NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Killer of Cecil the lion was dentist from Minnesota, claim Zimbabwe officials

+8
Lurker
captain
Original Quill
eddie
Raggamuffin
Tommy Monk
veya_victaous
nicko
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Killer of Cecil the lion was dentist from Minnesota, claim Zimbabwe officials  Empty Killer of Cecil the lion was dentist from Minnesota, claim Zimbabwe officials

Post by Guest Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:47 pm

Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force alleges trophy hunter shot one of Africa’s most famous lions near Hwange national park

Conservationists in Zimbabwe have accused an American man of being the alleged killer of Cecil, one of Africa’s most famous lions and the star attraction at the Hwange national park.

On Tuesday, the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force said the man thought to have paid $50,000 (£32,000) for the chance to kill Cecil was not a Spaniard as originally believed, but US citizen Walter Palmer, from a small town near Minneapolis. The man left the lion skinned and headless on the outskirts of the park, the ZCTF’s Johnny Rodrigues said in a statement.

The hunt took place around 6 July. “They went hunting at night with a spotlight and they spotted Cecil,” Rodrigues said. “They tied a dead animal to their vehicle to lure Cecil out of the park and they scented an area about half a kilometre from the park.”

Killer of Cecil the lion was dentist from Minnesota, claim Zimbabwe officials  620

The hunter first shot at Cecil with a bow and arrow but failed to kill the lion. “They tracked him down and found him 40 hours later when they shot him with a gun,” Rodrigues said.

A spokesman for Palmer told the Guardian that the hunter was “obviously quite upset over everything”.

“As far as I understand, Walter believes that he might have shot that lion that has been referred to as Cecil,” the spokesman said. “What he’ll tell you is that he had the proper legal permits and he had hired several professional guides, so he’s not denying that he may be the person who shot this lion. He is a big-game hunter; he hunts the world over.”

On Tuesday, Palmer - a dentist and married father of two - became a target as the Facebook page of his dental clinic was flooded with angry comments and threats. An online petition demanding justice for Cecil had gathered more than 12,000 signatures.

Palmer’s love of hunting is well-documented online. In 2009, he was interviewed by the New York Times about his slaying of an elk that was touted as a kill for the archery record books.

Noting that Palmer had learned to shoot at age five and was “capable of skewering a playing card from 100 yards with his compound bow,” the article said Palmer had paid $45,000 at auction to take part in the hunt, with the proceeds being used to help fund the elk habitat. As the hunting season began, Palmer was on probation for lying to authorities over the exact location where he had killed a black bear in northern Wisconsin in 2006.

A 2008 Flickr photo album by Trophy Hunt America and Porcupine Creek Outfitters, a company that leads hunting expeditions, shows Walter Palmer posing next to a variety of slain animals, including a wood bison and a lion. In another online photo Palmer and his bow and arrow sit next to a slain rhino, the caption stating that the photo was taken in South Africa.

The same company advertises trips to Africa, under the name Safari Connection. Photographs to advertise the company’s services show hunters posed next to elephants. Other expeditions show hunters posed next to polar bears amid snowy backdrops.

Two people who accompanied the hunter on his Zimbabwe trip were identified by authorities and arrested earlier this month, including Theo Bronkhorst, the founder of Bushman Safaris Zimbabwe which is believed to have organised the hunt. Both are facing poaching charges and due to appear in court in early August.

Zimbabwe National Parks confirmed the charges. “In this case, both the professional hunter and land owner had no permit or quota to justify the offtake of the lion and therefore are liable for the illegal hunt,” it said in a statement. Bronkhorst’s hunting license has been suspended and efforts were being made to interview another employee of Bushman Safaris who was believed to have also taken part in the hunt.

The 13-year-old lion was wearing a GPS collar as part of an Oxford University research project that had been running since 1999, making it possible to trace his last movements. Rodrigues said the hunters tried to destroy the collar, but failed.

Killer of Cecil the lion was dentist from Minnesota, claim Zimbabwe officials  1600
Walt Palmer and a Nevada California Bighorn.

The death of Cecil comes as Zimbabwe, like many countries in Africa, attempts to crack down on illegal hunting and poaching, said Rodrigues. “This has been going on too long. Cecil is the 23 or 24th lion that has been collared and then killed in Hwange. We have to try and stop it.”

Initially his organisation had said the whereabouts of Cecil’s head was unknown, sparking concerns that it would be sent abroad as a trophy. The fear brought conservationists and politicians together this week to call on the European Union to ban the import of lion heads, paws and skins as hunters’ trophies from African countries that cannot prove their lion populations are sustainable.

On Tuesday, Rodrigues said the head of the lion had been located in Zimbabwe and had been impounded to be used as evidence in the investigation.

