NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law Empty Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:42 pm

Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law 1266584975Stephen_Fry

Stephen Fry has said he will cancel his reservations with a Brunei-owned hotel chain, after the country passed a ‘stone the gays’ law.

The Dorchester Collection, owned by the Sultan of Brunei, is facing boycotts after the Sultan passed a change to the penal code, calling for gays to be stoned to death.

Last week an LGBT philanthropist conference opted to cancel its booking with the group’s luxury Beverly Hills Hotel , and yesterday designers Peter Som and Brian Atwood said they would move Fashion Week events away from the chain.

Joining the boycott, Fry said that he has cancelled his booking with the chain’s five-star Coworth Park Hotel, located in Ascot.

He tweeted today: “Cancelled in nick of time: discovered [Coworth Park] that I was booked into is part of the ‘Dorchester Collection’.”

Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law CoworthParkUK

Stephen Fry has joined the boycott of the Brunei-owned Dorchester Collection Stephen Fry has joined the boycott of the Brunei-owned Dorchester Collection
4 reader comments

Stephen Fry has said he will cancel his reservations with a Brunei-owned hotel chain, after the country passed a ‘stone the gays’ law.

The Dorchester Collection, owned by the Sultan of Brunei, is facing boycotts after the Sultan passed a change to the penal code, calling for gays to be stoned to death.

Last week an LGBT philanthropist conference opted to cancel its booking with the group’s luxury Beverly Hills Hotel , and yesterday designers Peter Som and Brian Atwood said they would move Fashion Week events away from the chain.

Joining the boycott, Fry said that he has cancelled his booking with the chain’s five-star Coworth Park Hotel, located in Ascot.

He tweeted today: “Cancelled in nick of time: discovered [Coworth Park] that I was booked into is part of the ‘Dorchester Collection’.”

In response to the boycott, the chain told WWD yesterday: “We are sensitive to the fact that any such potential withdrawal of business directly impacts our employees, who represent the full diversity of society.

“We continue to abide by the laws of the countries we operate in and do not tolerate any form of discrimination of any kind.

“We are aware that many variations of Sharia law are practiced in many countries throughout the world and these countries have diverse business interests including fashion, hospitality and travel groups, media, entertainment, banking and many other sectors.”

The new law was scheduled to come into force on Tuesday, but an official said that it would now be put in place “in the very near future”.

Before the passage of the new law, same-sex sexual activity was punishable in the Islamic state with up to 10 years’ imprisonment.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/04/26/stephen-fry-boycotts-brunei-owned-hotel-over-stone-the-gays-law/

......Direct action!

Great stuff!  cheers 

Back to top Go down

Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law Empty Re: Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:25 pm

and never mind the 100's or 1000's of non Muslim gay and straight employees that may be affected....

what are they catman...mere collateral damage in your "war"? dont give a shit about them do we....nah....

Back to top Go down

Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law Empty Re: Stephen Fry boycotts Brunei-owned hotel over ‘stone the gays’ law

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:28 pm

I presume you are not serious Victor. You don't think women would do the same if it was about him passing a law stoning them for something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:33 pm

Sassy wrote:I presume you are not serious Victor.   You don't think women would do the same if it was about him passing a  law stoning them for something.

the question is valid....I dont know how many hotels this place runs...but....

they are HERE...not "there" the ONLY casualties will be the staff....who are not responsible for the sultans stupidity.....

who is going to pick up the benfits bill for those staff who are made redundant...stonewall?? pinknews? catman?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:44 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
Sassy wrote:I presume you are not serious Victor.   You don't think women would do the same if it was about him passing a  law stoning them for something.

the question is valid....I dont know how many hotels this place runs...but....

they are HERE...not "there" the ONLY casualties will be the staff....who are not responsible for the sultans stupidity.....

who is going to pick up the benfits bill for those staff who are made redundant...stonewall?? pinknews? catman?

So you wouldn't stop buying tins of tuna say, if you knew they were killing dolphins to get the tuna?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:54 pm

thats rubbish.... if I stopped buying tins of tuna...it would affect their people, not ours

No...if you want a TRUE comparison

why dont we just boycot ALL Muslim shops.....?

after all...that hits Muslims...not people TOTALLY remote from the "problem"

but never mind I do see....really....

this boycot will only hit (in the main) our own...so that to the left doesnt matter.....they really will be collateral damage...And really...who cares ...a few more on the dole....hey ho.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:00 pm

It effects people. Full Stop. But sometimes you have to stand up and be counted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:03 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:thats rubbish.... if I stopped buying tins of tuna...it would affect their people, not ours

this boycot will only hit (in the main) our own...so that to the left doesnt matter.....they really will be collateral damage...And really...who cares ...a few more on the dole....hey ho.....

