NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women

2 posters

Go down

Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women Empty Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women

Post by Guest Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:17 pm

Harriet Harman has dramatically broken her silence over the election of Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader by condemning his failure to appoint women to top jobs.

The party's former acting leader, who stayed scrupulously neutral during the leadership contest, hit out at the "clean sweep of men" in senior positions and called on the party to "sort it out".

Although the Shadow Cabinet has 16 women and 15 men, Mr Corbyn has been attacked for failing to appoint women to top jobs like shadow chancellor, which went to his closest ally John McDonnell, and shadow home secretary, given to leadership runner-up Andy Burnham.
"Now, we have a male leader, male deputy leader, male London mayoral candidate and male general secretary. These were all separate elections so it’s not any of their fault - but we can't leave it as a clean sweep of men.

"We've got to sort it out so that we have women's leadership at the top of the party - and that must include women who are chosen by and accountable to us women in the party.

"Women who are strong enough to fight for women because they are elected  - as well as those who are appointed by the male leadership."
http://news.sky.com/story/1559385/harman-tells-corbyn-sort-out-jobs-for-women

Back to top Go down

Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women Empty Re: Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women

Post by nicko Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:35 pm

If a woman can do the job, why not?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women Empty Re: Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:04 am

Mr Corbyn was warmly welcomed at the women’s conference with sustained applause. However, his speech, which praised Harriet Harman’s achievements in advancing the rights of women, papered over the issue of the lack of women in senior shadow roles.

He told delegates that his promise to ensure his Shadow Cabinet had an equal male-female balance had been honoured and said there were now 16 women and 15 men in his shadow team. Those who were expecting an explanation for the male dominance in the top shadow jobs were disappointed.

He made a thinly veiled reference to the criticism of his equality credentials in the opening days of his leadership, saying that after being elected he “realised troubles were just beginning”.

Read More: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/harriet-harman-labour-is-failing-women-a6668536.html

Exactly Nicko, I'm not surprised that Labour women are disappointed.  The article goes on to state that this is the first time in more than 10 years that all of Labour's senior positions have been held by men.

It must feel like a backward step and a real slap in the face, particularly if one of the reasons they voted Corbyn for leader was equality for women Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women Sigh10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:55 am

Love the way people who wouldn't know a 'Labour Woman' ie someone who is a member of the Labour Party and who works for them and voted in the Leader elections, if she came up and bit them, pontificate about what 'Labour Women' think.  The biggest majority think Harman is a Blairite through and through and is part of yesterday, and we are extremely happy at what is happening, the Movement is growing even bigger by the day.  Men devised what the 'top jobs' in the cabinet are, because they are 'macho', real Feminists disagree and are very happy that the really important jobs have gone to women.  Angela Eagle for Business, of course the Daily Mail won't tell you that she turned down Home Office, Maria Eagle for Defence, Lucy Powell Education,  Lisa Nandy Energy and Climate, Kerry McCarthy Environment, Heidi Alexander Health, Diane Abbot International Development, Catherine McKinnell Law Offices, Angela Smith Leader of the House of Lords, Lilian Greenwood Transport, Nia Griffith Wales and Kate Green Women & Equalities (who has worked for Equalities, unlike the Tory Equalities Minister who didn't believe in equal marriages) making up and coming women very well represented.   What is more important that Defence, Education and Health?

On other appointments, thrilled to bits that our mate Clive Lewis has been appointed to the shadow front bench as a Shadow Minister in the Energy and Climate team.  He's worked his socks of and as a person is totally inspiring and absolutely deserved to be appointed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:10 pm

