NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please respect the anonymity of your fellow members

+8
nicko
Victorismyhero
Original Quill
Major
Tommy Monk
eddie
Cass
Ben Reilly
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Please respect the anonymity of your fellow members Empty Please respect the anonymity of your fellow members

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:38 pm

One of the nice things about forums like ours is that we get to say what we really think, thanks to our relative anonymity.

So that everyone continues to enjoy that freedom, please don't disclose any information about any other member here. It's only courteous to allow people to be the gatekeepers of their own information and to disclose or not disclose about themselves as they see fit.

We're not making a new rule, but there is an existing rule against https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxing. If we see this becoming a problem, we'll take additional action, but for now, I'm asking that we all just refrain from doing it. As eddie says (a lot), just address the post rather than the poster and we'll avoid 90 percent of problems like this.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Please respect the anonymity of your fellow members Empty Re: Please respect the anonymity of your fellow members

Post by Cass Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:40 am

Really? You have got to be kidding!

Has Didge gone again?

Ps happy post turkey day slump. We had dim sum today and leftovers tonight - score.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Please respect the anonymity of your fellow members Empty Re: Please respect the anonymity of your fellow members

Post by eddie Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:52 am

To be honest, I am on didge's side here; I don't think sassy was right to post that link whether it was him or not.

For the record, I get on with sassy fine and didge (at the moment) too, and at first I wasn't too concerned becasue as sassy pointed out, the pic was on a public webpage

However, that's no excuse really.

I don't think we should go around posting up stuff we think we've found on other posters.

Sorry but I have to be fair. Sassy should've been pulled up over this and I do stand in didge's corner on this issue as I've said in the admin section.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:27 pm

Was it the picture of Didge that looks like this...?

Please respect the anonymity of your fellow members Latest?cb=20131216060315

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:52 pm

So didge is gone again?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:56 pm

WTF...did I miss something???????? Please respect the anonymity of your fellow members 1780941361
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:01 pm

And me, what happened?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:29 pm

Doesn't anyone get bored of Didge deleting his account and then creating a new one the next day?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:30 pm

Anyway, there is already a rule about posting personal info.

Posts that include personal details about a particular member in abusive fashion are not allowed, and members who abusively post personal information about others may be subject to administrative action, including a permanent ban, at the administrators' discretion.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Is this to do with the thing that happened a few days ago? Sassy went off last night and hasn't posted since.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:36 pm

Sassy said she was going away for a few days.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Stormee wrote:I do not know many here , I wish someone would state what is actually going on, confused.

I don't know what's gone on today because I've been out. The other day, Didge said Sassy had sucked up to Ben to avoid being banned, and that he was going to report this forum to Forumotion if Ben didn't do something. I think it was to do with some reference to Didge's Facebook or something.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:07 pm

Stormee wrote:There is room for all sorts on here if people behave Miss Ragga, I am certain you already know that with your forum longevity and experience of aerosolz. lol lol lol .

Nobody behaves on here Stormee - have you not noticed? Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:34 am

Isn't that a good thing.....as long as personal insults are kept to a minimum?

I am getting a bit sick of Stepford forums where everyone has to toe the line.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:27 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Doesn't anyone get bored of Didge deleting his account and then creating a new one the next day?

Not bored...sometimes confused.

I like didge. He's a prolific poster, intelligent guy, and holds up his own and more around here. But he does have these 'flare-up' moments.

Some people know how to push his buttons, too. Twisted Evil

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:33 am

To clarify:
Didge and sassy got into a debate and sassy posted up a link which claimed to be didge on another site.
The link has since been removed

Didge reported sassy.

Sassy claims there is nothing wrong in posting a link that is on a public domain for anyone to find.
Didge claims it isn't him anyway but that it's against the rules to dox someone.

And that's it. In a nutshell.

