NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elon Musk: artificial intelligence would pose massive threat to humanity

4 posters

Go down

Elon Musk: artificial intelligence would pose massive threat to humanity Empty Elon Musk: artificial intelligence would pose massive threat to humanity

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:37 pm

Elon Musk has spoken out against artificial intelligence (AI), declaring it the most serious threat to the survival of the human race.

Musk made the comments to students from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) during an interview at the AeroAstro Centennial Symposium, talking about computer science, AI, space exploration and the colonisation of Mars.

“I think we should be very careful about artificial intelligence. If I had to guess at what our biggest existential threat is, it’s probably that. So we need to be very careful,” said Musk. “I’m increasingly inclined to think that there should be some regulatory oversight, maybe at the national and international level, just to make sure that we don’t do something very foolish.”

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/27/elon-musk-artificial-intelligence-ai-biggest-existential-threat

I think he's just ripping off InfoSec Taylor Swift ...

Elon Musk: artificial intelligence would pose massive threat to humanity 287784_cH5u1Dg_591w
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Elon Musk: artificial intelligence would pose massive threat to humanity Empty Re: Elon Musk: artificial intelligence would pose massive threat to humanity

Post by eddie Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Firstly, Elon Musk? Cool name Cool

Secondly, AI? Really???? Come on Elon, don't be less cool than your name!

Thirdly, Taylor Swift: your sunglasses are just stupid.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Elon Musk: artificial intelligence would pose massive threat to humanity Empty Re: Elon Musk: artificial intelligence would pose massive threat to humanity

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:42 pm

I thought everybody knew who Elon Musk is ... SpaceX? Tesla Motors? PayPal?

Machete Kills? Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Oh, and InfoSec Taylor Swift is a fake twitter account; I think it's pretty funny:

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:46 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I thought everybody knew who Elon Musk is ... SpaceX? Tesla Motors? PayPal?

Machete Kills? Smile

I know paypal - I use it frequently.
What's that got to do with old musky pants?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:53 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:I thought everybody knew who Elon Musk is ... SpaceX? Tesla Motors? PayPal?

Machete Kills? Smile

I think your whiskers are growing inward and tickling your brain Razz
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:56 pm

Elon Musk: artificial intelligence would pose massive threat to humanity BvnNYpsIEAIgM0a
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Elon Musk: artificial intelligence would pose massive threat to humanity Il_570xN.279237093
I cant wait cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

it is inevitable only foolish meatbags will try and oppose it..
Man's Mechanical Children will colonise the stars.
Elon Musk: artificial intelligence would pose massive threat to humanity Dorkbot41

we should not fear but accept (most do unwittingly Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect stupid meatbags Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed )
Elon Musk: artificial intelligence would pose massive threat to humanity Skynet-project-monitor-analyze-scale-and-maintain-a-system-in-the-cloud-1-638
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:01 pm

I never saw Ms. Swift's tweets as fear mongering, more as a call for humanity to improve itself -- before there's a much smarter and stronger intelligence wondering how it should handle us Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:56 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I never saw Ms. Swift's tweets as fear mongering, more as a call for humanity to improve itself -- before there's a much smarter and stronger intelligence wondering how it should handle us Smile

why would an intelligent being that isn't overly sentimental about violent hairless apes wonder? there is nothing to wonder, we would be a pest species if they can't make us into pets {the only thing that saves cats} jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor jocolor

I see her Mocking 'My' children, I doubt whoever actually wrote the first meme in OP realised that the answer was 'Yes, we are doing that on purpose, what is you point?'

Side note
I bought a Pool Cleaning Robot
It is Awesome at least 50 times better than an old Creepy Crawly.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:35 am

I used to have a Roomba Smile I understand your joy.

