NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

#MySelfHarmNightmare: Was Channel 4's 'Graphic' Documentary Triggering And Irresponsible?

Go down

#MySelfHarmNightmare: Was Channel 4's 'Graphic' Documentary Triggering And Irresponsible? Empty #MySelfHarmNightmare: Was Channel 4's 'Graphic' Documentary Triggering And Irresponsible?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:58 pm

Channel 4 has been accused of being sensationalist and triggering mental health issues after it broadcast a documentary which showed extreme images of anorexia and self-harm sufferers.
The programme, My Self-Harm Nightmare, was aired on Wednesday evening at 11pm, prompting viewers to criticise the late night slot.
Ofcom confirmed to HuffPost UK it had received four complaints about the show, and is currently assessing whether it will be launching an investigation.
An image of the graphic and shockingly-deep self-harm injuries of one of the participants, 18-year-old Becky, was broadcast. Becky recounts how, after cutting herself particularly badly, she was rushed to hospital and had to have her veins stitched up. The doctors operated on the teenager without anaesthetic - she was losing so much blood there was no time to administer it.
"I have been exposed to a lot of damaging material on the internet and this led to the development of my eating disorder," Becky told documentary makers.
Also included were images of 20-year-old Chrissy's self-harm injuries, and specific tips given by a third participant, teenager Charlotte, on how to cover up the marks.
The show included advice from websites on how to fast, and "devious" tricks from Charlotte, who used to use to con her parents into thinking she had already eaten, as well as pointers on how to induce vomiting.
Channel 4 also showed what former sufferer Chrissy used to look like at the height of her illness, including topless pictures of her frail, skeletal frame.
The programme repeatedly used images of half-naked anorexic females, some covered in bruises, as Becky and Charlotte detailed their drive to become thin.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03/19/my-self-harm-nightmare-channel-4-triggering-_n_6900420.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Did not watch the program myself, so difficult to comment but it does sound like they were irresponsible here.
Did anyone watch this?

Back to top Go down

#MySelfHarmNightmare: Was Channel 4's 'Graphic' Documentary Triggering And Irresponsible? Empty Re: #MySelfHarmNightmare: Was Channel 4's 'Graphic' Documentary Triggering And Irresponsible?

Post by eddie Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:52 pm

I didn't watch it but any "tips" are available online anyway
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down