Didge has left because Ben has taken the decision not to "punish" sassy and feels it unfair, and yes, sassy is away for a few days.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:44 pm

I don't yet know either of the two mentioned, but personally I feel it's wrong when people drag things, especially photos over from one forum to another to make a point.
Maybe a person feels comfortable sharing something with people on one site they would not feel happy with sharing on another.....the fact that it's an open site and the photo can be seen by all makes no difference imo.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:14 pm

Syl wrote:I don't yet know either of the two mentioned, but personally I feel it's wrong when people drag things, especially photos over from one forum to another to make a point.
Maybe a person feels comfortable sharing something with people on one site they would not feel happy with sharing on another.....the fact that it's an open site and the photo can be seen by all makes no difference imo.

However, I think you are in the minority. After all, pulling stuff off of another site is what Google is all about.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:00 pm

I just think this place is better when we allow one another to share what they want to share about who they are, and don't take it upon ourselves to "expose" other members.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:08 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:I don't yet know either of the two mentioned, but personally I feel it's wrong when people drag things, especially photos over from one forum to another to make a point.

However, I think you are in the minority.  After all, pulling stuff off of another site is what Google is all about.

I don't think Syl is in a minority, and the rules were broken. That rule was made in July 2014 because JD and/or Phil were doxing someone on here by posting stuff about them that they'd seen on another forum.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:18 pm

eddie wrote:To clarify:
Didge and sassy got into a debate and sassy posted up a link which claimed to be didge on another site.
The link has since been removed

Didge reported sassy.

Sassy claims there is nothing wrong in posting a link that is on a public domain for anyone to find.
Didge claims it isn't him anyway but that it's against the rules to dox someone.

And that's it. In a nutshell.

Didge has left because Ben has taken the decision not to "punish" sassy and feels it unfair, and yes, sassy is away for a few days.

I didn't see a link, I just saw a reference to a photo of Didge being on another site, and the name of the site. That happened several days ago though, and Didge complained at the time on the thread about schools banning religion. How come nothing was said then?

Didge is an annoying person, and I've been getting on better with Sassy lately, but if he wasn't happy with personal stuff being brought here, should it not have been dealt with at the time? If someone tried to dox me on here, I'd like to think that admin would do something about it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:23 pm

I wasn't online and the complaint made by didge, was made to Ben only.
There was a link and it's since been removed by me.
I should've taken the link off the day I learned of it but I think it was late the next day when I realised the link was still there.

As to the rest of your wonderings, I can't answer them.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:29 pm

eddie wrote:I wasn't online and the complaint made by didge, was made to Ben only.
I should've taken the link off the day I learned of it but I think it was late the next day when I realised the link was still there.

I responded as soon as I saw the complaint from Didge by locking and hiding the thread. I wanted to be able to look at what had been done while taking the link and the thread out of view for non-admins.

It's possible that you thought it was still up because you could still see it, but you have access to threads that most users don't.

Just for any users who may be curious, we do have a "Hidden Threads" section where we can put threads that might need to be referenced again in terms of deciding on whether a rule has been broken.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:31 pm

Oh, there was a different thread which was removed? I saw a reference to the photo of Didge in a thread last week, and it's still there.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:36 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:I wasn't online and the complaint made by didge, was made to Ben only.

I responded as soon as I saw the complaint from Didge by locking and hiding the thread. I wanted to be able to look at what had been done while taking the link and the thread out of view for non-admins.

It's possible that you thought it was still up because you could still see it, but you have access to threads that most users don't.

Just for any users who may be curious, we do have a "Hidden Threads" section where we can put threads that might need to be referenced again in terms of deciding on whether a rule has been broken.

Ah apologies. I followed your link in the admin panel and didn't even see the forum it was in, didn't realise it was in the hidden section.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:36 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Oh, there was a different thread which was removed? I saw a reference to the photo of Didge in a thread last week, and it's still there.

Can you PM me the link to the thread please?
Haven't got time to trawl through everything
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:39 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

However, I think you are in the minority.  After all, pulling stuff off of another site is what Google is all about.

I don't think Syl is in a minority, and the rules were broken. That rule was made in July 2014 because JD and/or Phil were doxing someone on here by posting stuff about them that they'd seen on another forum.

I think you are right: that doxing is not popular. And nobody likes it when it happens to him or her. On the other hand, we all frown upon censorship.