The ZCTF said on Tuesday that it continued to mourn Cecil. Rodrigues pointed out that the hunter was believed to have paid just $50,000 to kill a creature that would have brought millions of dollars worth of tourism to the reserve.

Conservation authorities said they were also dealing with the likely consequences of Cecil’s death for his six cubs. “The saddest part of all is that now that Cecil is dead, the next lion in the hierarchy, Jericho, will most likely kill all Cecil’s cubs so that he can insert his own bloodline into the females.”

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/28/killer-of-cecil-the-lion-was-american-zimbabwe-officials-claim

Bastard shot him with a crossbow and the poor thing had it in him for nearly 2 days.  I'd hold Mr Dentist down and use his bloody drill on him without anaesthetic.   His dick must be the size of a pinhead.

Now he is being hunted by the authorities, I hope they track him down and throw his sorry arse in jail.

Back to top Go down

Killer of Cecil the lion was dentist from Minnesota, claim Zimbabwe officials  Empty Re: Killer of Cecil the lion was dentist from Minnesota, claim Zimbabwe officials

Post by nicko Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:17 pm

I would put an arrow up his arse, that lion was in agony for 40 hours . That "man"

is a cruel and unfeeling piece of shit!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Killer of Cecil the lion was dentist from Minnesota, claim Zimbabwe officials  Empty Re: Killer of Cecil the lion was dentist from Minnesota, claim Zimbabwe officials

Post by Guest Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:54 pm

That man is one sad bastard. I hope his dick drops off

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:56 pm

And an animal eats it!

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:30 am

I say just put him down we need to euthanize all trophy hunters they are no different than vicious dogs something is broken in the brain they are unfit for continued existence in society or on the planet.

hunting for food or resources and hunting for fun are very different things
It needs to be made clear hunting for fun is not acceptable it is not OK, it is murder for fun. the very idea that is could be acceptable is unacceptable.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:42 pm

What a complete cnut, shame on him and hope gets seriously prosecuted for this.

Also shows how other cnuts are out there enabling this...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:44 pm

I was trying to avoid this story, but it's headline news in a paper I caught sight of today.

What a rotten bastard. I hope that smug grin gets wiped right off his face, and he loses loads of business. I'd say the same thing even if the lion wasn't famous.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:48 pm

This is one case where I think that public naming and shaming is a very good thing.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:50 pm

It is bad enough rags if out in the wilderness of Africa but this was a protected animal in a national park/preservation area!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:21 pm

I darent say what I'd do to him

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:33 pm

victorismyhero wrote:I darent say what I'd do to him

Feel free, I don't think anyone feels any different.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:06 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_LzXpE1mjqA
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:32 am

Killer of Cecil the lion was dentist from Minnesota, claim Zimbabwe officials  HWxMxcX
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:42 pm

I don't always like what Piers Morgan has to say, but he certainly didn't pull his punches when it came to Walter Palmer. cheers

Dr Palmer makes me puke.

He’s just a smirking, vile, callous assassin with no heart, whose shameless boasting of his disgusting exploits is almost as repellent as the exploits themselves.

What he does isn’t ‘hunting’. It’s not a fair fight.

It’s a rich, well-armed man paying a fortune to hire a team of people to lure unsuspecting animals to their certain death. Then ripping them to pieces so their heads and horns can be retained as sickening trophies.

If convicted, Dr Palmer now faces a prison sentence, but captivity seems way too good for him.

Instead, I’d like to introduce a new sport – Big Human Hunting.

I will sell tickets for $50,000 to anyone who wants to come with me and track down fat, greedy, selfish, murderous businessmen like Dr Palmer in their natural habit.

And that's just a small portion of it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3177611/PIERS-MORGAN-d-love-hunting-one-day-Dr-Walter-Palmer-killer-dentist-stuff-mount-office.html

I wonder what his patients think about it all. Do they think about the money they paid him to give them a dazzling smile, which he then used to go and torture and kill beautiful animals?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:23 pm

He should be dropped off in the wild somewhere in Africa all on his own with only the clothes on his back and let him feel what it is like being the prey of other animals.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:26 pm

He's only sorry that he broke the law and might get prosecuted for it, and that his patients have been "inconvenienced". If he hadn't killed Cecil, he would have killed another animal for fun. What sort of moron is proud of doing that sort of thing?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:He should be dropped off in the wild somewhere in Africa all on his own with only the clothes on his back and let him feel what it is like being the prey of other animals.

have a "like" Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:44 pm

What a stupid ignoramus this guy is.
He will probably lose business over this as well as his patient's respect.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:48 pm

Some people have said that it's only caused outrage because Cecil was popular and/or famous. The point is that this man's activities were not known about by the world until he attacked Cecil.

I hope this leads to a mass disapproval of trophy hunting generally.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:54 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Some people have said that it's only caused outrage because Cecil was popular and/or famous. The point is that this man's activities were not known about by the world until he attacked Cecil.

