NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas in Brunei, a reader’s account

Go down

Christmas in Brunei, a reader’s account Empty Christmas in Brunei, a reader’s account

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:51 pm

Christmas in Brunei, a reader’s account St-Andrew-Church-in-Bandar-Seri-Begawan-Brunei
The old St Andrew Church in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei

It was reported that Christmas celebrations were banned in Brunei.

So I went to the biggest church in Brunei, about 15 minutes from my place, to see how the ban affected the minority Christians in this tiny oil-rich country.

For the record, Muslims form 67% of the population, 13% are Buddhist, and another 10% Christian.

The remaining 10% subscribe to various religions, including indigenous religions.
I began my journey to the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption at the heart of Bandar Seri Begawan, the capital city of Brunei.

It is the biggest church in Brunei, in front of which there is another church painted in blue, St Andrews Church.

When I reached there about 8.30am, the place was packed.

Cars were parked at both sides of the road. There were a few stalls along the road near the entrance of the church selling clothes, drinks and foods.

The Christmas mass gets underway inside the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, the biggest church in Brunei, this morning. – Pic by Harris Nasril, December 25, 2015.The Christmas mass gets underway inside the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, the biggest church in Brunei, this morning. – Pic by Harris Nasril, December 25, 2015.Outside the church, I asked a woman if Christmas celebrations in Brunei were banned.

She told me the ban was only for Muslims and in public spaces, but in churches and in private properties, they could celebrate as usual.

Well, that explains a lot why I did not see Christmas trees in shopping complexes.

http://bit.ly/1Prb1FB

Thought I'd try to post this since Sassy was having problems.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Christmas in Brunei, a reader’s account Empty Re: Christmas in Brunei, a reader’s account

Post by Guest Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:37 pm

Are you both sharing the same brain cell?
Because it would certainly explain how the pair of you fail to grasp the ban or clearly did not read the article.
The coiuntry did mot impose a ban on churches or any mass to be banned.

Again read the article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/12063373/Sultan-of-Brunei-bans-Christmas-because-it-could-damage-faith-of-Muslims.html

Back to top Go down

Christmas in Brunei, a reader’s account Empty Re: Christmas in Brunei, a reader’s account

Post by Guest Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:47 pm

Thanks very much Ben, have no idea why it would not post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:51 pm

Yeah it ended up being pointless in regards to the Ban, I mean this might have given you a clue the ban was being imposed when they said,

Well, that explains a lot why I did not see Christmas trees in shopping complexes.

Not only that people should read articles to see what they regarded with the ban,

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down