psos MORI have published their September political monitor for the Evening Standard. Topline voting intention figures are CON 39%, LAB 34%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 7%, GRN 4%.
MORI have made another methodological change in the light of the polling error at the general election. Previously they had started including how regularly people say they usually vote in the turnout filter, now they have also added additional weighting by newspaper readership. Again, the methodology review is still an ongoing process, and MORI make clear they anticipate making further changes.
The rest of the poll had a series of questions about perceptions of the party leaders and parties.
Jeremy Corbyn’s first satisfaction rating is minus 3 (33% are satisfied with him as leader, 36% dissatisfied). At first glance that isn’t bad – it’s a better net rating than Cameron or the government! In a historical context though it’s not good. New leaders normally get a polling honeymoon, the public give them the benefit of the doubt to begin with and Corbyn’s net rating is the worst MORI have recorded for a new leader of one of the big two parties (the initial ratings for past party leaders were Miliband +19, Brown +16, Cameron +14, Howard +9, IDS 0, Hague -1, Blair +18, Smith +18, Major +15, Kinnock +20, Foot +2)
Looking at the more detailed questions on perceptions of Jeremy Corbyn his strengths and weaknesses compared to David Cameron are very similar to the ones we got used to in Cameron v Miliband match ups: Cameron scores better on things like being a capable leader, good in a crisis, sound judgement; Corbyn scores better on being in touch with ordinary people, having more substance than style and being more honest than most politicians. Asked overall who would make the most capable Prime Minister Cameron wins by 53% to 27%.
Of course, all of Jeremy Corbyn’s ratings need to be seen in the context that he is very new to the job and the public don’t know a whole lot about him beyond the initial negative press. Early perceptions of him may yet change. His figures may get better… or worse.
MORI also asked about perceptions of the Labour and Conservative parties, and here the impact of Corbyn’s victory on how the Labour party itself is seen was very evident. The proportion of people seeing the party as divided is up 33 points to 75%, extreme is up 22 points to 36% and out of date is up 19 points to 55%. Both the Labour party and the Conservative party had a big jump in the proportion of people saying they were “Different to other parties” – I suppose it takes two parties to be different from each other!
Full details of the MORI poll are here

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:11 pm

ComRes and YouGov both had post-Corbyn polls in the Indy on Sunday/Sunday Mirror and Sunday Times respectively. Tabs are here – Comres, YouGov.
ComRes had topline voting intention figures of CON 42% (+2), LAB 30%(+1), LDEM 7%(-1), UKIP 13%(nc), GRN 3%(-1). Changes are since their August poll and show no obvious impact from Jeremy Corbyn becoming leader.
YouGov had topline figures of CON 39%, LAB 31%, LDEM 6%, UKIP 16%, GRN 3%. YouGov haven’t released voting intention figures since May, but as you can see, the gap between Labour and the Conservatives is barely changed from the election (the difference between the 12 point Tory lead in ComRes and the 8 point Tory lead in YouGov will be at least partially because ComRes have adopted their new socio-economic turnout model, which weights down younger and poorer voters who are historically less likely to vote. YouGov are still reviewing their methods post-election).
YouGov included some more questions about early attitudes towards Jeremy Corbyn. Most people don’t think he has much chance of being Prime Minister (only 14% think it’s likely), but beyond that attitudes are currently quite evenly divided. 30% think he’s strong enough to be a good leader, 41% think he is not.
36% of people agree with the description that Corbyn has dangerous and unworkable views and would be a threat to the economy and national security, but 32% agree with the description that he’s a man of integrity & principle who has caught the mood of people disillusioned by politics. 7% don’t agree with either, 6% agree with both (which is fair enough – one could be a decent and principled man with unworkable and dangerous views!).

YouGov also asked about a list of policies that have been supported by Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell in the past, announced by Corbyn or floated as possible Labour policies. Again, they found a mixed bag. Some, like withdrawal from NATO, negotiating over the Falklands and abolishing the benefit cap are extremely unpopular, but other things like a higher top rate of tax, rent controls and nationalising the utility companies meet with wide public approval.
The rest of ComRes’s poll had bank of favourable/unfavourable opinion questions on leading politicians. Boris Johnson had the most favourable net score of those asked about with plus 8, followed by David Cameron on minus 7, Theresa May (minus 11), Vince Cable (minus 14), George Osborne (minus 17), Jeremy Corbyn (minus 18), Nicola Sturgeon (minus 19), Nick Clegg (minus 27).
Tom Watson actually had a comparatively good score – minus 8 – but on a low number of responses (71% said don’t know or no opinion), Tim Farron and John McDonnell got similarly high don’t knows, though more negative scores. At this stage, the public simply aren’t familiar enough with them to hold any strong positive or negative opinions.
UPDATE: I missed a third national GB poll, Opinium for the Observer. They had topline figures of CON 37%, LAB 32%, LDEM 6%, UKIP 14%. Opinium also included a best PM question (Cameron 41%, Corbyn 22%) and had some figures on whether Labour under Corbyn could win that were a little more optimistic for them – 32% think Labour could definitely or probably win under Corbyn, 55% though they probably or definitely could not. Tabs are here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Never hear women complaining that they aren't getting more of all the shitty jobs that are almost exclusively men having to do...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:48 pm

