NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hijarbie is the new hijab Barbie Muslim girls can relate to and she's an Istagram hit

Go down

Hijarbie is the new hijab Barbie Muslim girls can relate to and she's an Istagram hit Empty Hijarbie is the new hijab Barbie Muslim girls can relate to and she's an Istagram hit

Post by eddie Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:35 am

(CNN)Barbie has had another makeover. This time as a hijab-wearing Muslim.

It was only last month that Mattel gave Barbie a dramatic transformation with a variety of skin tones and different body types, including adding curves to her impossibly slender frame.

Now a Nigerian medical scientist has taken Instagram by storm since she began posting images of a hijab-wearing Barbie doll a few weeks ago.

We are used to seeing Barbie scantily-clad in denim hotpants and skimpy tops, but with her colorful headscarves, flowing abayas and full-length couture dresses, Hijarbie is far more covered up.

Haneefa Adam, pictured, says she was inspired to create the Hijarbie account after coming across the Barbie Style Instagram page.

She told CNN: "I thought I had not seen Barbie dressed in a hijab before so I decided to open an Instagram account and dressed Barbie up in the clothes that I made. I thought it was really important for a doll to be dressed like how I would be."

The 24-year-old, who recently completed a Masters in Pharmacology in the UK, describes Hijarbie as a "modest doll" -- one that offers Muslim girls a relatable role model.

"It has roots in my religion and cultural identity. The way Barbie dresses is very skimpy and different and there's nothing wrong with it. I just wanted to give another option for Muslim girls like me.

She added: "I want to use the Instagram page to create an identity for her similar to Barbie."

The reaction has been overwhelmingly positive with requests from all over the world to buy the dolls. Hijarbie now has 19,400 followers on the social network.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/08/fashion/hijarbie-nigeria-student/

Hijarbie is the new hijab Barbie Muslim girls can relate to and she's an Istagram hit Image23
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Hijarbie is the new hijab Barbie Muslim girls can relate to and she's an Istagram hit Empty Re: Hijarbie is the new hijab Barbie Muslim girls can relate to and she's an Istagram hit

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:55 am

Hi kaffir
Hi Infidel!
Do you wanna go for Sharia patrol?
Sure Muhammad!
Jump in...

I'm a Barbie Slave, in the Muslim world
Life in drastic, it's bombastic!
You can cover my hair, force me to dress everywhere
Intimidation, I'm forced into subjugation
Come on Barbie, let's go pray!
(Ah-ah-allah-akbar)

Is that one of the tunes it sings?

lol!

Sorry could not resist

Very naughty of me

Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Hijarbie is the new hijab Barbie Muslim girls can relate to and she's an Istagram hit Empty Re: Hijarbie is the new hijab Barbie Muslim girls can relate to and she's an Istagram hit

Post by eddie Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:56 am

Hahahahaha made me laugh anyway! alien

I hated the original song of that, done my head in!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:59 am

eddie wrote:Hahahahaha made me laugh anyway! alien

I hated the original song of that, done my head in!

Yeah it was rather an annoying song I must say..

You have to say though that they are exploiting a market, but why not, if kids want them, so be it

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:10 am

Tbh as a child I liked all different colour dolls - mainly because I quite like colour and diversity, (most of my barvies used to end up with short hair and "coloured in hair" like a punk and heavy make up - looked like cheap hookers actually! Hahahahaha), anyway my point is I'd have probably wanted one.....then I'd have pulled off the headscarf and/or coloured it in!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:12 am

eddie wrote:Tbh as a child I liked all different colour dolls - mainly because I quite like colour and diversity, (most of my barvies used to end up with short hair and "coloured in hair" like a punk and heavy make up - looked like cheap hookers actually! Hahahahaha), anyway my point is I'd have probably wanted one.....then I'd have pulled off the headscarf and/or coloured it in!

Do you have any antique dolls Eddie?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:34 am

No didn't think so didge
I'm a bit of a "chucker awayer" lol
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:16 am

eddie wrote:
(CNN)Barbie has had another makeover. This time as a hijab-wearing Muslim.
The 24-year-old, who recently completed a Masters in Pharmacology in the UK, describes Hijarbie as a "modest doll" -- one that offers Muslim girls a relatable role model.

Hijarbie is the new hijab Barbie Muslim girls can relate to and she's an Istagram hit Image23
Mattel - Barbie has been losing out of a ever growing market share for the competition that the newer up todate little dolls have cut into her corner of the doll market. 
When 'Bratz' hit the stores; their totally cool look and modern style of 'Rad Clothing' was quite the rage for that age group...

But the latest Barbie was beaten to the stores by two new dolls that could threaten her resurgence, industry insiders say. One comes from perhaps the hottest toy makers in North America, Spin Master Ltd. The other was created by designers with a grudge against Mattel, which wrested away their company's rights to the hit Bratz dolls.
And so a firefight is breaking out in the doll business that would put G.I. Joe to shame.
Inside the high-security Mattel design center near its headquarters here in El Segundo, guards check visitors' laptops and briefcases on entrance and exit. Humans who bear an uncanny resemblance to Barbie -- high heels, pony tails, sparkly jewelry -- gathered there late last month in the Pink Room. That's where they're devising battle plans for their new Barbie, who wears runway-inspired outfits and has 12 movable joints that are supposed to allow girls to pose her like a supermodel.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB125607851547797455  Updated Oct. 22, 2009

Now that the market share for 'AMERICAN MADE' products and all things that represent 'AMERICA' has gained momentum and parents are so willing to foster that off onto their little girls --- the sales for the much larger / more expensive 'American Girl' dolls have become the MUST HAVE for any young lady in grade school. 
http://americangirl.wikia.com/wiki/History_of_American_Girl 
These dolls looked like the other children in their age group and some are historically dressed in the period piece that they represent.  But not for the faint of heart --- these dolls take up more room and are averaging into the $100.'s of dollars just for the dolls - clothing and accessories are extra...but gaining more resale via EBAY/Amazon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down