NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MH370 search: Debris possibly belonging to missing Boeing 777 'found off coast of Mozambique'

Go down

MH370 search: Debris possibly belonging to missing Boeing 777 'found off coast of Mozambique' Empty MH370 search: Debris possibly belonging to missing Boeing 777 'found off coast of Mozambique'

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:48 am

The words 'No Step' on the debris show it could be the tail end of a plane

Investigators searching for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 are studying photographs of debris that has washed up in Mozambique.

An object that could be from a Boeing 777 was found on a sandbank off the eastern African country days ahead of the second anniversary of the jet's disappearance in March 2014.

The flight disappeared on 8 March with 239 people on board en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

Photographs of the debris have now been seen by investigators in Malaysia, Australia and the US, and say there is a good chance it comes from a Boeing 777, according to NBC News.

It has also been found in the same part of the southern Indian Ocean where the only other confirmed piece of debris from the flight, a flaperon, was found on Reunion Island in July 2015.

"NO STEP" is written on the object, which makes it likely it is from wing-like parts of the plane attached to the tail, which are called horizontal stabilisers.

Until now, about three-quarters of the 46,000-square-mile search zone for the Malayasia Airlines Flight has been scoured without success by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB).

Several false alarms have occurred during the course of the investigation, including a six-foot-long metal item in the eastern state of Terengganu, and a sonar search which turned up a 19th century shipwreck.

MH370 search: Debris possibly belonging to missing Boeing 777 'found off coast of Mozambique' MH370
The sonar image of the shipwreck that was mistaken for the lost MH370 flight

The ATSB has said it knows of the discovery and will be conducting a thorough examination of the object, according to NBC News.

Until now, it had been conducting its searches on the assumption that the aircraft crashed when its fuel ran out after cruising on autopilot as a “ghost flight” with the pilots incapacitated or dead.

Last month, it was claimed investigators are preparing to revive theories that the plane may have been brought down deliberately.

The disappearance cost Malaysia Airlines a quarterly net loss of £83 million over two years as passengers shunned the company.

Relatives of the passengers on the missing jetliner, meanwhile, were further angered and saddened after the event by a perceived lack of information from Malaysian officials over the situation, with many refusing to accept the explanation that the plane simply crashed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/missing-mh370-debris-found-mozambique-africa-boeing-777-a6907286.html

I hope they are right for the sake of the families.

Pictures on link

Back to top Go down

MH370 search: Debris possibly belonging to missing Boeing 777 'found off coast of Mozambique' Empty Re: MH370 search: Debris possibly belonging to missing Boeing 777 'found off coast of Mozambique'

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:52 am

Have a friend visiting Sri Lanka and they had a Tsunami warning earlier today: 7.9 earthquake out in the ocean...wonder if that {and the other many quakes} has been shifting the demolished/wrecked pieces loose from under that depth of ocean?

Back to top Go down

MH370 search: Debris possibly belonging to missing Boeing 777 'found off coast of Mozambique' Empty Re: MH370 search: Debris possibly belonging to missing Boeing 777 'found off coast of Mozambique'

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:56 am

I saw that report as well.  Think it's more likely to be ocean currents but who knows?   Just hope the relatives get some anwers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:26 am

sassy wrote:I saw that report as well.  Think it's more likely to be ocean currents but who knows?   Just hope the relatives get some anwers.

I hope so too but it may end up being one of those that are never solved. The relatives are trapped in purgatory.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:28 am

They are aren't they.  How the hell would you cope.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:37 am

sassy wrote:They are aren't they.  How the hell would you cope.

The same way that people who have family members still MIA {missing in action} from Viet Nam/Iraq/Afghanistan --- they just carry on; and yet they'll get that heart stopping lurch when a voice or a image in a crowd will be such a 'doppelganger' to their lost loved one --- hope burns eternally. Sad

I grew up fascinated by the Emilia Earhart story...just can't imagine flying off into that bright blue yonder and just disappearing from --- for ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:41 am

They never did solve that did they.

Complicated family story, but my Dad's mothers father, ie my Great grandfather, disappeared when she was a teenager.  A few years ago I was researching family history.  He had rather an unusual job, he was a detective on the railway.  Lo and behold I found him, he'd never divorced my Great Grandmother in London, but had another family in Liverpool and I found their records.  Told my Dad about it, he was gobsmacked.    I must say, if her mother was anything like my grandmother, I'm not surprised he did a runner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down