NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'The Evil Dead' reboot

2 posters

Go down

'The Evil Dead' reboot Empty 'The Evil Dead' reboot

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm

OK, by way of explanation, while I watch a number of TV shows, I don't really "watch TV" in the sense that I don't have cable (I've replaced it with internet TV apps and a digital antenna) ... so I don't know what the popular commercials are and I don't see a lot of stuff advertised. Given my hatred of advertising, it suits me just fine.

So when I was at a friend's house for The Walking Dead the other night, it was the first time I'd seen a commercial for the reboot of 'The Evil Dead.'

Flying in the face of the notion that everything from our youths being resurrected by Hollywood is ruined, Wired seems to be excited about this:

When fans of Evil Dead first heard that a new director would helm a remake, everyone pretty much presumed it would suck. Most reboots do, after all, and it seemed impossible to recreate the magic that made the 1981 flick a cult favorite. Bruce Campbell, the star of the original film who also co-produced the new version, acknowledged the uphill battle for fan approval.

“It was a tough sell,” Campbell told Wired following the premiere. “We knew people were very opinionated, but we didn’t know how opinionated until this [remake] came up, then it was like, ‘Jesus Christ, is it that serious?’ And they’re like, ‘Yes, it is.’” But what they probably didn’t know at the time was that in Alvarez they had a director (and co-writer) who had a secret weapon: a trove of memories of exactly what had freaked him out at 12 years old and, by extension, what any remake had to have. (His answers — and the new movie — include the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis book, and the infamous “rape tree.”)

But let’s be clear: This isn’t your older brother’s (or father’s) Evil Dead. The original film, with its low-budget effects and occasionally flat (OK, bad) acting, became a classic because it embodied the schlocky greatness of horror movies of the early 1980s. 32 years later, Alvarez and his producers Raimi, Campbell and their original producer Robert Tapert have more to work with. What they’ve created isn’t a movie trying to recreate the past, but rather one that envisions what Evil Dead might looked like if Raimi had made it today’s technology (and a bigger budget).

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/03/evil-dead-new-review/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

'The Evil Dead' reboot Empty Re: 'The Evil Dead' reboot

Post by Lurker Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:42 pm

I never saw the original, so I can't make an educated opinion on this. I usually avoid scary movies.
Lurker
Lurker
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Actually, I strongly preferred the two sequels -- Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. The first didn't really have the humor of the next two.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down