NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phones In Cars

+4
nicko
Raggamuffin
Victorismyhero
Major
8 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Phones In Cars Empty Re: Phones In Cars

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:55 pm

should have jailed you for 20 years,,,

it should be a criminal offense to have a phone even accesible whilst driving
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:50 pm

Lord Foul wrote:should have jailed you for 20 years,,,

it should be a criminal offense to have a phone even accesible whilst driving

Absolutely agree.  Highly dangerous and the cause of many accidents.

If he was holding it, also illegal and he should have been charged.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:09 pm

There's no need to be on the phone when you're driving IMO. Can't things wait for a while? I can't be doing with people who seem to have their phones handy at all times, and if you go out, the first thing they do is put their phone on the table "in case" someone rings them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:16 pm

i'v been pushed around in a Wheelchair, and many times some dick head has walked into me because he had a phone glued to his ear and not looking where he was going!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:51 pm

Can't help but wonder if simply talking to other passengers in the vehicle might not have the same effect?  Roadside advertising?

I will say that texting probably has the most deleterious effect of any type of distraction.  It concentrates more of your mind space, for a longer period of time, than almost anything else.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:01 pm

If i'm talking to other people in the passage seat, I never turn my head to look at them,i keep my eyes on the road at all times.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:07 pm

nicko wrote:If i'm talking to other people in the passage seat, I never turn my head to look at them,i keep my eyes on the road at all times.

The same things that you do when talking on the cell phone, I'm sure. I'm just wondering if there isn't the same degree of distraction with a passenger in the car, regardless of whether you look at them.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:16 pm

Stormee wrote:Do you use a telephone whilst driving?

Do you have views on this?

Big headed copper told me off yesterday for using my phone in my car, I was less than happy with him and made it clear.
He accused me of not concentrating, I asked him to further explain and he said, "you cannot drive and use your phone", I told him, "I can and police do it" and he walked away as he had a call.

No

yes don`t do it

it also depends on the phone hands free or not

if its hands free then it is marginally safer
if its not hands free then it is dangerous as you only have one hand on the wheel and not in proper control of the car

police generally use radios not phones and i don`t think using a radio is illegal (it should be imo)
police tend to have completed advanced driving courses

interestingly i used a phone while driving yesterday against my better judgment after picking my daughter up from hospital i needed to phone the police and alert then to a wheel in the carriage way before it cause a accedent i have been driving for over 30 years without an accident but i was distracted and uncomfortable doing so especially when i also had to describe the location
so in exceptional circumstances i would say it may be necessary but only then as complacency leads to accidents

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:19 pm

nicko wrote:If i'm talking to other people in the passage seat, I never turn my head to look at them,i keep my eyes on the road at all times.
there is a difference between looking at them (as seen in movies and tv shows )or glancing at them
As you take your eyes of the road when checking your wing mirrors or even your rear view mirror

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:25 pm

nicko wrote:i'v been pushed around in a Wheelchair, and many times some dick head has walked into me because he had a phone glued to his ear and not looking where he was going!
thats also has to do with the fact people in wheelchairs seem invisible to some morons phone or not (my daughter uses a wheelchair) and have seen it happen to many times to count

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:45 pm

I thought it was illegal in the UK already - at least it was against the law and brought you penalty points and a fine before I left in 2008.

This morning I was nearly run off the road by a woman on her phone who took a turning too wide and came over into my lane. Asshat.

If you must take a call, then pull over, turn off your car. You will potentially save your life and others.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:12 pm

I think if you are talking/listening on a phone it requires more concentration than if you are talking/listening to someone sat next to (or behind) you in a car.

Not sure why....it just does.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:19 pm

Syl wrote:I think if you are talking/listening on a phone it requires more concentration than if you are talking/listening to someone sat next to (or behind) you in a car.

Not sure why....it just does.

Fair enough. I just wondered.

There are such things as telephonic hearings in courts. I remember when cell phones first came out, one judge would fine an attorney who was driving while on the line. Course, that was before it became illegal.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:12 pm

My other half has exactly the same thing, because he does surveys and is on the road all day.  If it rings he says, call you back.  He then finds a place to pull over and talks to them.  He's a road surveyor and knows just how many accidents are caused by people being distracted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:57 pm

stormee...if I had my way that cop should have dragged you outta your car and shot you at the side of the road.... Twisted Evil

phones are "duplex conversations"....that is both can talk at the same time, and as such it requires MUCH greater concentration to talk on a phone than on a radio....

also the stats show that whilst a large number of accidents and some fatal ones at that have been caused by using a phone

there are NO stats showing any accidents caused by the use of two way radio, which is a simplex conversation
i.e only one person can talk at once.....

