NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lost limbs and shattered lives: the British doctors on the frontline in Gaza

2 posters

Go down

Lost limbs and shattered lives: the British doctors on the frontline in Gaza  Empty Lost limbs and shattered lives: the British doctors on the frontline in Gaza

Post by Irn Bru Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:07 pm

It doesn’t sound like a dangerous journey: ten-year-old Weam Al Astal was walking back home from her grandfather’s house by her father Mohammed’s side. The distance was just 40m and dozens of her cousins were playing on the Gazan street outside their home. But as the pair approached, they heard the children shout in terror. A drone fired a missile overhead. The resulting explosion threw the pair to the floor, and Mohammed heard his daughter screaming. “I lost my leg! I lost my leg! Father, come and help me!”

Six months on from the conflict in which more than 2,000 Palestinians and 73 Israelis lost their lives, tales such as Weam’s are far from uncommon. But for the British doctors who helped treat her, such cases are still a shock.

Every month since the ceasefire was declared in August, a small group of up to six orthopaedic and plastic surgeons from the UK has been travelling to the devastated city for a week at a time to help save the limbs of those caught up in the attacks. So far they have seen more than 180 patients and carried out more than 50 operations as well as helping to train local staff, provide medical equipment and help increase the capacity of the hospitals.

Naveen Cavale, a plastic surgeon from King’s College Hospital in London, says he was initially worried about travelling to Palestine just weeks after a ceasefire was declared. “I hadn’t done anything like this before,” he says. “I was scared. Would there be bombs? Were we on the bad side of town? The crossing from Israel to Gaza is intimidating in itself – there are lots of cameras and a mile long tunnel-shaped cage you have to walk through.”

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/25/limbs-doctors-frontline-gaza-palestine-bomb-attacks

I have nothing but respect for these brave people who make this journey to help save countless children and adults from the battering received under the onslaught of the IDF military machine.

Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Lost limbs and shattered lives: the British doctors on the frontline in Gaza  Empty Re: Lost limbs and shattered lives: the British doctors on the frontline in Gaza

Post by Guest Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:20 pm

They do an amazing job and the conditions they work under are appalling.

Back to top Go down

Lost limbs and shattered lives: the British doctors on the frontline in Gaza  Empty Re: Lost limbs and shattered lives: the British doctors on the frontline in Gaza

Post by eddie Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:37 pm

That picture is heartbreaking.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:43 pm

Father and son in Gaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down