NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recipes for chicken

+2
eddie
Irn Bru
6 posters

Go down

Recipes for chicken  Empty Recipes for chicken

Post by eddie Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:45 pm

Find chicken a very boring meat yet it's a very cheap and nutritional meat.

I've got some nice recipes I'll share but let's have some of yours first!! cheers
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Recipes for chicken  Empty Re: Recipes for chicken

Post by Guest Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:37 pm

Really quick chicken curry, a bit fusion and cheating!

Diced chicken breast, toss in a little oil in pan to seal, spoon out.  Into oil put sliced onion (I love the indian pink ones) and 2 - 3 crushed garlic cloves crushed and chopped, when soft add curry paste, depending on how strong you like it, like mine hot so add fresh chilli as well, stir into the onions, then add lemon juice (about half lemon), carton of coconut cream (not milk), tablespoon of mango chutney and jelly chicken stock (for speed I use one of the knorr stock pots)  Put the chicken back in and simmer gentley for about 10 minutes.  Taste before adding salt as the stock gell is quite salty.  If you prefer you can thicken it with cornflour.

Malay curries normally have fruit in, so the mango chutney substitutes for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:17 am

Health scare as 75% of supermarket chickens contaminated with killer bacteria campylobacter

Millions of families are at risk of food poisoning after an investigation revealed three quarters of supermarket chickens are contaminated with a potentially lethal bug.

The scandal, uncovered by watchdog the Food Standards Agency (FSA), also found one in five fresh birds has the highest level of killer bacteria campylobacter.

It puts the traditional Sunday roast at the heart of the crisis and will send shockwaves through every household in Britain.

A year long probe by the FSA tested 3,000 whole, fresh chickens from major grocery chains, discounters and local butchers shops.

And it revealed the number of “dirty” chickens found to carry the bug has rocketed from 59% last August to 73% in the latest FSA study.

Supermarket giant Asda topped the league of shame with almost eight out of 10 fresh chickens harbouring the bug.

And FSA tests found one in three of the chain’s whole chickens had the highest levels of contamination.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/health-scare-75-supermarket-chickens-5237784

Hmmm....
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:08 am

risingsun wrote:Really quick chicken curry, a bit fusion and cheating!

Diced chicken breast, toss in a little oil in pan to seal, spoon out.  Into oil put sliced onion (I love the indian pink ones) and 2 - 3 crushed garlic cloves crushed and chopped, when soft add curry paste, depending on how strong you like it, like mine hot so add fresh chilli as well, stir into the onions, then add lemon juice (about half lemon), carton of coconut cream (not milk), tablespoon of mango chutney and jelly chicken stock (for speed I use one of the knorr stock pots)  Put the chicken back in and simmer gentley for about 10 minutes.  Taste before adding salt as the stock gell is quite salty.  If you prefer you can thicken it with cornflour.

Malay curries normally have fruit in, so the mango chutney substitutes for that.

That sounds nice but it's not got enough stuff in for me. Could I add some mushrooms and courgette or peas or something?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:08 am

Well thanks for that Irn! I'm not great with chicken anyway and that's just put me off lol
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:13 am

Ugh ... I love chicken. It's a Southern U.S. thing ... something usually used to taunt black people, as though they're the only ones down here who like it. I'll tell you this -- the only people I've seen raising chickens in their back yards ... of this six-million-population urban area I live in ... are Mexicans and Irish.

We Irish Americans are notorious for bringing farm animals into urban areas -- just ask anybody from Chicago Smile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_O%27Leary#Chicago_fire
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:25 am

eddie wrote:

That sounds nice but it's not got  enough stuff in for me. Could I add some mushrooms and courgette or peas or something?

I wouldn't Eddie, because it would change the balance of flavours. However, I would serve it with side dishes of differently spice veg.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:49 pm

risingsun wrote:
eddie wrote:

That sounds nice but it's not got  enough stuff in for me. Could I add some mushrooms and courgette or peas or something?

I wouldn't Eddie, because it would change the balance of flavours.  However, I would serve it with side dishes of differently spice veg.

Thats a point.
Trouble is, I wouldn't know what different spices to use?
Got to admit, asian cooking isn't my forte which is why I keep on at my Indian friend to teach me cooking! Trouble is she's preggers at the mo and finds curry nauseating Hahahahaha
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:01 pm

Chicken Tagine

Depending on how many you're cooking for obviously, but this is based on three adults:

Four or five chicken breasts cubed
Half a choriza sausage cut up
Half tin chick peas
seven or
Red pepper cut up
Flaked almonds
Dried Apricots cut up
Raisins
Grated ginger (about two tablespoons)
Big dollop or two of runny honey
Good quality tinned tomatoes

To the tinned tomatoes add Spices, one teaspoon of each or soemtines I'll,add more if required:
Cayenne
Smoked Paprika
Turmeric (essential)
Ground coriander (essential)
Smatter  of Ground ginger (optional)

Fry chicken breasts to brown them,  get your tagine and chuck it all in and pour spiced tomatoes over the top
Cook on low for about 1 hour 45 mins to 2 hours

Serve in a bowl
I have mine with brown mushroom rice if it's a main meal or steamed veg if it's a lunch or light meal
Cous cous is also nice but can go a bit  sloppy

I've also had it with sweet potato
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:13 pm

eds I now use only Israeli pearl couscous. put olive oil in pan pour in dry cousvous and cook for 2 minutes till all our coated and starting to turn Color. add in the water and then lots of garlic and then loads of herbs and other spices depending on what you're serving with. cover and simmer till liquid is gone. no more sloppy.