I hope this leads to a mass disapproval of trophy hunting generally.
agreed...

trophy hunting has no place in decent society....

and anyway

I dont mind shooting and eating fiver hazel bigwig and silver
or even
rudolph, donner, blitzen, prancer dasher etc
or even bambi

but SIMBA.....noooooooooooooooo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:22 pm

This giraffe was sooooo dangerous, bitch

Killer of Cecil the lion was dentist from Minnesota, claim Zimbabwe officials  _82333841_huntergiraffe1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:26 pm

and...what is it with they yanks and BOWS???

hardly humane. FFS they are banned here for even small game.

bloody wankers....

If you MUST kill a BIG animal....Use a BIG gun...properly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:26 pm

They utterly disgust me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:32 pm

sassy wrote:They utterly disgust me.

Me too. I'm trying not to wish a lot of bad things on this man, but it's tough ...
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:35 pm

Don't bother trying, just wish it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:08 am

removed as the moon passed its zenith

so mote it be

Last edited by victorismyhero on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:10 am

That will be repeated by me tonight!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:15 am

The outpouring of anger towards this man is extraordinary really. I'm all for it myself, but I didn't know so many people hated this kind of thing as much as I do.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:22 am

ragga ...I hunt as you know, and you know why I hunt
you should also have understood that indeed I do so with care and respect

You also know I'm a druid shaman

and as such have certain beliefs as regards the spiritual nature of animals and the proper respect therfor for the spirit of those I hunt.

Natures spirit has no problems with sustainable and humane hunting...it never has, it is part of natures bounty

but what this "thing" that calls itself walter palmer has done is an outrage to that spirituality, let alone the sensibilities of those who dont even beleive as I do...

are you really SO surprised that I should hate this kind of thing??

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:23 am

victorismyhero wrote:ragga ...I hunt as you know, and you know why I hunt

and as such have certain beliefs as regards the spiritual nature of animals and the proper respect therfor for the spirit of those I hunt.

Natures spirit has no problems with sustainable and humane hunting...it never has, it is part of natures bounty

but what this "thing" that calls itself walter palmer has done is an outrage to that spirituality, let alone the sensibilities of those who dont even beleive as I do...

I don't mean you in particular, I mean people all over the internet. The anger is just awesome. I find that a lot of people are generally a bit half-hearted about hunting for sport.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:26 am

sassy wrote:That will be repeated by me tonight!

incomming PM Sassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:34 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:ragga ...I hunt as you know, and you know why I hunt

I don't mean you in particular, I mean people all over the internet. The anger is just awesome. I find that a lot of people are generally a bit half-hearted about hunting for sport.

thing is ragga, this goes even beyond "sport" doesnt it

I mean with all respect I also enjoy my hunting, being out in the country side, the excercise of the skills needed and of course a nice meal from it usually. and in the case of some pests the satifaction of knowing that the balance of nature is just a little bit better for my efforts and the song birds stand half a chance this year.

so I guess that could make it "sport"

BUT killing that lion....having baited it OUT of the reserve? with a bow ...and taking 40 hrs to dispatch it?

as ben would say thats not just wrong...its fractally wrong...inevitably in the circles i move in there are one or two that I would describe as a bit blood thirsty (from a personal point of view) and even THEY are condemning this as wrong.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:36 am

victorismyhero wrote:
sassy wrote:That will be repeated by me tonight!

incomming PM Sassy

Not got it Victor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:36 am

victorismyhero wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I mean with all respect I also enjoy my hunting, being out in the country side, the excercise of the skills needed and of course a nice meal from it usually. and in the case of some pests the satifaction of knowing that the balance of nature is just a little bit better for my efforts and the song birds stand half a chance this year.

BUT killing that lion....having baited it OUT of the reserve?   with a bow ...and taking 40 hrs to dispatch it?

as ben would say thats not just wrong...its fractally wrong...inevitably in the circles i move in there are one or two that I would  describe as a bit blood thirsty (from a personal point of view)  and even THEY are condemning this as wrong.....

It's how I feel about fox hunting, stag hunting, and hare coursing too though. It's not just the abuse of the animal, it's the gloating and the pleasure people get from it. It's basically the same thing, but I've never seen such anger about those things.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:38 am

sassy wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:

incomming PM Sassy

Not got it Victor

re sent

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:38 am

It's why I was pleased when Otis Ferry was banged up for several months. I can't stand him and his liking for animal abuse either.

Last edited by Raggamuffin on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:39 am

victorismyhero wrote:
sassy wrote:

Not got it Victor

re sent

Got it x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:45 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:

BUT killing that lion....having baited it OUT of the reserve?   with a bow ...and taking 40 hrs to dispatch it?

as ben would say thats not just wrong...its fractally wrong...inevitably in the circles i move in there are one or two that I would  describe as a bit blood thirsty (from a personal point of view)  and even THEY are condemning this as wrong.....

