NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sex offending is written in DNA of some men, Oxford University finds

Go down

Sex offending is written in DNA of some men, Oxford University finds  Empty Sex offending is written in DNA of some men, Oxford University finds

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:02 am

Sex offending is written in the genes, an unprecedented study has shown, with the brothers of men convicted of sex crimes five times more likely to commit a rape or assault than the general public. The controversial finding suggests that some men are born with an increased risk of molesting children or carrying out a violent sexual attack. Researchers at Oxford University and the Karolinska Institute in Sweden say the fathers and brothers of sex offenders could be offered psychotherapy to teach them relationship skills such as respecting boundaries and curbing aggression as a way of protecting the public.

Around 40 per cent of the risk of committing a sex crime is genetic, the research found, with the remaining 60 per cent down to personal and environmental factors, such as being abused as a child, upbringing, wealth and education. “We are definitely not saying that we have found a gene for sexual offending’ or anything of the kind,” said Professor Seena Fazel, of Oxford University’s Department of Psychiatry. “What we have found is high quality evidence from a large population study that genetic factors have a substantial influence on an increased risk of being convicted of sexual offences.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11522366/Sex-offending-is-written-in-DNA-of-some-men-Oxford-University-finds.html

Is this a viable way forward to help combat what to me is an ever increasing problem of child sex abuse?

Back to top Go down

Sex offending is written in DNA of some men, Oxford University finds  Empty Re: Sex offending is written in DNA of some men, Oxford University finds

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:13 am

Brasidas wrote:Sex offending is written in the genes, an unprecedented study has shown, with the brothers of men convicted of sex crimes five times more likely to commit a rape or assault than the general public. The controversial finding suggests that some men are born with an increased risk of molesting children or carrying out a violent sexual attack. Researchers at Oxford University and the Karolinska Institute in Sweden say the fathers and brothers of sex offenders could be offered psychotherapy to teach them relationship skills such as respecting boundaries and curbing aggression as a way of protecting the public.

Around 40 per cent of the risk of committing a sex crime is genetic, the research found, with the remaining 60 per cent down to personal and environmental factors, such as being abused as a child, upbringing, wealth and education. “We are definitely not saying that we have found a gene for sexual offending’ or anything of the kind,” said Professor Seena Fazel, of Oxford University’s Department of Psychiatry. “What we have found is high quality evidence from a large population study that genetic factors have a substantial influence on an increased risk of being convicted of sexual offences.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11522366/Sex-offending-is-written-in-DNA-of-some-men-Oxford-University-finds.html

Is this a viable way forward to help combat what to me is an ever increasing problem of child sex abuse?

Its an interesting thought Didge but I wonder could it work on Paedophiles? Is there any research into their brains? Im only thinking of the difference between a rapist and a paedophile. A paedophile is attracted to children and see it as normal, so would their brain chemistry show anything? Fascinating stuff

Back to top Go down

Sex offending is written in DNA of some men, Oxford University finds  Empty Re: Sex offending is written in DNA of some men, Oxford University finds

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:22 am

Nems wrote:
Brasidas wrote:Sex offending is written in the genes, an unprecedented study has shown, with the brothers of men convicted of sex crimes five times more likely to commit a rape or assault than the general public. The controversial finding suggests that some men are born with an increased risk of molesting children or carrying out a violent sexual attack. Researchers at Oxford University and the Karolinska Institute in Sweden say the fathers and brothers of sex offenders could be offered psychotherapy to teach them relationship skills such as respecting boundaries and curbing aggression as a way of protecting the public.

Its an interesting thought Didge but I wonder could it work on Paedophiles? Is there any research into their brains? Im only thinking of the difference between a rapist and a paedophile. A paedophile is attracted to children and see it as normal, so would their brain chemistry show anything? Fascinating stuff

Not sure Nems. The concern here though is if people are actually going to come forward. I mean how many really would? That is the next point that would need looking into. I mean here there is at least a correlation between family memebers it some cases, would it then be something that would be mandetory the therapy for other family memebers if one of them is convicted of such a crime? Are we also reliant on then someone to be convicted to know if others pose a risk? So many unanswered questions Nems, which to me needs far more study to help with this major issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:25 am

Brasidas wrote:
Nems wrote:

Not sure Nems. The concern here though is if people are actually going to come forward. I mean how many really would? That is the next point that would need looking into. I mean here there is at least a correlation between family memebers it some cases, would it then be something that would be mandetory for other family memebers if one of them is convicted of such a crime? Are we also reliant on then someone to be convicted to know if others pose a risk? So many unanswered questions Nems, which to me needs far more study to help with this major issue.

good points Didge
Im going to reply later as Im off to work now Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:26 am

Nems wrote:
Brasidas wrote:

Not sure Nems. The concern here though is if people are actually going to come forward. I mean how many really would? That is the next point that would need looking into. I mean here there is at least a correlation between family memebers it some cases, would it then be something that would be mandetory for other family memebers if one of them is convicted of such a crime? Are we also reliant on then someone to be convicted to know if others pose a risk? So many unanswered questions Nems, which to me needs far more study to help with this major issue.

good points Didge
Im going to reply later as Im off to work now Smile

Thanks Nems.
Hope you have a good day.
Catch you later

Back to top Go down