NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

should Pluto be reinstated as a planet?

+2
Ben Reilly
groomsy
6 posters

Go down

should Pluto be reinstated as a planet? Empty should Pluto be reinstated as a planet?

Post by groomsy Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:09 pm

When astronomers stripped Pluto of its status as a planet in 2006, children and grown-ups raised a ruckus. Some kids even sent hate mail to the Hayden Planetarium complaining about Pluto's "demotion" to dwarf planet status.

"Why do you think Pluto is no longer a planet?" Emerson York, then a third-grader living in Mansfield, Pennsylvania, wrote in a letter to the Planetarium's director, Neil deGrasse Tyson. "Pluto is my faveret planet!!! PLUTO IS A PLANET!!!!!!!"

Now it seems some astronomers are having second thoughts. In a Sept. 18 debate hosted in Cambridge, Mass. at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, three experts in planetary science duked it out over whether Pluto should be considered a planet.

Dr. Gareth Williams, associate director of the Minor Planet Center in Cambridge, said the icy body does not qualify for planetary status. But Dr. Dimitar Sasselov, director of Harvard’s Origins of Life Initiative, argued otherwise. And Dr. Owen Gingerich, professor emeritus of astronomy at Harvard and a senior astronomer emeritus at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, argued that defining what a planet is shouldn't be up to scientists.

“What is a planet is a culturally defined word that has changed over the ages. The IAU was foolhardy to try and define the word planet," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/24/pluto-planet-debate_n_5868008.html?utm_hp_ref=science
groomsy
groomsy
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

should Pluto be reinstated as a planet? Empty Re: should Pluto be reinstated as a planet?

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:54 pm

I think it will always be a planet for some of us ... I have no problem with astronomers saying it's "not technically" a planet, though. Better yet, let's make Pluto and the other four dwarf planets just "planets," then we'll have 13 (at least) instead of eight!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

should Pluto be reinstated as a planet? Empty Re: should Pluto be reinstated as a planet?

Post by veya_victaous Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:51 pm

And this is why we can still wage war AFTER we remove religion ...

Emerson York, will lead the his army to the mighty battle cry of
PLUTO IS A PLANET!!!!!!!
::rambo:: ::rambo:: ::rambo:: ::rambo:: ::rambo::
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:45 am

Have to say, Pluto will always be a planet in my heart, which is the only thing that really matters (God told me two days ago) ... but I'm more than happy to allow the other dwarves into the mix. Even freaky-deakies need love.

I once met a dwarf and his (much taller) wife at a retail job I held in my late teens ... the guy opened his wallet when he got the bill and asked, "could you help me, babe? I'm a little short." Fan-goddang-tastic.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:21 am

should Pluto be reinstated as a planet? Tumblrs-greatest-hits-meeting-you
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:34 am

We're the only species we know of that gets to designate awesomeness (like planethood). We should rock that power.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:37 pm

should Pluto be reinstated as a planet? Must-see-imagery-pluts-vs-nasa
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:45 pm

yes.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:45 am

Lone Wolf wrote:Laughing  

IF PLUTO is a "planet", then Tasmania should be accepted as a separate country in it's own right !!!

Wait. Wait. Tasmania isn't a country? Po' devils. Evil or Very Mad

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:07 am

Original Quill wrote:

IF PLUTO is a "planet", then Tasmania should be accepted as a separate country in it's own right !!!

Wait.  Wait.  Tasmania isn't a country?  Po' devils.  Evil or Very Mad

yeah just like Hawaii is should Pluto be reinstated as a planet? 265384880
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:34 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Sorry, my antipodean friend, I believe you meant "Texas" rather than "Hawaii."

I know that due to my own not-inconsiderable awesomeness, most here are willing to allow that Texas itself is probably pretty awesome. But Texas is Tasmania to most Americans. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to explain to my own fellow Democrats that just because I'm from Texas doesn't make me an Obama-hating, Bible-thumping gun-licker.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:11 pm

getting back to the OP.....free Pluto now.....restore it....otherwise it messes up this

my very educated mother just served us nine pizzas.

took my years to remember cause I always screw up mercury and Mars
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:47 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Sorry, my antipodean friend, I believe you meant "Texas" rather than "Hawaii."

I know that due to my own not-inconsiderable awesomeness, most here are willing to allow that Texas itself is probably pretty awesome. But Texas is Tasmania to most Americans. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to explain to my own fellow Democrats that just because I'm from Texas doesn't make me an Obama-hating, Bible-thumping gun-licker.

I actually meant because they're is water between it and the mainland Wink  the whole Island state thing Razz

And to a degree Texas is more like Northern Territory but with lots more bibles and not as hot with less space, less cows and less poisonous snakes. the crazy level is debatable... Northern Territorians are pretty crazy
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguillaume/ridiculous-things-that-could-only-happen-in-the-northern#.yt3MWlLejA
should Pluto be reinstated as a planet? Enhanced-buzz-14405-1386648338-4
should Pluto be reinstated as a planet? Enhanced-buzz-9707-1386638789-10
Do you get alligators in Texas? If you do then you got a smaller versions of Crocs too Cool Cool Cool Cool Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:30 pm

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kellyoakes/pluto-is-actually-bigger-than-earth-if-you-include-its-atmos#.ocrgB2DqOY

Pluto Is Actually Bigger Than Earth, If You Include Its Atmosphere

It’s the only fair way to do the comparison, really.

should Pluto be reinstated as a planet? Enhanced-6747-1425296203-1

And this is a conservative estimate: Pluto’s atmosphere could actually be even bigger than it’s shown in the image above. We’ll have to wait for New Horizons to get there later this year to find out for sure.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:33 pm

veya_victaous wrote:http://www.buzzfeed.com/kellyoakes/pluto-is-actually-bigger-than-earth-if-you-include-its-atmos#.ocrgB2DqOY

Pluto Is Actually Bigger Than Earth, If You Include Its Atmosphere

It’s the only fair way to do the comparison, really.

should Pluto be reinstated as a planet? Enhanced-6747-1425296203-1

And this is a conservative estimate: Pluto’s atmosphere could actually be even bigger than it’s shown in the image above. We’ll have to wait for New Horizons to get there later this year to find out for sure.

that's exactly why I never understood it being downgraded in the first place. I did Earth Science in 9th grade and made the model of the universe, it was not the smallest .....?????
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down