NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British People Attempt Their Best American Accent. Now We Know What They Think Of Us!

4 posters

Go down

British People Attempt Their Best American Accent. Now We Know What They Think Of Us!  Empty British People Attempt Their Best American Accent. Now We Know What They Think Of Us!

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:40 pm

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/happy-videos/4015/British-People-Attempt-Their-Best-American-Accent-Now-We-Know-What-They-Think-Of-Us-

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

British People Attempt Their Best American Accent. Now We Know What They Think Of Us!  Empty Re: British People Attempt Their Best American Accent. Now We Know What They Think Of Us!

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:23 am

Some of them were really good, but I was surprised nobody attempted a New York/New Jersey accent -- always thought that was one of the more well-known accents.

Here's some Americans trying Brit accents:

Americans (pretty much mangling) Aussie accents:

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

British People Attempt Their Best American Accent. Now We Know What They Think Of Us!  Empty Re: British People Attempt Their Best American Accent. Now We Know What They Think Of Us!

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:27 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Some of them were really good, but I was surprised nobody attempted a New York/New Jersey accent -- always thought that was one of the more well-known accents.

To be honest Ben, people are going off a bog standard accent for all 3, with the British with emphasis on posh English, though there is a vast amount of accents in the UK, as there is in the US.  So I think many would fail badly on given regional accents lol
Thanks for posting up the equivalency for the US trying

I found this interesting about the American English:

"Studies on historical usage of English in the United States and the United Kingdom suggest that spoken American English did not simply evolve from period British English, but rather retained many archaic features contemporary British English has since lost.Most North American speech is rhotic, because in the 17th century, when English was brought to the Americas, most English in England was rhotic. Rhoticity has been further supported by the influences of Hiberno-English, West Country English and Scottish English. In most varieties of North American English, the sound corresponding to the letter r is a postalveolar approximant [ɹ̠] or retroflex approximant [ɻ] rather than a trill or tap (as often heard, for example, in the English accents of Scotland or India). A unique "bunched tongue" variant of the approximant r sound is also associated with the United States, and seems particularly noticeable in the Midwest and South.["

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:42 am

My four year old daughter was a really funny American accent lol
At this age alot of girls (and boys) watch Disney films and programmes so inevitably speak like that when they play. It's hilarious and I like listening to her play.

A mothe recently said to me "Oh! Why is your daughter playing and talking like that? Shouldn't you encourage her to play in an English accent?"

I was like "Pardon???? She's PLAYING! That's the point of playing! And besides I love it!"

Stupid woman.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:55 am

eddie wrote:My four year old daughter was a really funny American accent lol
At this age alot of girls (and boys) watch Disney films and programmes so inevitably speak like that when they play. It's hilarious and I like listening to her play.

A mothe recently said to me "Oh! Why is your daughter playing and talking like that? Shouldn't you encourage her to play in an English accent?"

I was like "Pardon???? She's PLAYING! That's the point of playing! And besides I love it!"

Stupid woman.

lol!

Morning Eddie

You are right she sounds it, as I doubt your little angel is going to suddenly adopt permanently and American accent, when for the majority of the day no doubt her accent is English

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:01 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Some of them were really good, but I was surprised nobody attempted a New York/New Jersey accent -- always thought that was one of the more well-known accents.

i am pretty decent at some accents can do a couple really well (i think) New Jersey accent among them (10 years + off jon Stewart)
strangely i cant do a Scottish accent to save my life No Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:42 pm

Didge wrote:

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/happy-videos/4015/British-People-Attempt-Their-Best-American-Accent-Now-We-Know-What-They-Think-Of-Us-

The guy "08" and the girl in the red "Nike" sweat don't cut it.  The black dudes have American ebonics (black-speak) down perfectly.  The California surfers need a lot of work...they should study Sean Penn.

Some of the others are pretty good, but they ruin it by going Brit ever so slightly on the last syllable, with a long 'Awww'.  Americans flatten their tongue; Brits kinda drop it into a valley.

But fun. Good one, didge.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:57 pm

Didge wrote:

To be honest Ben, people are going off a bog standard accent for all 3, with the British with emphasis on posh English, though there is a vast amount of accents in the UK, as there is in the US.  So I think many would fail badly on given regional accents lol
Thanks for posting up the equivalency for the US trying

I found this interesting about the American English:

"Studies on historical usage of English in the United States and the United Kingdom suggest that spoken American English did not simply evolve from period British English, but rather retained many archaic features contemporary British English has since lost.Most North American speech is rhotic, because in the 17th century, when English was brought to the Americas, most English in England was rhotic. Rhoticity has been further supported by the influences of Hiberno-English, West Country English and Scottish English. In most varieties of North American English, the sound corresponding to the letter r is a postalveolar approximant [ɹ̠] or retroflex approximant [ɻ] rather than a trill or tap (as often heard, for example, in the English accents of Scotland or India). A unique "bunched tongue" variant of the approximant r sound is also associated with the United States, and seems particularly noticeable in the Midwest and South.["

I think Americans hear more of the posh British accent than any other, thanks to movies and TV (although TV is changing and there's more variety now than there once was). And yeah, the American accent is believed to sound more like 17-18 century Britain than the modern British (standard) accent does -- but we still have actors speaking the Queen's English in movies about the colonial period and the Revolution Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down