NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from

5 posters

Go down

What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from  Empty What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:14 pm

What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from  2396444674 What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from  2396444674 What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from  2396444674 What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from  2396444674 What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from  2396444674

Don't plug strange USB sticks into your computers. Don't do it. A pair of hackers just made public the code for super scary malware that takes advantage of a fundamental flaw in USB firmware. They didn't do this to be mean, but you can be sure some evil hackers will use it to be mean.

The malware in question is very similar to the so-called BadUSB attack we saw a couple of months ago. Security researchers Karsten Nohl and Jakob Lell basically reversed engineered USB firmware so that they could create virtually undetectable malware that can't be patched. In brief, BadUSB can "be installed on a USB device to completely take over a PC, invisibly alter files installed from the memory stick, or even redirect the user's internet traffic."

Given the tremendous danger of this kind of thing getting out into the wild—literally, any computer with a USB port would be an easy target—Nohl and Lell opted to keep the code a secret. But now, researchers Adam Caudill and Brandon Wilson have more or less copied the BadUSB attack and uploaded the code to GitHub for all to download. This sounds very scary, but it might actually be a good thing.

http://gizmodo.com/now-anyone-can-get-the-malware-that-exploits-usbs-funda-1641821985
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from  Empty Re: What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from

Post by Cass Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:30 am

no sheeyet........

but I am still waiting for that nice prince in Africa to send me the money he is trying to get out......I noticed my credit card has been debited.....many times in fact.......he seemed so nice from his emails.....
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from  Empty Re: What do you know -- you shouldn't plug a USB drive into your computer without knowing where it came from

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:31 am

Cass wrote:no sheeyet........

but I am still waiting for that nice prince in Africa to send me the money he is trying to get out......I noticed my credit card has been debited.....many times in fact.......he seemed so nice from his emails.....

Yea, MC Frontalot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNkp95oINYQ
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:34 am

hahahahaha......class
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:30 am

So........

Can I plug a USB thingy in to downlaod my pictures off my pooter?? scratch
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by eddie Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:05 pm

Fuzzy Zack wrote:A USB stick is like a penis. You should know where it's been before sticking it in. You never know what virus it's carrying.

lol!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down