NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tax breaks for religious institutions equal $71 billion annually in U.S.

5 posters

Go down

Tax breaks for religious institutions equal $71 billion annually in U.S. Empty Tax breaks for religious institutions equal $71 billion annually in U.S.

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:50 am

While some people may be bothered by the fact that there are pastors who live in multimillion dollar homes, this is old news to most. But here is what should bother you about these expensive homes: You are helping to pay for them! You pay for them indirectly, the same way local, state, and federal governments in the United States subsidize religion — to the tune of about $71 billion every year.

Not only that -- many religious groups get public funding as well: https://www.aclu.org/religion-belief/government-funded-religion

So much for all that "Christians don't want to control the government" nonsense.

Sorry to recycle a meme, but ...

Tax breaks for religious institutions equal $71 billion annually in U.S. 56787994
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Tax breaks for religious institutions equal $71 billion annually in U.S. Empty Re: Tax breaks for religious institutions equal $71 billion annually in U.S.

Post by Independent Thoughts Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:01 am

I think it would be fair to change the perspective of your narrative:

It's not the religion that is corrupt.  It's the people that turn religion into an self-aggrandizing entrepreneurial enterprise that are corrupt.

Independent Thoughts
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Tax breaks for religious institutions equal $71 billion annually in U.S. Empty Re: Tax breaks for religious institutions equal $71 billion annually in U.S.

Post by veya_victaous Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:12 am

IndependentThoughts wrote:I think it would be fair to change the perspective of your narrative:

It's not the religion that is corrupt.  It's the people that turn religion into an self-aggrandizing entrepreneurial enterprise that are corrupt.

that would be every religious institution since Hathor  (a good 3000 years before Jesus)

Spiritual people are fine, but no spiritual person will suggest that going to a building, giving someone organisation money or giving lip service to a book of lesson you haven't read will in anyway improve your Soul.

Anyone suggesting they talk to God or know anything about 'the divine will' is a charlatan simple as that, If it were true they woudl already know that it is completely impossible to purvey such notions with a mortal tongue even if they were spoken too they would be aware that they would not be able to repeat it.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:58 am

IndependentThoughts wrote:I think it would be fair to change the perspective of your narrative:

I wasn't arguing religion itself is corrupt. I support everyone's right to believe in anything from God to the FSM as long as they don't act like a-holes.

But, every Really Big Thing from religion to business to government is going to create niches where people exploit them for personal gain at the expense of others, who become victims of it.

My narrative is the hypocrisy of Christian Right types who claim we're better than other fundamentalist societies because we have some (apparently mythical) non-theocracy.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:00 pm

It's fairly offensive to imply that Christians are the same as Muslim extremists.

Just saying.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:59 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It's fairly offensive to imply that Christians are the same as Muslim extremists.

Just saying.

That doesn't make any sense, Raggs. Christian extremists are the same as Muslim extremists.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:28 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It's fairly offensive to imply that Christians are the same as Muslim extremists.

Just saying.

I guess I can see where you'd say that, but I didn't imply that -- I implied that just as Islam has fundamentalists and moderates, so does Christianity.

Unless you think that their mutually shared desire to execute gay people somehow makes one fundamentalist but not the other ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:58 pm

Original Quill wrote:

Just saying.

That doesn't make any sense, Raggs.  Christian extremists are the same as Muslim extremists.

It doesn't say Christian extremists though, it just says Christians.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:59 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Just saying.

I guess I can see where you'd say that, but I didn't imply that -- I implied that just as Islam has fundamentalists and moderates, so does Christianity.

Unless you think that their mutually shared desire to execute gay people somehow makes one fundamentalist but not the other ...

Well then it should say "Christian extremists", not just "Christians".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:50 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Just saying.

It wouldn't be accurate to just say "Christian extremists" -- the push to erode the separation between church and state in the U.S. is mainstream Christian, not extremist. Check out the Republican part of this YouGov poll from two years ago and remember, they tend to be the party of Christianity in the U.S.:

Tax breaks for religious institutions equal $71 billion annually in U.S. Churstate_pid
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:16 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It wouldn't be accurate to just say "Christian extremists" -- the push to erode the separation between church and state in the U.S. is mainstream Christian, not extremist. Check out the Republican part of this YouGov poll from two years ago and remember, they tend to be the party of Christianity in the U.S.:

Tax breaks for religious institutions equal $71 billion annually in U.S. Churstate_pid

Oh, you mean US Christians. Did you know that there are Christians in other countries too?

I guess it depends on your definition of "extremist" really.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down