But it's like freedom of speech vs. invasion of privacy. We all hate censorship; yet we don't want our lives intruded upon. The question is, at what point does the one become the other?

This ultimately goes to the motives of the speaker. Is s/he trying to bring up something of public interest and/or necessity, or is s/he trying to further a personal agenda? Both freedom to speak and privacy have a general and an individual side. We all want to be unfettered in what we say, and we all want to get undressed alone. But we also want to shut someone up when speaking ill about us, and we often want to expose wrongdoing. So the question is, does the speaker have a general interest to further, or is it a private matter?

You can point to one, and you can point to the other...and both are right. It just depends on the circumstances. Are you trying to promote a general interest, or just tear someone down?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:41 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Oh, there was a different thread which was removed? I saw a reference to the photo of Didge in a thread last week, and it's still there.

Can you PM me the link to the thread please?
Haven't got time to trawl through everything

Will do.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:42 pm

Some people get worried about people knowing what they look like or where they're from or whatever.

I guess it's just not nice to feel "outed"

Saying that, someone did that to sassy recently if I recall?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:44 pm

eddie wrote:Some people get worried about people knowing what they look like or where they're from or whatever.

I don't remember that happening, though I think HF tried to provoke her with a few things he posted.

Bottom line is that I can't live on this site, I have a lot of other things I have to do. No admin should be expected to make policing a forum their full-time occupation.

That's why we continue to ask people to act like grownups here. The problem with that is that people never realize that they're not Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:48 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Some people get worried about people knowing what they look like or where they're from or whatever.

I don't remember that happening, though I think HF tried to provoke her with a few things he posted.

Bottom line is that I can't live on this site, I have a lot of other things I have to do. No admin should be expected to make policing a forum their full-time occupation.

That's why we continue to ask people to act like grownups here. The problem with that is that people never realize that they're not Smile

Sassy also made a reference to where HF lives though. I remember discussing that issue at the time.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:53 pm

Oh, in that video?

Sassy has put her own photo on here, so that's maybe a bit different. She did object though, and it was dealt with, which was the right thing.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:53 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

Oh, in that video?

Sassy has put her own photo on here, so that's maybe a bit different. She did object though, and it was dealt with, which was the right thing.

Yes that's correct
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:55 pm

I'd put my photo up, but it's got a number under it!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:56 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Oh, in that video?

Yes that's correct

Some people do put their photo out there, but I just think that if someone else posts it, or links to it or whatever, they are entitled to object. That also goes for any info about them which is in the "public domain" - a common excuse which is used when doxing someone.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:33 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

Yes that's correct

Some people do put their photo out there, but I just think that if someone else posts it, or links to it or whatever, they are entitled to object. That also goes for any info about them which is in the "public domain" - a common excuse which is used when doxing someone.

Well but...wouldn't that go for any news story that we discuss every day here...or many days, for some stories?  Someone's name...some incident...off we go.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Well but...wouldn't that go for any news story that we discuss every day here...or many days, for some stories?  Someone's name...some incident...off we go.

No, it's not the same thing at all. I don't think Mr Cameron, etc, will be joining this forum any time soon.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:14 pm

AS far as I can recall the You Tube video thread was put in the basement and the video deleted..............

only to be followed by a later video which was exactly the same but wiith the face faded out. But we still knew who it was. Can't remember what happened about that one.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:55 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

No, it's not the same thing at all. I don't think Mr Cameron, etc, will be joining this forum any time soon.

So, if anybody on this forum was in the news, it would be against the rules to bring it up...or at least post it?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:14 am

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

So, if anybody on this forum was in the news, it would be against the rules to bring it up...or at least post it?

I doubt we'd know they were in the news unless they said so. I don't know the real names of most of the people on this forum - do you?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:54 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I doubt we'd know they were in the news unless they said so. I don't know the real names of most of the people on this forum - do you?

Some. Again, I'm only asking to play devil's advocate. I'm not taking sides.