Let us not forget the nightmare that followed last time we had a woman in power!
Harriet is a shit stirrer after a job. My god remember Blairs babes? The poison dwarf Hazel Blears?!
Appointments must be made on ability and I think we need to remember how many women spat the dummy and ruled themselves out of cabinet jobs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:32 pm

Quite right Nems, many of them ruled themselves out.  And real feminists don't want women to get jobs just because they are women, they want them to get jobs on an equal basis when they are right for the job.  Should know, been one for over 50 years now.

Absolutely brilliant interview on the Andrew Marr Show this morning,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06fwqc5/the-andrew-marr-show-27092015

This is what Kevin Maguire, of the Mirror, said about Jeremy's appearance:

"Lot of people will have watched that Corbyn interview on ‪#‎marr‬ and liked what they saw and heard. Did himself and Labour a power of good."

Interview starts from 32.18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Good afternoon Folks.

I watched the Corbyn interview this morning & I found myself saying,'Come on mate,answer the question.Say something substantial.' To me,he sounded exactly like any other politician.......evasive...uncomfortable.....speaking but not saying much.

His fellow MPs must have been disappointed with his run of the mill & predictable performance.He's supposed to be the bringer of a different kind of politics.Well from where I was sitting,it was the same old stuff.

Regarding the question of women within the Labour party,I would like to make an outside bet on this happening......There will be a Labour leadership challenge before the next General Election & a woman will win.

Interestingly enough,here's the latest betting from William Hill regarding Corbyn:

Year he leaves Labour leadership post.......2016@7/4.Odds indicate he's toast.

Corbyn NOT to be Labour leader at next General Election 1/2.Odds indicate he's toast.

I can't find odds for a woman to be the next Labour leader prior to the GE but if they are given,I would jump on a bet like that.

My dear fellow left wingers & loonie lefties (because there is a difference) a Labour female leader is the way forward for you...............Not some stupid old man.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:26 pm

sassy wrote:Quite right Nems, many of them ruled themselves out.  And real feminists don't want women to get jobs just because they are women, they want them to get jobs on an equal basis when they are right for the job.  Should know, been one for over 50 years now.

Absolutely brilliant interview on the Andrew Marr Show this morning,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06fwqc5/the-andrew-marr-show-27092015

This is what Kevin Maguire, of the Mirror, said about Jeremy's appearance:

"Lot of people will have watched that Corbyn interview on ‪#‎marr‬ and liked what they saw and heard. Did himself and Labour a power of good."

Interview starts from 32.18

Actually was just going to go on the IPlayer and watch the interview. John Prescott described it as the best interview by a Labour leader in 10 years

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:05 pm

Shady wrote:Good afternoon Folks.

I watched the Corbyn interview this morning & I found myself saying,'Come on mate,answer the question.Say something substantial.' To me,he sounded exactly like any other politician.......evasive...uncomfortable.....speaking but not saying much.

His fellow MPs must have been disappointed with his run of the mill & predictable performance.He's supposed to be the bringer of a different kind of politics.Well from where I was sitting,it was the same old stuff.

Regarding the question of women within the Labour party,I would like to make an outside bet on this happening......There will be a Labour leadership challenge before the next General Election & a woman will win.

Interestingly enough,here's the latest betting from William Hill regarding Corbyn:

Corbyn NOT to be Labour leader at next General Election 1/2.Odds indicate he's toast.

I can't find odds for a woman to be the next Labour leader prior to the GE but if they are given,I would jump on a bet like that.

My dear fellow left wingers & loonie lefties (because there is a difference) a Labour female leader is the way forward for you...............Not some stupid old man.

Good Evening Shady Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women Pirate14

In my own personal opinion I believe Corbyn to be unelectable.  You would hope that the Labour Party would realise this before the next election, it seems plenty are prepared to speak out against his views.  

