over your slurs.

Twisted Evil 

Back to top Go down

Post by ALLAKAKA Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:02 am

Political protests come in many forms , I'm training pigeons to shit on the Nelson Mandel statue they are putting up in Manchester, the pigeons are a mixed bunch ,some of them are even Gay.

ALLAKAKA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:12 am

ALLAKAKA wrote:

Political protests come in many forms , I'm training pigeons to shit on the Nelson Mandel statue they are putting up in Manchester, the pigeons are a mixed bunch ,some of them are even Gay.

While I disagree
that was funny  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:19 am

If they are going to have a Margaret Thatcher day then on balance I think they should also have a Gordon Brown day.
At least Brown lost in an election whereas Thatcher got stabbed in the back by her own party who saw the mess she was making.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:23 am

Irn Bru wrote:If they are going to have a Margaret Thatcher day then on balance I think they should also have a Gordon Brown day.
At least Brown lost in an election whereas Thatcher got stabbed in the back by her own party who saw the mess she was making.

Tony Blair day!

....Since as many declare him as a war criminal, others would describe him as the purveyor of human rights in this country, we wouldn't even have an equal age of consent in this country, if it wasn't for the TB governments.

Back to top Go down

Margaret Thatcher Day: Thousands sign online petition opposing plan to rename August bank holiday after Iron Lady  Empty Petition calls for Bank Holiday to be named after Alan Turing amid ‘Margaret Thatcher Day’ controversy

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:13 am

A petition has been started to push the Government to rename the August Bank Holiday after late gay computer genius and codebreaker Alan Turing, rather than after Margaret Thatcher.

The petition, started yesterday, calls for the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills to rename the holiday after Turing. This comes amid a controversy over possible plans to rename the day after Margaret Thatcher.

Thousands have signed another petition opposing the move by several Conservative MPs to rename the day ‘Margaret Thatcher Day’. The bill to make the change has its second reading on 28 February.

Turing was prosecuted for gross indecency in 1952, after having a relationship with another man. The mathematical genius and codebreaker was the effective inventor of the modern computer and a key driver behind the victory over the Nazis.

He killed himself in 1954, two years after being sentenced to chemical castration for his homosexuality.

Two days before Christmas 2013, the Queen granted a posthumous pardon to Turing under the Royal Prerogative of Mercy.

E-petitions have to reach 100,000 signatures in order for them to be considered for debate in the House of Commons.

Margaret Thatcher Day: Thousands sign online petition opposing plan to rename August bank holiday after Iron Lady  Turing

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/01/21/petition-calls-for-bank-holiday-to-be-named-after-alan-turing-amid-margaret-thatcher-day-controversy/

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:18 am

....YES!

If we are going to rename the day, lets have it under this man!

A far better candidate than the witch, Thatcher!

...A less divisive figure, that did so much more than Thatcher did!

cheers cheers cheers 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:22 am

Laughing

...Continuing to shit on the bitches grave!  bounce bounce bounce 

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down