Which would you choose?

Where we are, we have a Muslim owned shop, or a Tesco metro nearby!

We always choose the Muslim owned shop, for a pint of milk, tobacco, bread etc....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:05 pm

....And/also....We have been here for a number of years, and if there was ever a problem with our card, they trust us enough to give us credit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:07 pm

and bugger who you take down in the process...yeah...I understand OK....

SO...by THAT standard...It would be perfectly alright for someone ...lets say a business owner, who loses a family member to some nut job Muslim atrocity, to sack all his Muslim workers????

NO?.....i thought not, yet you cannot explain in any rational way, the difference between the two.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:09 pm

Catman wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:thats rubbish.... if I stopped buying tins of tuna...it would affect their people, not ours

Which would you choose?

We always choose the Muslim owned shop, for a pint of milk, tobacco, bread etc....

Well by the mentality displayed by the O/P...you should stop using them....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:10 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:and bugger who you take down in the process...yeah...I understand OK....

SO...by THAT standard...It would be perfectly alright for someone ...lets say a business owner, who loses a family member to some nut job Muslim atrocity, to sack all his Muslim workers????

NO?.....i thought not, yet you cannot explain in any rational way, the difference between the two.....

Let's turn it on it's head. What would the owner of a business have to do for you to boycott that business?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:23 pm

not perform....

but thats a DIVERSION alert.....

you cant hurt the "owner"...do you really think that this hotel chain is the sole source, or even a major source of the SULTAN of brunei's income???? ridiculous....
The only people this will hurt are the staff that have nothing to do with it....

again...do you just consider them as pawns in some ridiculous game....

and why complain then when "others" get played in the same way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:27 pm

Of course I don't. But sometimes you have to take a stand, no matter how ineffective. And because Stephen Fry is well know, it lets people know what the Sultan has done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:32 pm

yeah well its great for Stephen fry aint it....it dont cost him anything...zilch.....
whats it going to cost the frontline propaganda fodder...?

again ...oh I see...just their livelyhoods.....but I guess they should be proud to be made "scroungers" in SUCH a noble cause....

again....why not publicly burn a few korans? along with the Brunei flag... THAT would get far more notice....and it wouldnt hurt anyone....WOULD IT?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:38 pm

Oh rubbish, the Sultan ain't going to shut the hotels over this, he's bloody rolling in it. You're getting a bit hysterical Victor. Is no-one ever supposed to take a stand over anything?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:48 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
Catman wrote:

Which would you choose?

They are a really nice family that run the place, and well aware of our sexuality!  Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:49 pm

Sassy wrote:Oh rubbish, the Sultan ain't going to shut the hotels over this, he's bloody rolling in it.   You're getting a bit hysterical Victor.   Is no-one ever supposed to take a stand over anything?

Ah...the cop out

we are talking principles here i thought

start a boycott of a business...where "can" it lead????
well thats damn obvious
clearly EITHER Fry knows its an empty gesture...(and incidentally so will the sad sultan)
OR he thinks He can hurt the said miserable ruler...(and others are joining him so maybe they can)

IF its an empty gesture....well, great, huge tantrums are characteristic of the "arty" types" and it will make damn all difference anyway....
If Its not....oh great...It will have bugger all effect on the sinful sultan, except to make him damn mad....at which point he may well think his hotel chain is more trouble than its worth...and dump it. And then we have a few hundred folks out of work

do the "gay community think thats a good price to pay...you bet your life they do, along with the "progressives".

My point has more to do with the attitude displayed, and by your reaction....which seems to consider that the loss of a few hundred jobs is a good thing in exchange for "embarassing" said sultanic nit wit. YET would NOT entertain the same attitude if it hit "others".

why does the left hate its own so much???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Catman wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

They are a really nice family that run the place, and well aware of our sexuality!  Rolling Eyes 

apart from the fact that this is about "gay" issues in general, what has it got to do with YOUR (individual) sexuality??

yer gert tit...

let me explain

the sad sultan is a Muslim....it is Muslim ideology that is the problem....therefor you should hit home...I.e at the Muslims...NOT do things which jepordise white , gay and straight, hard working non Muslims people here.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:54 pm

How is this going to lose anyone their jobs?   It just lets people know what the Sultan has done.   You obviously think there are more principled people in the world than I do Victor.   I seriously, very seriously doubt one job will be lost.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:58 pm

Sassy wrote:How is this going to lose anyone their jobs?   It just lets people know what the Sultan has done.   You obviously think there are more principled people in the world than I do Victor.   I seriously, very seriously doubt one job will be lost.

but if there were....I bet you would still cheer Fry and this kind of pointlessness on would you not....
yet at the same time decry exactly what i suggest catman should do????

