NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have a sense of purpose in life? It may protect your heart

2 posters

Go down

Have a sense of purpose in life? It may protect your heart Empty Have a sense of purpose in life? It may protect your heart

Post by Guest Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:59 pm

Having a high sense of purpose in life may lower your risk of heart disease and stroke, according to a new study led by researchers at Mount Sinai St. Luke's and Mount Sinai Roosevelt and presented on March 6 at the American Heart Association's EPI/Lifestyle 2015 Scientific Sessions in Baltimore. The new analysis defined purpose in life as a sense of meaning and direction, and a feeling that life is worth living. Previous research has linked purpose to psychological health and well-being, but the new Mount Sinai analysis found that a high sense of purpose is associated with a 23 percent reduction in death from all causes and a 19 percent reduced risk of heart attack, stroke, or the need for coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG) or a cardiac stenting procedure.

"Developing and refining your sense of purpose could protect your heart health and potentially save your life," says lead study author Randy Cohen, MD, a preventive cardiologist at Mount Sinai St. Luke's and Mount Sinai Roosevelt. "Our study shows there is a strong relationship between having a sense of purpose in life and protection from dying or having a cardiovascular event. As part of our overall health, each of us needs to ask ourselves the critical question of 'do I have a sense of purpose in my life?' If not, you need to work toward the important goal of obtaining one for your overall well-being." The research team reviewed 10 relevant studies with the data of more than 137,000 people to analyze the impact of sense of purpose on death rates and risk of cardiovascular events. The meta-analysis also found that those with a low sense of purpose are more likely to die or experience cardiovascular events.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-03/tmsh-has030615.php

Back to top Go down

Have a sense of purpose in life? It may protect your heart Empty Re: Have a sense of purpose in life? It may protect your heart

Post by eddie Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:47 pm

I agree with that; positive thinking works absolute wonders and having a goal makes you feel alive.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Have a sense of purpose in life? It may protect your heart Empty Re: Have a sense of purpose in life? It may protect your heart

Post by Guest Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:48 pm

my purpose in life......

to eleiminate wild rabbits from the uk in accordance with the govt directive on this.....

that should keep me busy......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:54 pm

darknessss wrote:my purpose in life......

to eleiminate wild rabbits from the uk in accordance with the govt directive on this.....

that should keep me busy......

The Fluffy briagade is taking the fight back to you:

Have a sense of purpose in life? It may protect your heart 1364748864

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:55 pm

"it came right at me"...........

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:55 pm

lagomorphic genocide.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:56 pm

eddie wrote:I agree with that; positive thinking works absolute wonders and having a goal makes you feel alive.

Hi Eddie

Positivity is the best tool to combat negativity and why I think we both strongly agree on how beneficial it is helping people.
I think being able to see light at the end of the tunnel or positivity when all seems at its worst is the best tool to helping people.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:21 pm

They say people who retire have, on average, about 7-years to live. Once retired, they have no purpose.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:17 pm

Bollocks Quill lol, I have more sense of purpose now than I ever had when I was working, I retired 9 years ago.  Just about to go into local politics, am selling my paintings and looking forward to the time my grandkids have children so I can see their children grow.  In the meantime, doing all in my power to make a better world for them and my OH so we can enjoy every minute of the time we have.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Original Quill wrote:They say people who retire have, on average, about 7-years to live.  Once retired, they have no purpose.

Every single day has a purpose Quill.
So I really do not agree with poiint they have no purpose, in fact many enjoy active sex lives and fair play to them, let alone how many contionue to florish in their enjoyments in life. It can be difficult granted, but there is no reason to claim they do not have purpose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down