NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Church group says it was threatened with arrest for feeding the homeless

2 posters

Go down

Church group says it was threatened with arrest for feeding the homeless Empty Church group says it was threatened with arrest for feeding the homeless

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:36 pm

Church group says it was threatened with arrest for feeding the homeless Handouts27n-1-web

Seriously? Apparently this is over the church group not paying $800 for a permit to use the park. I thought city parks were owned by the people!

A North Carolina church group said they were prevented from handing out food to the homeless after police threatened them with arrest, according to their website.

For the past six years, volunteers from Love Wins Ministries frequented Moore Square in Raleigh, N.C., on Saturdays and Sundays to give out hot coffee and a breakfast sandwich to those in need, according to the church group's website.

But when volunteers went down to their usual weekend spot to dole out the 100 sausage biscuits and the gallons of coffee they had brought to feed the crowds who had gathered Saturday morning, they were also greeted by officers with the Raleigh Police Department, according to a statement on the church group's website.

"An officer said, quite bluntly, that if we attempted to distribute food, we would be arrested," the Rev. Hugh Hollowell wrote on the group's website. "We asked the officers for permission to disperse the biscuits to the over 70 people who had lined up, waiting to eat. They said no. I had to face those who were waiting and tell them that I could not feed them, or I would be arrested."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/nc-police-threaten-arrest-church-group-feeding-homeless/story?id=20062760
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Church group says it was threatened with arrest for feeding the homeless Empty Re: Church group says it was threatened with arrest for feeding the homeless

Post by veya_victaous Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:27 pm

America Home of the Free....
if you pay the $800 dollar a day permit Evil or Very Mad 

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Church group says it was threatened with arrest for feeding the homeless Empty Re: Church group says it was threatened with arrest for feeding the homeless

Post by veya_victaous Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:35 pm

I am all for councils charging reasonable permits for people/groups that use public parks to run a business (Personal Trainers r pain in the ass) or prevent the general publics usage (sports teams etc) this helps pay to maintain the parkland.

But I think Charitable work should be accepted, and $800 is very steep, $50 to $400 i think is reaosnable for 100 plus people, depending on demand and expected damage.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:10 pm

TBF.....Church attendances are very low in most parts of this country and many have been abandoned and changed into a much better use, that being social housing.

I'm of the opinion that especially in the winter time that churches should open their doors to the homeless but they don't at all.Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:36 pm

Funny how those abandoned churches are now being put to a more "Christian" purpose, isn't it?

I've decided that at the end of the day, the fight against superstition is great and all, but that we should be more concerned with what people do than what they believe. If this church is only feeding the homeless to win brownie points with Skydaddy 2.0 and avoid hellfire -- they're still feeding the homeless.

It's when religious groups start using their beliefs to justify violence and/or inequality that I have a real problem with them. I say they should be allowed to feed the homeless in public as long as they're not making the homeless sick or something.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:26 am

LOL
In Australia
The old Sandstone churches are almost all Pubs
And Churches services are now often in unused Factories/warehouses. (With exception of Evangelical hill song church, clearly the corporate God, his ministers need Mercedes)

It is my hope that within the next decade we can start buying Mosques and Synagogues to Turn in Pubs too.

Most Aussie would Agree to put God before Beer is Treasonous.

@ben
its the teach a man to fish ideal. Sure I can give them a Fish (or say medicine) but if i teach them how to fish (teach them Science) they will be able to get their own and possbily new fish to further our fishing skills (more Scientists creates more developments in Science/Technology).

and we Beer worshipping Scientists still give more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Giving_Index
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down