NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uploading human brain for eternal life is possible – Cambridge neuroscientist

2 posters

Go down

Uploading human brain for eternal life is possible – Cambridge neuroscientist Empty Uploading human brain for eternal life is possible – Cambridge neuroscientist

Post by Guest Wed May 27, 2015 11:25 am

People could “live inside a machine” by turning their brain into a program code once a computer capable of recreating some 100 trillion connections is built, a popular Cambridge neuroscientist said at a UK mass event this weekend.
“People could probably live inside a machine. Potentially, I think it is definitely a possibility,” Dr Hannah Critchlow of the Cambridge Neuroscience said at the popular Hay Festival in Wales, as quoted by The Telegraph.
Although the human brain is enormously complex, scientists are beginning to better understand its separate parts’ functions, Critchlow said, describing the brain as a complex circuit board. The scientist claimed it “would be possible” to recreate it as a computer program: “If you had a computer that could make those 100 trillion circuit connections – then that circuit is what makes us us.”

http://rt.com/news/261909-brain-upload-computer-program/

Back to top Go down

Uploading human brain for eternal life is possible – Cambridge neuroscientist Empty Re: Uploading human brain for eternal life is possible – Cambridge neuroscientist

Post by Guest Wed May 27, 2015 1:25 pm

someone has been watching the movie Chappie...lol

Back to top Go down

Uploading human brain for eternal life is possible – Cambridge neuroscientist Empty Re: Uploading human brain for eternal life is possible – Cambridge neuroscientist

Post by Guest Wed May 27, 2015 2:19 pm

Belatucadros wrote:People could “live inside a machine” by turning their brain into a program code once a computer capable of recreating some 100 trillion connections is built, a popular Cambridge neuroscientist said at a UK mass event this weekend.
“People could probably live inside a machine. Potentially, I think it is definitely a possibility,” Dr Hannah Critchlow of the Cambridge Neuroscience said at the popular Hay Festival in Wales, as quoted by The Telegraph.
Although the human brain is enormously complex, scientists are beginning to better understand its separate parts’ functions, Critchlow said, describing the brain as a complex circuit board. The scientist claimed it “would be possible” to recreate it as a computer program: “If you had a computer that could make those 100 trillion circuit connections – then that circuit is what makes us us.”

http://rt.com/news/261909-brain-upload-computer-program/
i would say that you could copy the information but the copy is not the actual person so you could not "live" inside the machine the machine would be a separate entity Stargate did a episode called "tin man" that broached the same subject

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu May 28, 2015 4:04 am

would it be or would it be a separate instance of the same object?

probably wouldn't be the 'same' but the synthetic could be every bit equal to the organic, run both in parallel for a bit..... turn the organic off
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 28, 2015 4:57 am

veya_victaous wrote:would it be or would it be a separate instance of the same object?

probably wouldn't be the 'same' but the synthetic could be every bit equal to the organic, run both in parallel for a bit..... turn the organic off

That was what I was saying in that thread where everyone said I was crazy Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu May 28, 2015 5:12 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:would it be or would it be a separate instance of the same object?

you should have been a systems designer Wink

to me this system (we call 'selves') contains two main elements
the CPU/RAM circuitry(active thoughts) and the HDD storage(memories) .

if you could replicate the CPU/RAM to be near identical in function to the human brain (not yet) and had a HDD(storage) you could put the memories in a location the CPU can access them.
each instance while technically separate is the same and you could keep them sync'd to the point when the organic naturally tuns off (dies) at which point the synthetic just takes over as the sole instance, a few moments before the death of the Organic.

Death just becomes cybernetic reincarnation cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu May 28, 2015 10:45 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

you should have been a systems designer Wink

to me this system (we call 'selves') contains two main elements
the CPU/RAM circuitry(active thoughts) and the HDD storage(memories) .

if you could replicate the CPU/RAM to be near identical in function to the human brain (not yet) and had a HDD(storage) you could put the memories in a location the CPU can access them.
each instance while technically separate is the same and you could keep them sync'd to the point when the organic naturally tuns off (dies) at which point the synthetic just takes over as the sole instance, a few moments before the death of the Organic.

Death just becomes cybernetic reincarnation cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Damn, man! -- http://www.newsfixboard.com/t8844-i-had-a-bogus-breakthrough

I do think you'd change as a personality quite a bit once you were freed from having to eat, breathe, etc. -- but the kernel would still be you Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 28, 2015 12:45 pm

saying something is possible if is more than a little sad, it is also kinda safe as no one can prove otherswise unless the if is made or possible..

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu May 28, 2015 11:11 pm

well considering that If is the probable progression of technology maybe it would be better to say WHEN.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Think the idea is utterly horrifying myself

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 29, 2015 1:14 am

sounds like fun....until some bastard waves a huge magnet at your hard drive...

ooer missus......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 29, 2015 1:15 am

and instead of flu you get stuxnet

and rust

and short circuits

and mice eating your insulation

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri May 29, 2015 1:17 am

darknessss wrote:sounds like fun....until some bastard waves a huge magnet at your hard drive...

ooer missus......

I'll take that chance.... I mean really still much safer than this mushy stuff in a bone box Wink
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 29, 2015 1:18 am

the squisheys will still get you....

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri May 29, 2015 1:28 am

cloud computing solves the squishes

it will get one of my instances but I will still exist on in the other instances (just make sure you have one in a very safe spot)

imagine having multiple bodies at once Cool Cool Cool

I agree with Ben I think personality would change because you limits are gone
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 29, 2015 1:32 am

then along comes the NSA and deletes your servers

I tell you...the squisheys will get you.......

mind you it would make playing WoW much more fun than it already is.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 29, 2015 1:40 am

veya_victaous wrote:cloud computing solves the squishes

it will get one of my instances but I will still exist on in the other instances (just make sure you have one in a very safe spot)

imagine having multiple bodies at once Cool Cool Cool

I agree with Ben I think personality would change because you limits are gone
do you watch "person of interest" in particular the last episode ??

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri May 29, 2015 2:09 am

@KD
no never heard of it
is it good
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 29, 2015 2:28 am

veya_victaous wrote:@KD
no never heard of it
is it good
Oh yes

person of interest

Person of Interest is an American science-fiction crime drama television series created by Jonathan Nolan that premiered on September 22, 2011, on CBS.[2] It is executive produced by Nolan, alongside J. J. Abrams, Bryan Burk, and Greg Plageman. The series completed airing its fourth season on May 5, 2015, and has been renewed for a fifth season to debut mid-season during the 2015–16 television season.[3][4]

It stars Jim Caviezel as John Reese, a presumed dead former CIA agent who is approached by a mysterious billionaire named Harold Finch (Michael Emerson) to prevent violent crimes before they happen by using an advanced surveillance system dubbed "The Machine". Their unique brand of vigilante justice attracts the attention of two NYPD officers, Joss Carter (Taraji P. Henson) and Lionel Fusco (Kevin Chapman), whom Reese uses to his advantage as he investigates persons of interest. Reese and Finch are later aided by Samantha "Root" Groves (Amy Acker), a highly intelligent computer hacker and contract killer who the Machine later identifies as its "analog interface" and Sameen Shaw (Sarah Shahi), a former ISA assassin who unknowingly dealt with the "relevant" numbers found by the Machine. From season 3, the series sees the advent of a new rival AI called "Samaritan" which is brought into existence by Decima Technologies. Much of season 4 is centered around the struggle between the two competing AIs and their human agents.

The series has received generally positive reception from critics, including an increase in acclaim when the series introduced more serialized storylines and its exploration of artificial intelligence.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down