NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Exploding Head Syndrome' is actually fairly common, study finds

5 posters

Go down

'Exploding Head Syndrome' is actually fairly common, study finds Empty 'Exploding Head Syndrome' is actually fairly common, study finds

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:56 pm

I have this happen all the time, particularly when I haven't slept well the night before. It's awful; recently it happened three times in one night as I was trying to fall asleep:

Maybe it's happened to you: You're lying in bed happily drifting off to sleep when suddenly you're jolted awake by a startlingly loud noise that turns out to be just in your head. The experience can be scary, and doctors have given it the alarming-sounding name "exploding head syndrome."

Now the largest study of its kind has found that this bizarre sleep disorder is much more common than previously believed. Researchers from Washington State University say nearly one in five college students -- 18 percent -- has experienced it at least once.

The study, published online in the Journal of Sleep Research, is based on interviews with 211 undergraduates who were questioned about the symptoms. Study author Brian Sharpless, a Washington State University assistant professor and director of the university psychology clinic, says he decided to look into it because the existing research just didn't add up. Exploding head syndrome was considered rare and was believed to happen mostly in middle age.

"I didn't believe the clinical lore that it would only occur in people in their 50s," Sharpless said in a press statement. "That didn't make a lot of biological sense to me." He suspected the disorder was largely overlooked and deserved to be taken more seriously.

Sharpless theorizes that the noise some people hear in their heads stems from a momentary neural hiccup as the brain transitions into sleep mode. He compares it to a computer shutting down, with the brain's motor, auditory and visual neurons turning off in stages. Once in a while, instead of shutting down properly, the auditory neurons fire all at once.

"That's why you get these crazy-loud noises that you can't explain, and they're not actual noises in your environment," he said.

For most people the condition does not cause any lasting harm, although a very small number, about 2 percent, are so startled or confused by it that they suffer what the study calls "clinically significant distress and/or impairment."

"Some people have worked these scary experiences into conspiracy theories and mistakenly believe the episodes are caused by some sort of directed-energy weapon," Sharpless said. "They may think they're going crazy and they don't know that a good chunk of the population has had the exact same thing."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/exploding-head-syndrome-is-real-and-surprisingly-common/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

'Exploding Head Syndrome' is actually fairly common, study finds Empty Re: 'Exploding Head Syndrome' is actually fairly common, study finds

Post by eddie Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:59 pm

Wow! I thought it was just my head that was weird!!!
This happens to me quite a lot. Normally only one in the night though, not multiple times.

Interesting Ben. I've never thought of even looking it up. Just thought I was going mad affraid
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

'Exploding Head Syndrome' is actually fairly common, study finds Empty Re: 'Exploding Head Syndrome' is actually fairly common, study finds

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:01 pm

eddie wrote:Wow! I thought it was just my head that was weird!!!
This happens to me quite a lot. Normally only one in the night though, not multiple times.

Interesting Ben. I've never thought of even looking it up. Just thought I was going mad affraid

It's always a relief, I find, to learn that something you thought was weird is actually as we say in the U.S., "a thing." Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

It's always a relief, I find, to learn that something you thought was weird is actually as we say in the U.S., "a thing." Smile

Unless, of course, our heads are actually in the process of, exploding. Sad
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:11 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

It can feel that way though, I've found it very distressing when it happens. It was quite a relief to learn that it's nothing wrong with you -- that helps me relax Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:12 pm

'Exploding Head Syndrome' is actually fairly common, study finds 3018442852

Hahahahahahaha
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:15 pm

Had that for some years, frightened the life out of me first time it happened.My doc said it's something to do with the electrical connections in the brain "firing off".
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:22 pm

nicko wrote:Had that for some years, frightened the life out of me first time it happened.My doc said it's something to do with the electrical connections in the brain "firing off".

I prefer to think of it as new brain cells popping into life Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by captain Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:11 am

Or maybe it is just the brain, forgetting how to switch over to sleep mode.
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:59 pm

wow glad to see I'm not the only one - I usually accompany mine with a big whole body jerk and I always wake up like WTF was that? it seems so real that I get up and pad round the house looking for evidence that some big crash happened. I once woke Mr. C up (now there's a job and a half) to look for burglars - he was not best pleased to come back and find me zonked out......
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:45 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

It can feel that way though, I've found it very distressing when it happens. It was quite a relief to learn that it's nothing wrong with you -- that helps me relax Smile

We have spoken about this before Ben I was very relieved when you told me you experienced too. I was really frightened when it happened, I thought one of the windows had come in and couldn't understand why the dog was still snoring

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:10 am

Nems wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

We have spoken about this before Ben I was very relieved when you told me you experienced too. I was really frightened when it happened, I thought one of the windows had come in and couldn't understand why the dog was still snoring

it still freaks me out....it happens for no rhyme or reason....no schedule....can go months without one then boom! cant even remember when it first started....
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:23 am

Cass wrote:
Nems wrote:

it still freaks me out....it happens for no rhyme or reason....no schedule....can go months without one then boom! cant even remember when it first started....

I cant, there seems to be no pattern or cause

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down