I never replaced my tagine from Cyprus when it broke on moving here so I use a Dutch oven for something similar.

I'm sitting here debating this weeks menu and this is here. haven't had it in ages. you star MWAH x
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:17 pm

Like the sound of both those, do a similar one with lamb Eds, but that also has cinnamon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:21 pm

recipe sassy recipe!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:22 pm

risingsun wrote:Like the sound of both those, do a similar one with lamb Eds, but that also has cinnamon.

Yeah I have made a lamb one but find it too rich? I prefer my lamb (and I really have to fancy lamb!) with red wine gravy.

i can't always stomach cinnamon but that sure would work!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:24 pm

Cass wrote:eds I now use only Israeli pearl couscous. put olive oil in pan pour in dry cousvous and cook for 2 minutes till all our coated and starting to turn Color. add in the water and then lots of garlic and then loads of herbs and other spices depending on what you're serving with. cover and simmer till liquid is gone. no more sloppy.

I never replaced my tagine from Cyprus when it broke on moving here so I use a Dutch oven for something similar.

I'm sitting here debating this weeks menu and this is here. haven't had it in ages. you star MWAH x

I'll have to look for that cous cous? Sounds nice!

You can alter that tagine recipe obviously - I mean sassy adds cinnamon which would be nice too :-)

All,recipes are according to taste aren't they? :-)
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:14 pm

ok menu for the week
Sunday - IHOP - junior works there and breakfast for dinner is good anytime

Monday - chicken tagine ala Eds and couscous and steamed veg

Tuesday - pulled pork with home made BBQ sauce and home made Mac & cheese
and steamed greens

Wednesday - country fried steak lite and ham and corncakes, gravy and stewed okra. and tomatoes

Thursday - skillet orzo with fish and fresh herbs and steamed veg

Friday - I'm out to symphony so they fan have frozen fish and chips!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:44 pm

Sounds good to me Cass cheers

I won't pretend I know what steak and ham lite thingy is....but I haven't had okra for years!!!
I'm gonna get me some :-)
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:00 pm

eddie wrote:Sounds good to me Cass cheers

I won't pretend I know what steak and ham lite thingy is....but I haven't had okra for years!!!
I'm gonna get me some :-)

you coat the steak with batter and fry so it comes out like fried chicken but I don't do it in hoops of oil but olive oil spray......the other is make up a batch of corn muffin dough add in some diced ham and a can of corn mix well again fry in spray like pancakes or fritters. you can add in small very diced veg too (I add tomatoes) . good on their own with a poached egg or two Smile

love love love okra
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:28 pm

Oooh I'll have to have a batch of those please Cass
Send in the next food parcel please.

Not too keen on fried food but I have to appreciate the good chef that you are and eat it Razz
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:58 pm

eds the tagine was perfecto. I mixed it up a bit but hey no leftovers - even junior ate it.

the smoothie is going well although I think nutribullet will help smooth it out bit more. added a dash of cinnamon this morning. also got some chia seeds and flaxseeds to add. decided to use pureed ginger paste as better than faffing about with the root.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:17 pm

Cass wrote:eds the tagine was perfecto. I mixed it up a bit but hey no leftovers - even junior ate it.

the smoothie is going well although I think nutribullet will help smooth it out bit more. added a dash of cinnamon this morning. also got some chia seeds and flaxseeds to add. decided to use pureed ginger paste as better than faffing about with the root.

He's the tagine is gorgeous isn't it?

The smoothies are just great I love them! I've trained my body to have one for breakfast and tide me over till lunch (I do snack on raw mushrooms though)
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by captain Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:35 pm

Recipes for chicken  3922118137 This is a good post, will be looking through here before cooking. Wink

A couple of things though... Please make sure you get free range chicken and try to find another oil other than olive oil. Coconut oil here for me most of the time.

My greek chuck recipe...

Few cloves of garlic, onion thyme, oregano, turmeric, tomatoes, pepper a a bit of Chilli, himalayan salt and finally tomatoes.. Throw all of the above except the tomatoes, into a pan, preferably not a non stick or aluminium. Slightly cook before adding chicken, when the chicken is partly cooked chop and add the tomatoes then a spoon or so of filtered water before adding more salt and pepper to the taste requirement you have. Just cover with a lid to gently cook for around 20 to thirty minutes. Usually I will add a raw salad with thyme and cider vinegar and a bit of veg. Recipes for chicken  2385359624
captain
captain
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:33 pm

captainJane wrote:Recipes for chicken  3922118137 This is a good post, will be looking through here before cooking. Wink

A couple of things though... Please make sure you get free range chicken and try to find another oil other than olive oil. Coconut oil here for me most of the time.