I think you side-stepped the question. The question was, if someone on here were newsworthy, would it be taboo to speak of it? You avoided the question by claiming it would never come up. What if it did? I know some people by name. Sassy knows a lot of names. Some people even meet outside of the board. Does that matter?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:42 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Some.  Again, I'm only asking to play devil's advocate.  I'm not taking sides.

I think you side-stepped the question.  The question was, if someone on here were newsworthy, would it be taboo to speak of it?  You avoided the question by claiming it would never come up.  What if it did?  I know some people by name.  Sassy knows a lot of names.  Some people even meet outside of the board.  Does that matter?  

I think it would depend on the nature of the posts about such a person. If people used the situation out of context in order to abuse the person, I don't think that's appropriate. If they were just interested generally, that would be OK, as long as the person was happy to discuss it.

As to the actual rules, you'd have to ask admin what the rule is about posting such links without the member's permission.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:42 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Some.  Again, I'm only asking to play devil's advocate.  I'm not taking sides.

I think you side-stepped the question.  The question was, if someone on here were newsworthy, would it be taboo to speak of it?  You avoided the question by claiming it would never come up.  What if it did?  I know some people by name.  Sassy knows a lot of names.  Some people even meet outside of the board.  Does that matter?  

I think it would depend on the nature of the posts about such a person. If people used the situation out of context in order to abuse the person, I don't think that's appropriate. If they were just interested generally, that would be OK, as long as the person was happy to discuss it.

As to the actual rules, you'd have to ask admin what the rule is about posting such links without the member's permission.

I agree. As I said elsewhere, it really depends on someone's motive. If it's newsworthy independent of any personal relationship, then there is an independent basis for interest. However, if it's just to embarrass the individual, then it's same ole', same ole'.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:52 pm

Well I have something to say on this to add some reality to what is going on here which is nothing more that yet another drama queen moment.

Didge started making personal comments on a thread about physical appearance to which I said given what he looks like perhaps he should stop with the personal comments. That prompted this response:

I have seen your ugly mug, man alive how many cameras did you break just to get that picture lol?

Which no doubts relates to my picture and a lot more details about me being published in a You Tube video which was splashed all over Flap’s forum, broadcast on You Tube and then brought here much to the amusement of many I might add. I don’t recall that many calling for punitive action about that or anyone jumping ship in protest or indeed anyone being banned. And to post that someone had to retain the photo I put on here, find out my name from my Twitter account, and then trawl through the results of the local council elections to put it all together.  So that’s the benchmark for action then isn’t it? I moved on from that and made my peace on all,  that but Didge obviously thought it a good idea to use it again.

I might add, that when my details were used, I reported it to Ben and allowed him to deal with it, even though he did not ban the poster who did it.

As for Didge. He is the most abusive poster on here coming out with some of the most disgusting comments about people, their family, their occupation and their nationality. His abuse of women in particular has been lewd with disgraceful and indecent comments that were obscene in anyone’s language and most women on here have complained about it on more than one occasion and I for one thought he should be banned because of it.  However, I didn't throw a strop when he wasn't and didn't follow him all night going 'tick tock, tick tock' like some demented Captain Hook.   Given that, he has a bloody cheek complaining about anything because if that doesn’t call for a ban then nothing does.

If someone uses an image or information about me that was on the internet to make a comment like the one I quoted above directly to me then they forfeit the right to complain about me pointing them in the direction of what they look like.  I never published any images of him on here unlike what happened to me, I put on a freely available link to his profile on *******, which is another forum, where HE had put his photo and name, so obviously didn't mind anyone seeing it.  He knows full well he has been known as Phildidge on forums for many years.

He’ll be back soon enough anyway under the pretence that he has the right of reply only to be here about 10,000 posts later and yet another flounce.  

PS, I shan't be adding anything else to the thread, he simply doesn't warrant the attention.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:09 pm

Inever knew he was Phildidge, I should have guessed it by that name, but then again I am a bit thick.

Oh well you live and learn!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:16 pm

These are not things that you haven't done yourself, sassy. Didge is an excitable type guy, and you know that any time you get into it with him it will go on for an infinity.

What you need with someone like that is a file of 'exit strategies', things that leave your point intact, yet excuse you from returning.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next