NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Taiwanese law requires parents to limit kids' mobile device time

3 posters

Go down

New Taiwanese law requires parents to limit kids' mobile device time Empty New Taiwanese law requires parents to limit kids' mobile device time

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:58 pm

I was prepared to disagree, but they make some good points:

A lot of parents are worried about their children spending too much in front of the phone or tablet. Parents in Taiwan now have to do something about it.

Lawmakers have expanded existing legislation to say that children under 18 on the island “may not constantly use electronic products for a period of time that is not reasonable.” The law now equates spending excess time on electronic devices with other more commonly-accepted vices, such as smoking, drinking, drugs, watching sexual or violent imagery, and chewing betel nuts.

Parents who expose their kids to electronic products to the point where become “physically or mentally” ill are liable for a $1,600 fine. Of course, the law doesn’t say exactly how much time is unreasonable, which will no doubt complicate enforcement.

The American Academy of Pediatrics, which recommends a maximum of two hours a day of screen time for kids, found in a recent study that US eight-year-olds spend an average of eight hours with some form of media—and many child-development psychologists urge more unstructured play time. In addition, there is another factor not covered in this law, which is the damage done to children from the fact that their parents are themselves always connected.

http://qz.com/332675/parents-in-this-country-are-now-legally-obliged-to-stop-their-kids-spending-time-on-computers/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

New Taiwanese law requires parents to limit kids' mobile device time Empty Re: New Taiwanese law requires parents to limit kids' mobile device time

Post by Cass Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:10 pm

agree silly and uninforceable BUT it raises good points.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

New Taiwanese law requires parents to limit kids' mobile device time Empty Re: New Taiwanese law requires parents to limit kids' mobile device time

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:09 pm

While I dont think playing angry birds all day is beneficial

If my Parents had said that I wouldn't have the career I have today.
If they have a passion for technology they should be encouraged to embrace it... ultimately it is far more like to result in a decent job than a Passion for Dance, Music, Art or Sport. (which people have no problem getting their children to do for hours)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down