NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tennessee House Bill Would Let Therapists Refuse to Treat Atheists, Gay People, and Other Sinners

4 posters

Go down

Tennessee House Bill Would Let Therapists Refuse to Treat Atheists, Gay People, and Other Sinners Empty Tennessee House Bill Would Let Therapists Refuse to Treat Atheists, Gay People, and Other Sinners

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:12 pm

As religious meddling by the state goes, this one’s a doozy: If Tennessee’s House Bill 1840 passes, mental-health counselors in the Volunteer State will be allowed by law torefuse service to non-believers and others who desire results that conflict with the counselors’ religious beliefs. So let’s say you’re looking for help to get you through your divorce. Or imagine you’re having relationship issues with your same-sex partner. Or suppose you’re a budding young atheist, and you want advice on how to stay on good terms with your fundamentalist parents. After HB 1840 becomes the law, your pious counselor, in thrall to Jesus Christ, may kick you to the curb, professional standards be damned.

Tennessee House Bill Would Let Therapists Refuse to Treat Atheists, Gay People, and Other Sinners Representatives_-_TN_General_Assembly

Representative [Jason] Zachary tells Local 8 News the bill is aiming to reinforce the First Amendment by protecting the religious rights of counselors, allowing them to refer a patient elsewhere. He also expressed that the bill protects patients and helps them to get better care, not denying care.
Yeah. Just as some bigoted bakers will steer a gay couple to buy a “better” cake. Some service. Some care.
The bill contravenes section C.5 of the American Counseling Association’s Code of Ethics, which holds that professional counselors may not refuse clients based on
… age, culture, disability, ethnicity, race, religion/spirituality, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/partnership status, language preference, socioeconomic status, immigration status, or any basis proscribed by law.
The association sent an email out to mental health professionals on March 24, reminding counselors that, “The needs of the client are always a top priority, according to universally taught principles in counselor education, rather than the personally held beliefs of the counselor. This tenet is a civic and professional responsibility for those who are professional counselors.”

The ACA has nearly 60,000 members.
However, such objections are hardly relevant to the bill’s sponsor, Representative Dan Howell (pictured above), a former local FOX news anchor who is more concerned with legislating his religion into everyone else’s private affairs.
Oh, and by the way, if it’s now OK for mental-health professionals to refuse service to sinners, can other exceptions to the Hippocratic Oath be far behind? May a Protestant nurse refuse to empty a gay woman’s bedpan? May a conservative-Catholic physician refuse to treat a divorcee’s broken collarbone? And may a born-again EMT refuse to treat a crash victim whose car has a fish-with-legs bumper sticker? Is that what being a Christian is all about now? Is that really the message of Jesus that Christians hope to spread in the third millennium?
The mind reels.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/03/30/tennessee-house-bill-would-let-therapists-refuse-to-treat-atheists-gay-people-and-other-sinners/

Back to top Go down

Tennessee House Bill Would Let Therapists Refuse to Treat Atheists, Gay People, and Other Sinners Empty Re: Tennessee House Bill Would Let Therapists Refuse to Treat Atheists, Gay People, and Other Sinners

Post by Cass Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:51 pm

It's a shame that there is no cure for terminal d**kheaditis
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Tennessee House Bill Would Let Therapists Refuse to Treat Atheists, Gay People, and Other Sinners Empty Re: Tennessee House Bill Would Let Therapists Refuse to Treat Atheists, Gay People, and Other Sinners

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:01 am

There's not much point in a counselor dealing with issues they feel unable to advise on. I think there's too much spin to this story.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:12 am

Raggamuffin wrote:There's not much point in a counselor dealing with issues they feel unable to advise on. I think there's too much spin to this story.

How do you figure that one out?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:21 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:There's not much point in a counselor dealing with issues they feel unable to advise on. I think there's too much spin to this story.

When you say "too much spin on this story," what do you mean? Too much left? Or too much right? Simply too much emphasis? From what point of view?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:29 pm

Original Quill wrote:

When you say "too much spin on this story,"  what do you mean?  Too much left?  Or too much right?  Simply too much emphasis?  From what point of view?

It's just the tone of it Quill. It's from an atheist blog, so it's to be expected I guess. I think it's common sense for a counseler to refer someone if they feel they can't advise on the issue themselves. All that talk about "sinners", bedpans, and the general hostile tone was a bit silly IMO.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:34 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

When you say "too much spin on this story,"  what do you mean?  Too much left?  Or too much right?  Simply too much emphasis?  From what point of view?

It's just the tone of it Quill. It's from an atheist blog, so it's to be expected I guess. I think it's common sense for a counseler to refer someone if they feel they can't advise on the issue themselves. All that talk about "sinners", bedpans, and the general hostile tone was a bit silly IMO.

But they are referring or they will be allow to refer them not based off what is wrong but by being allowed to discriminate against them based off beliefs.

As I asked you before, how would they feel they are unable to advise.

Are you saying they are specifically incompetent suddenly based on who the person is or their belief or non-beliefs?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:45 pm

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

But they are referring or they will be allow to refer them not based off what is wrong but by being allowed to discriminate against them based off beliefs.

Are you saying they are specifically incompetent suddenly based on who the person is or their belief or non-beliefs?

They're not necessarily discriminating, they may well just be saying they're not equipped to deal with particular issues and cannot be impartial. That could happen to anyone - including a counselor who is a militant atheist and who was asked to counsel someone who was perhaps having issues with their religious faith. They wouldn't really be impartial would they?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

They're not necessarily discriminating, they may well just be saying they're not equipped to deal with particular issues and cannot be impartial. That could happen to anyone - including a counselor who is a militant atheist and who was asked to counsel someone who was perhaps having issues with their religious faith. They wouldn't really be impartial would they?

