NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Jumping Genes' May Cause Schizophrenia

3 posters

Go down

'Jumping Genes' May Cause Schizophrenia Empty 'Jumping Genes' May Cause Schizophrenia

Post by Lurker Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Roaming bits of DNA that can relocate and proliferate throughout the genome, called "jumping genes," may contribute to schizophrenia, a new study suggests. These rogue genetic elements pepper the brain tissue of deceased people with the disorder and multiply in response to stressful events, such as infection during pregnancy, which increase the risk of the disease. The study could help explain how genes and environment work together to produce the complex disorder and may even point to ways of lowering the risk of the disease, researchers say.

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2014/01/jumping-genes-linked-schizophrenia
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

'Jumping Genes' May Cause Schizophrenia Empty Re: 'Jumping Genes' May Cause Schizophrenia

Post by Original Quill Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:15 pm

Jumpin' genes...I sense a new legal defense coming out.  Not guilty, your honor, by reason of jumpin' genes.  (Have the defendant jerk every twelve seconds to make it convincing.)

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

'Jumping Genes' May Cause Schizophrenia Empty Re: 'Jumping Genes' May Cause Schizophrenia

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:19 pm

Original Quill wrote:Jumpin' genes...I sense a new legal defense coming out.  Not guilty, your honor, by reason of jumpin' genes.  (Have the defendant jerk every twelve seconds to make it convincing.)

My God, there speaks the product of the American Law system who still think people of really low IQ can be responsible for their actions and in the states that have the death penalty, are happy to put them to death.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:13 pm

Schizophrenia has nothing to do with IQ.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Lurker wrote: Schizophrenia has nothing to do with IQ.

No, I know Lurker, used to work with people with mental health problems, and had to give it up when I was attacked by a schizophrenic. He didn't know what he was doing, he was being 'told' by voices. It was because Quill was trying to make out that mental health is just an excuse for people committing crimes, and a particular bug-bare of mine is the way people with low IQs in America are told they know what they are doing and understand what they are doing. Whether it is low IQ or schizophrenia, they don't know or understand what they are doing at the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:21 pm

Lurker wrote:
Roaming bits of DNA that can relocate and proliferate throughout the genome, called "jumping genes," may contribute to schizophrenia, a new study suggests. These rogue genetic elements pepper the brain tissue of deceased people with the disorder and multiply in response to stressful events, such as infection during pregnancy, which increase the risk of the disease. The study could help explain how genes and environment work together to produce the complex disorder and may even point to ways of lowering the risk of the disease, researchers say.

Sorry, just realised I never commented on your actual post.

If they have at last found a physical reason for some types of schizophrenia that is amazing. Good luck to them, I hope they manage to find a way of lowering the risk, the disease is horrible and very frightening for the person that has it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:35 am

Sassy wrote:
Lurker wrote: Schizophrenia has nothing to do with IQ.

No, I know Lurker, used to work with people with mental health problems, and had to give it up when I was attacked by a schizophrenic.   He didn't know what he was doing, he was being 'told' by voices.   It was because Quill was trying to make out that mental health is just an excuse for people committing crimes, and a particular bug-bare of mine is the way people with low IQs in America are told they know what they are doing and understand what they are doing.   Whether it is low IQ or schizophrenia, they don't know or understand what they are doing at the time.

Oh sassy, as usual you torture the truth. All I said is that jumping genes is likely to become a new defense. That's probably true, wouldn't you say?

I said nothing about my opinion of it. This is just you...so quick to engage in some argument with me, that you jump to the opportunity. You will escalate this to the point where Ben has to close down the thread. Then you will look for your next opportunity.

I'll say again, this is not about me. But I can see adjustments in the legal system. And those adjustments would probably be a good thing, where those with mental or emotional disabilities get a break, wouldn't you say?

Let's stick to the topic of the thread, okay?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:41 am

Lurker wrote:

Read the article and in it they were talking about high levels of L1 in stem cells linked to this.   It rang a bell.   I have chronic leukaemia, which is a B Cell malignancy, but effects T Cells as well and some relapsed patients show PD-L1 (PD being programmed death T Cells) interactions.   Those L1 cells seem to affect a lot of things and isn't it amazing what we are managing to find out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:31 am

Sassy wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Jumpin' genes...I sense a new legal defense coming out.  Not guilty, your honor, by reason of jumpin' genes.  (Have the defendant jerk every twelve seconds to make it convincing.)

My God, there speaks the product of the American Law system who still think people of really low IQ can be responsible for their actions and in the states that have the death penalty, are happy to put them to death.  

WTF does that have to do with the American law system. You are daft, girl.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:22 am

Quill, do you think you could follow my lead and:

Let's stick to the topic of the thread, okay? LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:30 am

Got me interested in L1 cells now Lurker, this piece is how they have found differences in our L1 cells and those of chimps and apes, and could have been a reason for our different adaptations:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature12686.html
We propose that differences in L1 mobility may have differentially shaped the genomes of humans and NHPs and could have continuing adaptive significance.

Don't pretend to understand all of it, but I have always had a keen interest in medicine so I'm finding it facinating.

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:33 am

lol! Tijuana is great, but don't eat the beans. And when they say, Cuume een, es mi seester on stage, run like hell.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down