NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exercise in Teen Years Tied to Lower Mortality Later

3 posters

Go down

Exercise in Teen Years Tied to Lower Mortality Later Empty Exercise in Teen Years Tied to Lower Mortality Later

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:20 am

Women who exercised when they were teens may have a lower risk of dying from cancer and other causes in middle and older age, according to a new study. In the study, researchers asked 75,000 Chinese women ages 40 to 70 whether they exercised when they were between 13 and 19 years old, and if so, how much they exercised. The researchers also examined the women's general lifestyle habits, including exercise, in adulthood. They then followed the women for almost 13 years, examining how many of them died from cancer, cardiovascular disease and other causes.

During the study, 5,282 of the women died, including 2,375 who died from cancer and 1,620 who died from cardiovascular disease.

http://www.livescience.com/51712-teen-exercise-lower-mortality.html

Back to top Go down

Exercise in Teen Years Tied to Lower Mortality Later Empty Re: Exercise in Teen Years Tied to Lower Mortality Later

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:29 am

I don't know about this. It sounds like scaremongering really. For a start, what about all the women who didn't exercise when they were teenagers? They can't go back and do it now. For those who are teenagers now, it could make them paranoid and extreme about exercising in order to avoid trouble later on.

Also, although there may be a correlation, that doesn't mean a causal relationship. They studied woman between 40 and 70, and then followed them for almost 13 years. Obviously, those who were in their 80s at the end of the 13 years are more likely to die than those who were in their 50s.

Teenage girls should be doing exercise by default anyway - sport at school, walking because they don't have a car, dancing at the discotheque, etc. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Exercise in Teen Years Tied to Lower Mortality Later Empty Re: Exercise in Teen Years Tied to Lower Mortality Later

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:57 am

Raggamuffin wrote:I don't know about this. It sounds like scaremongering really. For a start, what about all the women who didn't exercise when they were teenagers? They can't go back and do it now. For those who are teenagers now, it could make them paranoid and extreme about exercising in order to avoid trouble later on.

Also, although there may be a correlation, that doesn't mean a causal relationship. They studied woman between 40 and 70, and then followed them for almost 13 years. Obviously, those who were in their 80s at the end of the 13 years are more likely to die than those who were in their 50s.

Teenage girls should be doing exercise by default anyway - sport at school, walking because they don't have a car, dancing at the discotheque, etc. Laughing

I agree there will be flawed aspects in this study but it is very interesting of which more research should be done, as I think we need to have more emphasis on sports in schools with physical fitnes. Even more so today, as children are now fixated with Playstaions, computers etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:00 am

Cuchulain wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I don't know about this. It sounds like scaremongering really. For a start, what about all the women who didn't exercise when they were teenagers? They can't go back and do it now. For those who are teenagers now, it could make them paranoid and extreme about exercising in order to avoid trouble later on.

I agree there will be flawed aspects in this study but it is very interesting of which more research should be done, as I think we need to have more emphasis on sports in schools with physical fitnes. Even more so today, as children are now fixated with Playstaions, computers etc.

It's not a new concept really. It's long been said that what you do in your youth may well have lasting effects in the years to come. I just think it's very flawed, and that a causal relationship is not proved at all.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:02 am

In addition to that, many teenagers won't be worried about their health 40 years down the line - most of them think they won't actually age at all. Laughing

There are other good reasons to encourage activity which relate to the present, but saying that if you don't, you might die of an illness in the dim and distant future isn't necessarily one of them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:06 pm

Well it's always a good idea to exercise no matter what, so it's not a bad idea to put out there.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:25 pm

Go into 4 out of 5 houses now and you will see kids glued to mobile phones or their fingers attached to hand sets. I see all ages walking about with mobiles stuck to their earholes, what the hell do they find to talk about all day.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:35 pm

nicko wrote:Go into 4 out of 5 houses now and you will see kids glued to mobile phones or their fingers attached to hand sets.    I see all ages walking about with mobiles stuck to their earholes,   what the hell do they find to talk about all day.

That is a very valid point Nicko, where society is becoming less and less able to socially communicate in person, its done so much through technology. Body language plays a fundemental part within communication. Not only that it is denying many children being active.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down