My greek chuck recipe...

Few cloves of garlic, onion thyme, oregano, turmeric, tomatoes, pepper a a bit of Chilli, himalayan salt and finally tomatoes.. Throw all of the above except the tomatoes, into a pan, preferably not a non stick or aluminium. Slightly cook before adding chicken, when the chicken is partly cooked chop and add the tomatoes then a spoon or so of filtered water before adding more salt and pepper to the taste requirement you have. Just cover with a lid to gently cook for around 20 to thirty minutes. Usually I will add a raw salad with thyme and cider vinegar and a bit of veg. Recipes for chicken  2385359624

sounds good Jane. confused though - you have tomatoes twice....when exactly do they go in?

I cant do coconut oil I'm afraid - taste and fat content

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/22/coconut-oil-healthy_n_5167057.html

Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:28 pm

You could even add in a little of Cameron flavour.

Cluck cluck Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:29 pm

I just knew you were going to say something like that! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:30 am

NEW RECIPE ALERT......
Stir fry
1 1/2 Lbs. ground chicken
green beans
mushroom
1 lime squeezed and a bit of zest reserved
teriyaki sauce
soy sauce
cayenne pepper
few dashes of hot sauce
cashews or peanuts
2 cloves garlic minced
I steam green beans for 4 minutes first

seasame oil in wok goon chick
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:45 am

ok ignore last bit - stoopid kindle

in wok sesame oil and cook chicken with garlic and 2 tsp cayenne till cooked. put in dish and keep warm. wipe wok

more oil and stirfry beans and mushrooms and cashews for 6 minutes
add in chicken
throw in teriyaki and soy sauce till everything is good and covered and there's a bit of liquid on bottom.
pour over lime juice add in zest stir well then sprinkle in hot sauce and stir well.

I serve with a brown wild rice mix that when I cook it I add a spoonful of chicken bouillon or oxo cube to water and a tbsp of butter to the water.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:58 am

Soinds delish! How odd that I've been cooking stir fry this week too!!
I didn't use chicken though as I tend to avoid chicken - I used king prawns and tiny prawns and flaked in some salmon at the end, but otherwise my recipe was pretty much the same!!!
Oh and I used noodle instead of rice as we all perfer noodles.

Love the addition of cashew nuts too (I added mone at the last minute) as the crunch is divine!!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:13 am

eddie wrote:Soinds delish! How odd that I've been cooking stir fry this week too!!
I didn't use chicken though as I tend to avoid chicken - I used king prawns and tiny prawns and flaked in some salmon at the end, but otherwise my recipe was pretty much the same!!!
Oh and I used noodle instead of rice as we all perfer noodles.

Love the addition of cashew nuts too (I added mone at the last minute) as the crunch is divine!!

great minds and all that......

for a year now ive bought only organic chicken

yours sounds yummy.

tomorrow I'm making shrimp scalping with angel hair pasta.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:03 am

Shrimp scalping??

Explain please! bounce
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:44 pm

captainJane wrote:Recipes for chicken  3922118137  This is a good post, will be looking through here before cooking. Wink

A couple of things though... Please make sure you get free range chicken...

Recipes for chicken  Sam-gross-raising-free-range-chickens-is-the-easy-part-the-hard-part-is-the-drive-new-yorker-cartoon

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:52 pm

eddie wrote:Shrimp scalping??

Explain please! bounce

oh for gawds sake.....I hate my kindle

shrimp scampi. !!!!!!!!!!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:54 pm

Cass wrote:

Explain please! bounce

Ya gotta scalp them swimps befo yo cook 'em...don' wan no heads.  Doncha spek cajun?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Cass wrote:

Ya gotta scalp them swimps befo yo cook 'em...don' wan no heads.  Doncha spek cajun?

rofl Smile
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Cass wrote:

Explain please! bounce

Ahhhhh. It all makes sense now Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:53 am

6 thin chicken cutlets
1 cup chopped/minced pistachios
1 cup spanking breadcrumbs
2tbsp each honey and olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
salt pepper garlic powder smoked paprika

mix breadcrumbs pistachios garlic powder and paprika in bowl
mix honey mustard oil salt and pepper in another bowl

dip cutlets in mustard mix then in breadcrumb mix
place on greased or parchment paper on baking sheet.
cook at 390° for 20 mins
brown under grill till brown and crispy.

I served it with with brown rice mix, peas & sweetcorn and roasted Brussels sprouts with panchetta, goats cheese and balsamic glaze
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:57 am

Now you've been and gone and done it, that sounds delicious, have to give it a try.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:46 pm

risingsun wrote:Now you've been and gone and done it, that sounds delicious, have to give it a try.

It is.....

I would like to point out however that it is panko breadcrumbs and not spanking.

good grief..... lol!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:00 pm

Oh hell, OH will be disappointed! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content