NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How music training alters the teenage brain

Go down

How music training alters the teenage brain Empty How music training alters the teenage brain

Post by Guest Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:47 am

Music training, begun as late as high school, may help improve the teenage brain's responses to sound and sharpen hearing and language skills, suggests a new Northwestern University study. The research, to be published the week of July 20 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), indicates that music instruction helps enhance skills that are critical for academic success. The gains were seen during group music classes included in the schools' curriculum, suggesting in-school training accelerates neurodevelopment.
"While music programs are often the first to be cut when the school budget is tight, these results highlight music's place in the high school curriculum," said Nina Kraus, senior study author and director of Northwestern's Auditory Neuroscience Laboratory at the School of Communication. "Although learning to play music does not teach skills that seem directly relevant to most careers, the results suggest that music may engender what educators refer to as 'learning to learn,'" Kraus added.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150720154214.htm

I think there is a lot of validity to these findings myself in my opinion.

Back to top Go down