NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuclear Land Mines – you’ve heard about these, right?!!

2 posters

Go down

Nuclear Land Mines – you’ve heard about these, right?!! Empty Nuclear Land Mines – you’ve heard about these, right?!!

Post by Guest Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:31 pm

Britain had secret plans at the height of the cold war to bury nuclear landmines in parts of Germany to thwart a Soviet attack, it emerged yesterday. The 10 proposed devices would have had the combined explosive power of more than five Nagasaki A-bombs, resulting in craters more than 180 metres (600ft) deep and would have spread radioactive contamination across vast areas of the countryside if detonated.
The weapons, codenamed Blue Peacock, were to be left buried or submerged and detonated by a wire from up to three miles away or by an eight-day clockwork timer. They were also to be fitted with anti-handling devices which meant that if gunfire pierced the hull or the weapon was moved or filled with water, it would detonate in 10 seconds. David Hawkings, a former employee of the Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE) at Aldermaston, Berkshire, found details of the project in unclassified Army documents from the 1950s released by the National Archives at Kew.
Writing in the establishment’s magazine, Discovery, Mr Hawkings said War Office specifications for a nuclear landmine first surfaced late in 1954.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/nuclear-land-mines-youve-heard-about-these-right.html

affraid

Back to top Go down

Nuclear Land Mines – you’ve heard about these, right?!! Empty Re: Nuclear Land Mines – you’ve heard about these, right?!!

Post by Irn Bru Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:49 am

Old news Didge. Knew about this over 10 years ago Was done at Fort Halstead and they even did a trial at burying mock ups of the bomb around Sevenoaks in Kent.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Nuclear Land Mines – you’ve heard about these, right?!! Empty Re: Nuclear Land Mines – you’ve heard about these, right?!!

Post by Guest Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:29 am

Irn Bru wrote:Old news Didge. Knew about this over 10 years ago Was done at Fort Halstead and they even did a trial at burying mock ups of the bomb around Sevenoaks in Kent.

I am sorry Irn, I did not realise you were the only poster here and that others might be interested.
Sorry Next time I will check with all posters to see if they are aware of this before posting.
My apologies

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:53 am

First i'v heard about, and I doubt most others have either.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:32 pm

Cuchulain wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:Old news Didge. Knew about this over 10 years ago Was done at Fort Halstead and they even did a trial at burying mock ups of the bomb around Sevenoaks in Kent.

I am sorry Irn, I did not realise you were the only poster here and that others might be interested.
Sorry Next time I will check with all posters to see if they are aware of this before posting.
My apologies

But that's what you were doing when you put out this thread. All I was doing was answering by saying that I knew about this ages ago whilst adding a little bit of knowledge.

What's your problem with that?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down