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:59 pm

victorisnotamused wrote:
Catman wrote:

apart from the fact that this is about "gay" issues in general, what has it got to do with YOUR (individual) sexuality??

yer gert tit...

let me explain

the sad sultan is a Muslim....it is Muslim ideology that is the problem....therefor you should hit home...I.e at the Muslims...NOT do things which jepordise white , gay and straight, hard working non Muslims people here.....

We haven't experienced any problems, with them at all on this local level.

You are one hell of a bigot, that hid it well when you were admin at SF  No 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:03 am

Catman wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

yer gert tit...

let me explain

so what??? NEITHER have you had any trouble with those staff that could potentially lose their jobs...yet you would applaud that if it advanced your cause...Me a bigot...I dont think so...not compared to you ....

You see catman...your double standards are well displayed here.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:03 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Sassy wrote:How is this going to lose anyone their jobs?   It just lets people know what the Sultan has done.   You obviously think there are more principled people in the world than I do Victor.   I seriously, very seriously doubt one job will be lost.

but if there were....I bet you would still cheer Fry and this kind of pointlessness on would you not....
yet at the same time decry exactly what i suggest catman should do????

Oh Victor! I would cheer anyone on who takes a stand against something so disgusting. And how would do what you said have any relevance to the Sultan, who is the one that needs to be brought to public attention.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:07 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Catman wrote:

so what??? NEITHER have you had any trouble with those staff that could potentially  lose their jobs...yet you would applaud that if it advanced your cause...Me a bigot...I dont think so...not compared to you ....

I'm not the only one to have picked up on YOUR double standards though. clown 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:11 am

Catman wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

He has shown no double standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:12 am

well i would have thought that burning a few korans, along with the brunei flag and perhaps an effigy of the sad sultan would have made the point quite clearly and positively...but of course, according to "progressive's" thinking that would also upset some "innocent victims"...so we cant possibly do that.

On the otherhand...it is no great matter how many potential innocent victims of our own we harm, whats a few more brits on the dole?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:15 am

Catman wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

like what scrounger?? No-one....even on SF.... was in any doubt as to my views on Islam....even SM

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:16 am

You are projecting Victor. No one has, or is likely to, lose their jobs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:17 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Catman wrote:

like what scrounger?? No-one....even on SF.... was in any doubt as to my views on Islam....even SM

So why am i a scrounger then...You nasty piece of shit?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:18 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Catman wrote:

This will be the 'some people' we hear so much about Victor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:23 am

Sassy wrote:You are projecting Victor.   No one has, or is likely to, lose their jobs.

That is irrelevant.......

my point was and still is that the progressive would STILL support frys actions even IF it cost jobs...because they dont give a toss about anyone except their own selfish interests...and they are too cowardly to hit back at the proper target....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:26 am

Nems wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

ahhh...I see...

just because you have been diagnosed as paranoid, doesnt preclude the possibility that "THEY" ARE indeed out to get you

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:26 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Sassy wrote:You are projecting Victor.   No one has, or is likely to, lose their jobs.

my point was and still is that the progressive would STILL support frys actions even IF it cost jobs...because they dont give a toss about anyone except their own selfish interests...and they are too cowardly to hit back at the proper target....

Sorry Victor, but that is absolute rubbish.   Fry's action has given publicity to a disgusting law passed by the Sultan so that people know about it.   That can only be a good thing, and no one is likely to be losing their jobs over it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:27 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Nems wrote:

ahhh...I see...

just because you have been diagnosed as paranoid, doesnt preclude the possibility that "THEY" ARE indeed  out to get you

I concur
 ::D:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:28 am

Catman wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

if you can afford multiple bottles of vodka to pickle whats left of your semi evolved simian intellect, then clearly you are scrounging.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:28 am

Nems wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

ahhh...I see...

just because you have been diagnosed as paranoid, doesnt preclude the possibility that "THEY" ARE indeed  out to get you

I concur
 ::D:: 

Gibber gibber

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:32 am

Sassy wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

Sorry Victor, but that is absolute rubbish. Is it though....IF some lost their jobs because the sultan threw a paddy...would you STILL support his actions??  Fry's action has given publicity to a disgusting law passed by the Sultan so that people know about it. (so would burning korans, flags and effigy's and far more potently)   That can only be a good thing, and no one is likely to be losing their jobs over it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:35 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Catman wrote:

if you can afford multiple bottles of vodka to pickle whats left of your semi evolved simian intellect, then clearly you are scrounging.....

