NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British surrender to rebels at Saratoga

3 posters

Go down

British surrender to rebels at Saratoga Empty British surrender to rebels at Saratoga

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:51 pm

Imagine an entire U.S. Army brigade surrendering to the Taliban, and now you grasp the impact of the Battle of Saratoga in 1777. A British force of 7,000 men had laid their arms before an army that European experts had dismissed as colonial rabble.

Saratoga was a battle that should never have been fought. Britain always had a small army for a major European power, and a particularly small army for subduing an area the size of eastern North America. Yet Britain did have the Royal Navy, which conferred a strategic mobility that allowed the British to concentrate or evacuate their forces with a speed that George Washington's Continentals couldn't match.

So in the best British tradition of contempt for the enemy, the British chose to mount an overland expedition deep in the North American wilderness in autumn 1777, as far from naval support as the Moon. General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne would lead 7,000 men down from Canada into Upstate New York, where he would rendezvous near Albany with another force under General William Howe moving north from New York City. In theory, this would isolate that troublesome nest of revolutionaries in New England from the rest of the rebellious colonies.

http://www.nationalinterest.org/feature/god-save-the-queen-great-britain%E2%80%99s-five-biggest-military-11689
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

British surrender to rebels at Saratoga Empty Re: British surrender to rebels at Saratoga

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:54 pm

I always said the left like ancient history

but i will agree, we have at times suffered from the unbearable arrogance of leadership...

like blair and his "open door policies" for a more recent example Razz
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

British surrender to rebels at Saratoga Empty Re: British surrender to rebels at Saratoga

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:57 pm

Lord Foul wrote:I always said the left like ancient history

but i will agree, we have at times suffered from the unbearable arrogance of leadership...

At least you're able to admit your unbearable arrogance:

Britain is responsible for many of the world’s historic problems, including the conflict in Kashmir between India and Pakistan, David Cameron has said.

The Prime Minister appeared to distance himself from the imperial past when he suggested that Britain was to blame for decades of tension and several wars over the disputed territory, as well as other global conflicts.

His remarks came on a visit to Pakistan, when he was asked how Britain could help to end the row over Kashmir.

He insisted that it was not his place to intervene in the dispute, saying: “I don’t want to try to insert Britain in some leading role where, as with so many of the world’s problems, we are responsible for the issue in the first place.”

His remarks about Kashmir were greeted warmly by the audience of Pakistani students and academics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/8430899/David-Cameron-Britain-caused-many-of-the-worlds-problems.html
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:12 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Britain is responsible for many of the world’s historic problems, including the conflict in Kashmir between India and Pakistan, David Cameron has said.

The Prime Minister appeared to distance himself from the imperial past when he suggested that Britain was to blame for decades of tension and several wars over the disputed territory, as well as other global conflicts.

His remarks came on a visit to Pakistan, when he was asked how Britain could help to end the row over Kashmir.

He insisted that it was not his place to intervene in the dispute, saying: “I don’t want to try to insert Britain in some leading role where, as with so many of the world’s problems, we are responsible for the issue in the first place.”

His remarks about Kashmir were greeted warmly by the audience of Pakistani students and academics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/8430899/David-Cameron-Britain-caused-many-of-the-worlds-problems.html

not mine old bean.....i wasnt around then "non mea culpa" as it were.

oh and cameron is RIGHT, we should stop interfering and merely "wall up" trouble spots....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:14 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

not mine old bean.....i wasnt around then   "non mea culpa" as it were.

oh and cameron is RIGHT, we should stop interfering and merely "wall up" trouble spots....

Stop lying about your age.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:17 pm

well ben if i'm about 160 and STILL able to drive you mad with unanswerables and pick holes the size of jupiter into your lefty web of deceit then you HAVE no chance .....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:27 pm

Lord Foul wrote:well ben if i'm about 160 and STILL able to drive you mad with unanswerables and pick holes the size of jupiter into your lefty web of deceit   then you HAVE no chance .....

You must live in one of those psychedelic cartoons from the '60s.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:28 pm

I wish.....

sadly the best of those years were just too soon for me to truely "benefit"

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Got your arse kicked in VIETNAM didn't you Ben?
All those men, all those modern weapons all that gung ho mentality and you had to pull out.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down