I have "ham radio" in my vehicle indeed i have a "communications center" built into it, with radio comms, full colour stereo sound TV (connected to several robotic machines, both small armoured and fire proof land crawlers and flying drones(we used to use r/c planes but drones are FAR better)) internet via packet radio, full gps gear indeed from my van, i can deploy more technology than the total capability of fire police and ambulace services in my county. The r/c vehicles carry pyrometers, geiger counters  toxic gas detectors and cameras and can be used to investigate fire areas, taker leaks etc...as well as be used a "extra eyes" in search and rescue (I'm at present building a thermal imaging system to put on one of them....) (Yes ok...so i'm a "nerd" Laughing )

oh ...and as an aside...the gear is all home built...(apart from the "bots"...its cheaper to buy them  pale and the actual transmitter receiver)

and my presence via RAYNET to help the emergency services when required (not often....only for big problems)
is VOLUNTARY....If one of my bots gets destroyed or contaminated...I write it off..... Phones In Cars 2190311264

now do I use the simple radio gear whilst driving...NO...becasue even though legal (becasue it has no accident stats attached to it) I would still find it a distraction

would i use it if called out by RAYNET to deploy all that tech...of course...THEN it would be different....i have on "excercises"  

In short...you should NOT use ANYTHING that causes distractions...

if you dont need to think hard about the call...its NOT important...If you DO then you clearly should NOT be driving
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:00 pm

oh and some times......I use one of the heavy drones to carry my ledger out far beyond where I can cast....along with a bit of ground bait....and drop it in the water for me Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:48 am

Already illegal down here pirat
fine and loss of points on license about the same penalty as going more than 10km over the speed limit
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:53 am

VIC,if one of those "drones" came over your hide while you were Pigeon shooting what would you do?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:51 am

Stormee wrote:I tried to word this post carefully and by and large you fell for it, it is all true though.

Let me explain.

In my car if I wish to phone someone I press a button on the right hand side of the steering wheel with my right thumb, I do not look at the button cus I know exactly where it is.
Then the phone asks me to say a command, so I say "call Ragamuffin" or "call Original Quill"  or anyone whose name is in the car phone or my mobile phone contacts, my mobile MUST be in the car and switched on, I Must use the word CALL or it will not work.
Then all I hear is the phone ringing until Ragga or O Q answer. We talk, both my hands never leave the steering wheel.
When Ragga or OQ hang up my phone goes to the off position automatically.

All calls come through the car radio speakers connected to blue tooth, how it works beats me.

If a call comes in it will ring and I press a button on the righthand side of steering wheel with my thumb and commence talking.

All the copper actually seen was my lips moving.

So, all you clever people out there, what is so wrong with pressing a button with your thumb?

BTW, this car is automatic.

I wish sat nav was as simple.

Sorry - I was out when you called. Laughing

My car is automatic as well. I don't have one of those buttons though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:01 am

Stormee wrote:I tried to word this post carefully and by and large you fell for it, it is all true though.

Let me explain.

In my car if I wish to phone someone I press a button on the right hand side of the steering wheel with my right thumb, I do not look at the button cus I know exactly where it is.
Then the phone asks me to say a command, so I say "call Ragamuffin" or "call Original Quill"  or anyone whose name is in the car phone or my mobile phone contacts, my mobile MUST be in the car and switched on, I Must use the word CALL or it will not work.
Then all I hear is the phone ringing until Ragga or O Q answer. We talk, both my hands never leave the steering wheel.
When Ragga or OQ hang up my phone goes to the off position automatically.

All calls come through the car radio speakers connected to blue tooth, how it works beats me.

If a call comes in it will ring and I press a button on the righthand side of steering wheel with my thumb and commence talking.

All the copper actually seen was my lips moving.

So, all you clever people out there, what is so wrong with pressing a button with your thumb?

BTW, this car is automatic.

I wish sat nav was as simple.
er?  eh  you said "using my phone in my car" how did he know you where using your phone you could have been singing along to the radio or cd as i often do nether is illegal

you also said using my phone in the car not the phone in the car

for you to claim you tried to word his post carefully, you obviously failed dismally i am afraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:24 pm

Stormee wrote:
korban dallas wrote:
er?  eh  you said "using my phone in my car" how did he know you where using your phone you could have been singing along to the radio or cd as i often do nether is illegal

you also said using my phone in the car not the phone in the car

for you to claim you tried to word his post carefully, you obviously failed dismally i am afraid

Will answer this KD.

He could hear the caller talking and myself, he was a motorbike cop standing on Y section of road with traffic lights, as my window was down he could hear as I was stopped on red.
His attitude was YOU ARE NOT CONCENTRATING.

I knew I was not breaking any law.

Hope this helps.

ANYTHING ELSE??????????????
WhY ARE YOU SHOUTING??????????????????

to be honest i couldn't give a shit
just that your original post missed some key points to the story and very relevant information

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:12 pm

By deliberately mis-wording it, Stormee ovbiously thought he was being clever Rolling Eyes

He wasn't, because under the circumstances he re-describes, he still should have pulled over to be safe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:19 pm

nicko wrote:VIC,if one of those "drones"  came over your hide while you were Pigeon shooting what would you do?
probably shoot it down Laughing I hear 28g of no6 is quite effective.......actually...I'd jam its control signal and try to "take over" control Twisted Evil

BUT MY drones dont fly over peoples hides....

they fly over mountains looking for lost hikers
they fly over flooded areas looking for people stranded
they CAN...if needed fly over fires and into buildings looking for people...

oh and they sometimes carry my bait out to sea a ways Laughing
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down