It's up to me what i do with allowances that are paid to me, and others for which we are entitled to, shithead.

Have you sold any more of that ghastly furniture, that you had the gaul to post that crap on here?

......Thought not. :-:cawg:-: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:42 am

Catman wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

It's up to me what i do with allowances that are paid to me, and others for which we are entitled to, shithead.

Have you sold any more of that ghastly furniture, that you had the gaul to post that crap on here?

actually you are right...I havnt sold anymore furniture...I have been too busy with a kitchen refit to make any...but its worth it...£15,000 PROFIT worth of work...

think I might just do this one...and have the rest of the year off....that way I wont have any tax to pay after personal and capital expenditure allowances....so i wont have to contribute anything to keep you in vodka ya idle cretin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:08 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Catman wrote:

actually you are right...I havnt sold anymore furniture...I have been too busy with a kitchen refit to make any...but its worth it...£15,000 PROFIT worth of work...

think I might just do this one...and have the rest of the year off....that way I wont have any tax to pay after personal and capital expenditure allowances....so i wont have to contribute anything to keep you in vodka ya idle cretin

My personal allowance keeps me in a certain amount of Vodka Razz ....Perhaps you should look at your MP, that claims money in expenses, whilst still having a shed full of money?....Stupid ghost like cretin!  Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:15 am

Catman wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

My personal allowance keeps me in a certain amount of Vodka Razz ....Perhaps you should look at your MP, that claims money in expenses, whilst still having a shed full of money?....Stupid ghost like cretin!  Razz 

your personal allowance isnt the same as mine....yours is an allowance from your family ....have you declared it to the esa people?
mine is the straight forward tax allowance....that everyone has...
BTW..I have seen my MP's books....he is clean.....

if you can afford gallons of vodka, clearly you have too much money....oxygen thief....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:19 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Catman wrote:

your personal allowance isnt the same as mine....yours is an allowance from your family ....have you declared it to the esa people?

if you can afford gallons of vodka, clearly you have too much money....oxygen thief....

I'm allowed £6000 of savings before i have to declare anything Driud!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:20 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:22 am

Pwoor Victor (The druid)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:22 am

Catman wrote:
victorisnotamused wrote:

yeah...but how much INCOME are you allowed??

or are you spending your "lump sum"   and did you declare the lump sum when you received it as income you orrible hobgoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:40 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Catman wrote:

yeah...but how much INCOME are you allowed??

or are you spending your "lump sum"   and did you declare the lump sum when you received it as income you orrible hobgoblin

The house in Spain hasn't been sold yet, my mother invested money in my brothers houses, as a means to help them, and also the rental from one room in, one of my brothers houses would provide extra to her pension.

When my mum died, the 50K that my mum invested into my brothers house...and over time, my brother doesn't need to send the rental income, for that room to my mum anymore, so that has been diverted to me!

There is another 50K, that was invested into my other brothers property, he sold that a few years back, that was put into a high interest account, that can't be touched for about another year and a half.

We are all above board....So go weep Druid moron!

Razz Razz Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:34 am

Sorry victor, you're full of it on this one.

Look at Arizona if you want a good example. Enough people said they'd boycott Arizona for holidays, business creation, etc. if the state went through on its proposal to allow business owners to kick gay people out of their premises that Arizona's governor vetoed the bill -- even though it was her own party that proposed it.

If enough people did that with Brunei, their government would change so that their country didn't go broke.

And if voting with your money isn't freedom of expression, I don't know what the fuck is.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:32 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Catman wrote:

yer gert tit...

let me explain

Victor, in all respect, that is ridiculous. You think it's actually somehow better to boycott ALL Muslim businesses, millions of who do not support stoning to death or have a problem with gay people- just because of what it says in their holy book?

Presumably you wouldn't have supported the boycott of Apartheid South Africa either?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am

victorisnotamused wrote:and never mind the 100's or 1000's of non Muslim gay and straight employees that may be affected....

what are they catman...mere collateral damage in your "war"?   dont give a shit about them do we....nah....

Good morning Victor.

Great post although I don't entirely agree with you.But it will get the nosh bosuns & apologists wound up.

Blimely they're queueing up for a crack at you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next