NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Courtesy in headline writing

2 posters

Go down

Courtesy in headline writing Empty Courtesy in headline writing

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:31 pm

There's been some discussion of this lately, and I wanted to ask everyone to think of your fellow members when you post a new topic.

For example, we have a headline right now that says "school." That's it. It could be anything school-related, and doesn't help people decide whether they're interested in the post.

Think about what the site would look like if all headlines were written this way. The scroll on the right would look like:

"Bloody Hell"

"It Happened Again"

"Unbelievable"

"Desk"

(Okay, we'd all assume that last one was something Victor made ...)

I don't even mind the headline "non halal and syrian refugees." At least that tells me what I'm in for. Writing a headline is journalism in a nutshell -- the reader's first encounter with the story -- and often the only part of the story that will actually be read.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Courtesy in headline writing Empty Re: Courtesy in headline writing

Post by eddie Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Absolutely. I've bypassed threads before for this very reason!

I'm going to find a story called "Desk" now.....or maybe. Cheesing Fuckballs? lol!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:35 pm

eddie wrote:Absolutely. I've bypassed threads before for this very reason!

I'm going to find a story called "Desk" now.....or maybe. Cheesing Fuckballs? lol!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA I love you
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:44 pm

Okay so there's no news story about desks, they seem to behave themselves mostly and do, well, nothing?

But this is a start
http://www.newsfixboard.com/t11634-desks-what-would-yours-say-about-you
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:55 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:There's been some discussion of this lately, and I wanted to ask everyone to think of your fellow members when you post a new topic.

For example, we have a headline right now that says "school." That's it. It could be anything school-related, and doesn't help people decide whether they're interested in the post.

Think about what the site would look like if all headlines were written this way. The scroll on the right would look like:

"Bloody Hell"

"It Happened Again"

"Unbelievable"

"Desk"

I don't even mind the headline "non halal and syrian refugees." At least that tells me what I'm in for. Writing a headline is journalism in a nutshell -- the reader's first encounter with the story -- and often the only part of the story that will actually be read.

Ben you can make a headline for that thread i posted 'school' i didn't know what to call it as i wasn't sure where the school was it was rather vague i agree but rather than label it wrong i chose school Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:39 pm

Vicar Of Dibley wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:There's been some discussion of this lately, and I wanted to ask everyone to think of your fellow members when you post a new topic.

"Bloody Hell"

"It Happened Again"

"Unbelievable"

"Desk"

Ben you can make a headline for that thread i posted 'school' i didn't know what to call it as i wasn't sure where the school was it was rather vague i agree but rather than label it wrong i chose school Rolling Eyes

That makes sense -- no harm done. I'll try to come up with something.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:45 pm

Use the caption on YouTube? I think that's pretty much what Didge does, for instance, if he posts a video?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down