NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marital rape 'cannot be applied in the Indian context', says country's minister for women

Go down

Marital rape 'cannot be applied in the Indian context', says country's minister for women Empty Marital rape 'cannot be applied in the Indian context', says country's minister for women

Post by Guest Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:32 am

The Indian government has said the concept of marital rape “cannot be applied in the Indian context”, despite laying out plans to introduce legislation to criminalise it last year. Maneka Gandhi, Minister for Women and Child Development in India, said in a written statement on Thursday that marital rape could not be criminalised in India because of factors including “level of education and illiteracy, poverty, social customs and religious beliefs”. She added that it was due to the “mindset of society to treat the marriage as a sacrament”. In December 2015 the Indian government laid out plans to introduce “comprehensive” legislation to criminalise marital rape.

But the minister of state for home affairs stated at the time that the government would wait for a Committee Report to offer “appropriate suggestions” before any action could be taken. Ms Gandhi's claim that marital rape cannot be applied in the India is a reiteration of a statement made by the Home Affairs Minister in response to calls from the United Nations to criminalise rape within marriage in May 2015.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/marital-rape-cannot-be-applied-in-the-indian-context-says-indian-minister-a6927406.html

Well that has to go down for this years most idiotic statement.

So when in the past in Europe and America, there was factors including “level of education and illiteracy, poverty, social customs and religious beliefs”. around slavery. That criminalizing it, brought about an end of the African slaver trade, once all nations had jumped on board to making slavery illegal. I mean I could list numerous similar examples to the one I just made to point out just how ridiculous and pathetic there excuse is to not carry through criminalizing marital rape. That the plight of the victims of rape are rendered secondary to their abusers and even more disturbingly and idiotic is that a belief is an absolute. That people cannot change through progression. Thus by doing so, that make beliefs,more important in law to the equality and well being of each Indian. I mean you cannot make it up how backward a stance that is. They recognize that marital rape is wrong and yet say to protect victims of rape is wrong also. As the law should respect personal beliefs, over that of the well being and equality of all Indians.
Another candidate for the worst excuse in history.

Back to top Go down