NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anybody really believe the war in Afghanistan is "over?"

2 posters

Go down

Does anybody really believe the war in Afghanistan is "over?" Empty Does anybody really believe the war in Afghanistan is "over?"

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:39 pm

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The war in Afghanistan, fought for 13 bloody years and still raging, came to a formal end Sunday with a quiet flag-lowering ceremony in Kabul that marked the transition of the fighting from U.S.-led combat troops to the country's own security forces.

In front of a small, hand-picked audience at the headquarters of the NATO mission, the green-and-white flag of the International Security Assistance Force was ceremonially rolled up and sheathed, and the flag of the new international mission called Resolute Support was hoisted.

U.S. Gen. John Campbell, commander of ISAF, commemorated the 3,500 international soldiers killed on Afghan battlefields and praised the country's army for giving him confidence that they are able to take on the fight alone.

"Resolute Support will serve as the bedrock of an enduring partnership" between NATO and Afghanistan, Campbell told an audience of Afghan and international military officers and officials, as well as diplomats and journalists.

"The road before us remains challenging, but we will triumph," he added.

Beginning Jan. 1, the new mission will provide training and support for Afghanistan's military, with the U.S. accounting for almost 11,000 of the 13,500 members of the residual force.

"Thanks to the extraordinary sacrifices of our men and women in uniform, our combat mission in Afghanistan is ending, and the longest war in American history is coming to a responsible conclusion," U.S. President Barack Obama said in a statement issued in Hawaii, where he is on vacation with his family.

I don't know, this whole mess just has an unreal quality about it for me ...

http://news.yahoo.com/us-nato-mark-end-mission-afghanistan-065247693.html;_ylt=AwrBEiR116FUZjsAEjXQtDMD
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Does anybody really believe the war in Afghanistan is "over?" Empty Re: Does anybody really believe the war in Afghanistan is "over?"

Post by Cass Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:31 pm

of course its not over. Look at Iraq. Can you say Mission Creep?

The British tried it and didn't succeed, the Russians tried it and didn't succeed and now The Coalition.

Can anyone, anyone at all name a positive, significant, concrete aim that was achieved?

RIP the 3,502 soldiers and probably way more than the 20,000 civilians killed because of George W. Bush, Darth Dick Chaney, Tenet, Wolfowitz, and all the other asshats.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Does anybody really believe the war in Afghanistan is "over?" Empty Re: Does anybody really believe the war in Afghanistan is "over?"

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:53 am

I don't even think getting bin Laden really qualifies, since we could have done it without the war, and um ... terrorism is getting worse.

It's just that this is the official, legal end of the longest war in U.S. history, and the president comments on it from vacation, and hardly anyone is saying anything. That's really messed up and the more I think about it, the more it creeps me out. This deserves some commentary, for crying out loud.

People who were born the day this war began are now in high school.

Coalition deaths:

Albania 1
Australia 41
Belgium 1
Canada 158
Czech 10
Denmark 43
Estonia 9
Finland 2
France 86
Georgia 27
Germany 54
Hungary 7
Italy 48
Jordan 2
Latvia 3
Lithuania 1
NATO 17
Netherlands 25
New Zealand 11
Norway 10
Poland 40
Portugal 2
Romania 21
Slovakia 3
South Korea 1
Spain 34
Sweden 5
Turkey 14
UK 453
US 2356

18,000-20,000 Afghans dead.

"I am concerned about it, but I’m not as concerned as I am about Iraq today — obviously, or I’d be talking about Afghanistan — but I believe that if Karzai can make the progress that he is making, that in the long term we may muddle through in Afghanistan." -- John McCain, who got 59,948,323 votes in 2008 when he ran for president

Total U.S. dollars spent waging this war: on the verge of reaching $775 billion

It's like we made this huge, stupid, needlessly deadly mistake and now we're just trying to move on and not acknowledge it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:02 am

that figure above doesn't count the 62 Spanish soliders who were killed when their plane crashed coming back from Afghanistan ....there are other soliders too who I consider as casualties .....

no Bin Laden doesnt count since it occurred 10 FUCKING (excuse me) years after GWB went in (8 years after he decided Saddam was "part of it") and was in Pakistan.

You're damn right it deserves commentary but look how long did it take for the fubar mess that was Vietnam truth to come out - and it still isn't an honest conversation.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down