It's hardly been two weeks and he's already caused conflict within and several raised eyebrows from the general public.  He has some pretty way out wacky ideas, idealistic rather than realistic.  He now seems to be back tracking and trying to be more moderate.  What does this say about a man who has aggressively stood by his principles for the past 30 years? Is he prepared to compromise for popularity? Do we really want a wacky idealist running the country?  Aren't we already in enough of a mess?  Sad

The Labour Party should be licking their wounds and trying to regroup after their humiliating defeat, not appointing a Leader who is likely to bring it to it's knees.  

Corbyn has at least got the country talking about politics and the real issues faced in the UK. He is the news that just keeps giving!  Laughing

When it comes to the next election hopefully people will be a bit more clued up.  Life in the UK with Corbyn as Prime Minister?  God help us Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women Run_fo10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:13 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Shady wrote:Good afternoon Folks.

In my own personal opinion I believe Corbyn to be unelectable.  You would hope that the Labour Party would realise this before the next election, it seems plenty are prepared to speak out against his views.  

It's hardly been two weeks and he's already caused conflict within and several raised eyebrows from the general public.  He has some pretty way out wacky ideas, idealistic rather than realistic.  He now seems to be back tracking and trying to be more moderate.  What does this say about a man who has aggressively stood by his principles for the past 30 years? Is he prepared to compromise for popularity? Do we really want a wacky idealist running the country?  Aren't we already in enough of a mess?  Sad

The Labour Party should be licking their wounds and trying to regroup after their humiliating defeat, not appointing a Leader who is likely to bring it to it's knees.  

Corbyn has at least got the country talking about politics and the real issues faced in the UK. He is the news that just keeps giving!  Laughing

When it comes to the next election hopefully people will be a bit more clued up.  Life in the UK with Corbyn as Prime Minister?  God help us Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women Run_fo10

This comment of yours is bang on the money..

..The Labour Party should be licking their wounds and trying to regroup after their humiliating defeat, not appointing a Leader who is likely to bring it to it's knees.

I couldn't believe it when my missus told me he was the new Labour leader.Honestly,I couldn't.

Thousands of people have said that they refused to vote Labour because Milliband didn't look & sound like a Prime Minister & because he had gone too far to the left.So what did they do? They elected someone who looks like some bloke down the allotment & who is a loonie leftie extremist.

How?...Why?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Shady wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

..The Labour Party should be licking their wounds and trying to regroup after their humiliating defeat, not appointing a Leader who is likely to bring it to it's knees.

I couldn't believe it when my missus told me he was the new Labour leader.Honestly,I couldn't.

Thousands of people have said that they refused to vote Labour because Milliband didn't look & sound like a Prime Minister & because he had gone too far to the left.So what did they do? They elected someone who looks like some bloke down the allotment & who is a loonie leftie extremist.

How?...Why?

Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women I_don_11 I have no idea Shady, perhaps you should ask the people who voted him in.  He's a disaster waiting to happen, oh wait, except he already is.

Can you imagine he debating with other world leaders?  I just can't see him being taken seriously No  he's dangerous too, great if everyone surrendered their nuclear weapons but that's never going to happen is it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:28 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Shady wrote:

How?...Why?

Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women I_don_11 I have no idea Shady, perhaps you should ask the people who voted him in.  He's a disaster waiting to happen, oh wait, except he already is.

Can you imagine he debating with other world leaders?  I just can't see him being taken seriously No  he's dangerous too, great if everyone surrendered their nuclear weapons but that's never going to happen is it.

I reckon that you should be Prime Minister & I could be your Number 10 bitch.

You could make me stand in the corner of your office & smack my arse when you were stressed out.

What do you reckon to that? pirat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:38 pm

Shady wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

You could make me stand in the corner of your office & smack my arse when you were stressed out.

Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women Ashame16....and Victor always blames me for always bringing up spanking! Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women Naught11 I hear you have a high pain threshold and are well trained in survival techniques, I like a challenge.  Where is Gerber with that whip???? Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women Giggle20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:44 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Shady wrote:

Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women Ashame16....and Victor always blames me for always bringing up spanking! Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women Naught11 I hear you have a high pain threshold and are well trained in survival techniques, I like a challenge.  Where is Gerber with that whip???? Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women Giggle20

Harman Tells Corbyn "Sort Out" Jobs For Women Jollyr37

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down