It's how I feel about fox hunting, stag hunting, and hare coursing too though. It's not just the abuse of the animal, it's the gloating and the pleasure people get from it. It's basically the same thing, but I've never seen such anger about those things.

two main reasons I suspect

One such things are "tradition" and thus a lot of people tend to shrug their shoulders at it
Two the antics of the "antis" over the years has done them no favours with a huge number of people...to the extent that NOW in many cases folks have the attitude of "oh , its them anti hunt nutters again" >>>>>ignore mode

without wanting to get into a fight about things, and recognising that the wrongs are not all one way, I would suggest that if they had used a bit more brain power and a little less iron bars on hunt masters they might well have been far more effective....

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:45 am

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/the-white-house-opens-investigation-into-cecils-death-after-petition-exceeds-100000-signatures/story-fnjwkt0b-1227464222322

The petition, which urges Secretary of State John Kerry and Attorney General Loretta Lynch to extradite Dr Palmer to Zimbabwe to “face justice” for illegally killing the country’s “national icon” attracted more than 100,000 signatures — in one day.

At the time of this article, the number had reached more than 144,000 signatures.

According to White House policy, any petition that exceeds 100,000 signatures within 30 days requires a response from the government.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:47 am

victorismyhero wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

One such things are "tradition" and thus a lot of people tend to shrug their shoulders at it
Two the antics of the "antis" over the years has done them no favours with a huge number of people...to the extent that NOW in many cases folks have the attitude of "oh , its them anti hunt nutters again" >>>>>ignore mode

without wanting to get into a fight about things, and recognising that the wrongs are not all one way, I would suggest that if they had used a bit more brain power and a little less iron bars on hunt masters they might well have been far more effective....

Well a lot of people seem to want to use an iron bar or other things on Walter Palmer, and I don't see anyone being outraged about that.

The hunters have also been violent towards anti-hunt protesters.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:51 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:

Well a lot of people seem to want to use an iron bar or other things on Walter Palmer, and I don't see anyone being outraged about that.

ah well thats "justice"

agreed...I did say I agreed there have been wrongs on both sides

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:05 am

sassy wrote:This giraffe was sooooo dangerous, bitch

Killer of Cecil the lion was dentist from Minnesota, claim Zimbabwe officials  _82333841_huntergiraffe1

What the fuck is that?! Its a fucking giraffe!
Jesus Christ
there is a place in Arica where you can feed them, they will come and take leaves out of your hand
Hardly a rampaging threat.
What is wrong with these people? Wonder who she is?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:18 am

Am I dreaming or were we on a forum where some bloke posted loads of pics of his daughter and the animals she had killed??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:27 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
victorismyhero wrote:

personally lure him from his home then i would let him loose and see how he likes being hunted for 40 hours with a arrow in him see how he likes it
i would draw the line at skinning him and mounting his head however

is that bad yea ...............................................probably

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:29 am

Nems wrote:Am I dreaming or were we on a forum where some bloke posted loads of pics of his daughter and the animals she had killed??

I believe it was ADO and the bloke was a Texan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:39 am

This causes problems for me sometimes. How should I react if a person I know tells me that they go hunting for sport, or used to?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:45 am

Say what you actually think, makes life so much easier.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:47 am

sassy wrote:Say what you actually think, makes life so much easier.

Yes, but if I like them in all other ways, it's difficult. It would actually put me off them tbh, so maybe I would just disassociate myself from them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:51 am

Walter is probably sitting there in hiding asking why he's getting so much flak for this when others do it too. Well that's because he's become a symbol, along with Cecil. He's the fall-guy to an extent, and he deserves to be.

I would say to all the others who indulge in this kind of thing - you have been warned that many people do not approve, and if you continue, and if you sit there posing and smiling with an animal you killed, with your teeth gleaming in the sun, you will be judged. No amount of excuses about it being legal will make a difference.

If they insist on continuing, they should think twice before boasting and gloating about it on the internet.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:43 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Walter is probably sitting there in hiding asking why he's getting so much flak for this when others do it too. Well that's because he's become a symbol, along with Cecil. He's the fall-guy to an extent, and he deserves to be.

I would say to all the others who indulge in this kind of thing - you have been warned that many people do not approve, and if you continue, and if you sit there posing and smiling with an animal you killed, with your teeth gleaming in the sun, you will be judged. No amount of excuses about it being legal will make a difference.

If they insist on continuing, they should think twice before boasting and gloating about it on the internet.

+100000000000000

are they your own words? Killer of Cecil the lion was dentist from Minnesota, claim Zimbabwe officials  2984306523
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next