NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the Forgotten Aboriginal ANZACS

2 posters

Go down

the Forgotten Aboriginal ANZACS Empty the Forgotten Aboriginal ANZACS

Post by veya_victaous Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:04 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4I6w35pxq3A

Sydney street artist Hego has created a striking mural series featuring the images of Indigenous Anzac soldiers of World War I.

Not just perpetuating the cult of the Anzac legend, but more their unique personal experiences, volunteering to fight for a country that was so blatantly racist and discriminatory to their population,” Hego told BuzzFeed News.

“I’ve come across stories of many Aboriginals being let off in Sydney and having to pay their own way back to their hometown. A soldier, George Karpany, was recommended for a Victoria Cross for bravery by his Australian officer, only to be knocked back by the British higher ups because he was Aboriginal. I came across the story of another soldier called Arthur Walker, whose family has since called one male from each subsequent generation ‘Anzac’ to honour his contribution fighting for Australia while not being allowed to have a beer with his mates on Anzac Day because of the colour of his skin.

“These are just some of the stories from the handful of soldiers I’ve recognised in the mural. My goal with my murals is to start a conversation amongst Australians about how we choose to recognise Aboriginal Australian experiences, not only in WWI but across all of modern Australia’s history.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguillaume/black-anzac-street-art#.fan8QAxnE
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

the Forgotten Aboriginal ANZACS Empty Re: the Forgotten Aboriginal ANZACS

Post by captain Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:04 am

This was good to see. Smile

It would be so good to see the Aboriginals a lot more respected than they are, but I always was a dreamer. It was shocking for me because I had such different idea of what Australia was all about. How the government has treated these indigenous people is really sick ... Same can be said for the indigenous people in America and Canada. Not good. Sad
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down