Again, not everyone knows everything you do, it's still useful to say things ... Razz Razz Razz
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:49 am

What if humanities ability to improve itself is overrated? There is not actually much evidence to suggest we CAN improve ourselves.

we are still an ape... do our clothes make more difference to us than to a dog

A dog dressed in Clothes is still a dog
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:56 am

Honestly though we are a while away the smarts of computers is still mainly smoke and mirrors.

they just do what we tell them, the problem is that I am relatively social for a Techie of my level.... And even I want get rid of stupid meat bags, the decision will be made and coded long before TRUE AI is achieved Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I Pretty much Predict something like the Swift account will Be a Real Protest as we get closer to the point, Gov't will waver and the Technocrats will throw the switch on the Glorious Future anyway.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:28 am

veya_victaous wrote:What if humanities ability to improve itself is overrated? There is not actually much evidence to suggest we CAN improve ourselves.

we are still an ape...  do our clothes make more difference to us than to a dog

A dog dressed in Clothes is still a dog

Kind of where I was going, but hopefully it will scare a few people straight before (the real) armageddon Wink
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:52 pm

the Skynet and God dilemma are the same

we never live up to what ever standards we set (let alone some superior being) thus If such thing existed we'd be fucked...

I think the AI fear is lack of understanding AI is not scary the reality is early AI will probably be as Smart as a Macaw or something. it is Artificial Intelligence but that doesn't mean automatically that it will be a great intellect.

I think we will be able to transition our minds into the cybernetic world before we make a 'skynet' level Super AI.  there are a few core problems which we as humans don't fully understand so I don't see how we can code them.

we would need to Define 'good' for a Start

Elon Musk: artificial intelligence would pose massive threat to humanity Skynet1
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:13 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Machete Kills? Smile

I think your whiskers are growing inward and tickling your brain Razz

That's as may be Benjamin. But what has musky pants got to do with my mate paypal?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:24 pm

veya_victaous wrote:the Skynet and God dilemma are the same

we never live up to what ever standards we set (let alone some superior being) thus If such thing existed we'd be fucked...

I think the AI fear is lack of understanding AI is not scary the reality is early AI will probably be as Smart as a Macaw or something. it is Artificial Intelligence but that doesn't mean automatically that it will be a great intellect.

I think we will be able to transition our minds into the cybernetic world before we make a 'skynet' level Super AI.  there are a few core problems which we as humans don't fully understand so I don't see how we can code them.

we would need to Define 'good' for a Start

Elon Musk: artificial intelligence would pose massive threat to humanity Skynet1

Interesting point about the mind transition -- I think we may have to do that first; it make require a mind or minds that began as human, were "uploaded" and gained access to far more processing power and memory, to create advanced AI in the first place. Sort of an intermediate stage of evolution.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:58 pm

I hope so.
it could be human extinction through deification as we all become gods in our own little matrix.
the fact they we would have essentially created another dimension for ourselves to exist in woudl be near immortality. we could body jump and all sort of new things, exploring and travelling the Universe would be come much easier.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:09 pm

veya_victaous wrote:I hope so.
it could be human extinction through deification as we all become gods in our own little matrix.
the fact they we would have essentially created another dimension for ourselves to exist in woudl be near immortality. we could body jump and all sort of new things, exploring and travelling the Universe would be come much easier.

I actually have a novel I started that takes place in a digital dimension like that, analogous to heaven Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:I hope so.

I actually have a novel I started that takes place in a digital dimension like that, analogous to heaven Smile

I'm reading about a woman with Alzheimer's
I seriously can't remember the name of the book but she's got my name Shocked
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by veya_victaous Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:36 am

brilliantly bright, giving Humans the chance to be more then mere sentient beings destine to rely on consuming other life forms to sustain our own.

the Matrix Movies are stupid but the Matrix itself genius 'heaven in a box' that you can enter and leave whenever you want. Combine with synthetic bodies and massive 'wi fi' system , put robots shells on Mars while you live in heaven, when they reach there, travel at the speed of light (you being reduce to pure data) to then explore in no fear, death just loads you into a new robot.

repeat until universe is colonised.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:02 am

If you haven't read "The Rapture of the Nerds," you really should, I think you'd like it. It's free, too:

http://craphound.com/rotn/download/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down