You mean they can use excuses based off them claiming they might be not as expertise suddenly when they have a someone that falls into the category's described. Its against the law to discriminate and if they are unable to help it will be for that reason. This legislation allows them though to religiously discriminate

That is wrong.

What next not counselling because they are black?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:21 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:They're not necessarily discriminating, they may well just be saying they're not equipped to deal with particular issues and cannot be impartial. That could happen to anyone - including a counselor who is a militant atheist and who was asked to counsel someone who was perhaps having issues with their religious faith. They wouldn't really be impartial would they?

But that raises the question of competency, and whether the practitioners should not surrender their licenses if they can't serve the public over a given issue. As a licensed professional myself, I am constantly bombarded by the State Bar Association and others about how my license is a privilege and how much I own back to the state and the public. Usually it's in a plea for pro bono services, but the emphasis is always on the obligation as it runs from me to others.

You seem to be saying that it's all right if you are not "equipped" to do your job. You just refer the patient to someone else. My question is, how far does that go? How many areas do you get to say you are not "equipped" for before the State has a right to take away your license for lack of professional competency?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:26 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:They're not necessarily discriminating, they may well just be saying they're not equipped to deal with particular issues and cannot be impartial. That could happen to anyone - including a counselor who is a militant atheist and who was asked to counsel someone who was perhaps having issues with their religious faith. They wouldn't really be impartial would they?

But that raises the question of competency, and whether the practitioners should not surrender their licenses if they can't serve the public over a given issue.  As a licensed professional myself, I am constantly bombarded by the State Bar Association and others about how my license is a privilege and how much I own back to the state and the public.  Usually it's in a plea for pro bono services, but the emphasis is always on the obligation as it runs from me to others.

You seem to be saying that it's all right if you are not "equipped" to do your job.  You just refer the patient to someone else.  My question is, how far does that go?  How many areas do you get to say you are not "equipped" for before the State has a right to take away your license for lack of professional competency?

In the UK, doctors can refuse to carry out abortions or recommend one on the grounds of conscience, as long as they refer to the patient to another doctor. Would you say they were just incompetent?

If a GP can't make a diagnosis, they refer the patient. Is that GP incompetent?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:33 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

But that raises the question of competency, and whether the practitioners should not surrender their licenses if they can't serve the public over a given issue.  As a licensed professional myself, I am constantly bombarded by the State Bar Association and others about how my license is a privilege and how much I own back to the state and the public.  Usually it's in a plea for pro bono services, but the emphasis is always on the obligation as it runs from me to others.

You seem to be saying that it's all right if you are not "equipped" to do your job.  You just refer the patient to someone else.  My question is, how far does that go?  How many areas do you get to say you are not "equipped" for before the State has a right to take away your license for lack of professional competency?

In the UK, doctors can refuse to carry out abortions or recommend one on the grounds of conscience, as long as they refer to the patient to another doctor. Would you say they were just incompetent?

Maybe you are right. I just think it is a bit different when speaking of matters of opinion and conscience. If I am a gastroenterologist and I say I cannot do a knee replacement, it's more a matter of technique and specialty. But religion is all-encompassing and crosses all spheres of specialization.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:40 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Maybe you are right.  I just think it is a bit different when speaking of matters of opinion and conscience.  If I am a gastroenterologist and I say I cannot do a knee replacement, it's more a matter of technique and specialty.  But religion is all-encompassing and crosses all spheres of specialization.

I think that a lot is asked of counselors. They're only human, and they can't be expected to advise on everything. I think it depends on why a gay person has gone to see a counselor really. If it's to do with them being gay, I would think that it was common sense to refer them to someone who has more experience or more understanding - perhaps a gay counselor. If it's not to do with being gay, I think it would be silly to refuse to counsel them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Maybe you are right.  I just think it is a bit different when speaking of matters of opinion and conscience.  If I am a gastroenterologist and I say I cannot do a knee replacement, it's more a matter of technique and specialty.  But religion is all-encompassing and crosses all spheres of specialization.

I think that a lot is asked of counselors. They're only human, and they can't be expected to advise on everything. I think it depends on why a gay person has gone to see a counselor really. If it's to do with them being gay, I would think that it was common sense to refer them to someone who has more experience or more understanding - perhaps a gay counselor. If it's not to do with being gay, I think it would be silly to refuse to counsel them.

But then you have to set up qualifications and specializations. The mind does not come with such compartmentalization as bones, livers, stomachs and organs around which specializations can be fixed. The mind is a single organ, and whatever is troubling it is what you getz.

So for the mental health expert to say, Oh I don't treat problems relating to (eg) oedipus complex, means that such therapist is pretty much disqualified from treating anyone...because anyone walking in the door could be suffering from oedipus complex and s/he wouldn't know it. That's what I mean about the mind or conscience being non-compartmentalized.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:14 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Would people tend to see a therapist for a crisis of faith? I'd think they'd see their pastor, rabbi, etc.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:28 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Would people tend to see a therapist for a crisis of faith? I'd think they'd see their pastor, rabbi, etc.

Dunno. They might not have a pastor or a rabbi. In any case, if they went to a counselor, I see no problem with the counselor suggesting that they go and see someone like that.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:37 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Dunno. They might not have a pastor or a rabbi. In any case, if they went to a counselor, I see no problem with the counselor suggesting that they go and see someone like that.

At any rate, I don't know why a counselor wouldn't train to be able to help anyone regardless of their beliefs. Seems like that would be bad for their employment prospects Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down