NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-cigs refills 'threat to children'

+4
Lone Wolf
jaded fox
Irn Bru
eddie
8 posters

Go down

E-cigs refills 'threat to children'  Empty E-cigs refills 'threat to children'

Post by eddie Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:19 am

Parents need to keep electronic cigarette refills away from young children because of the risk of poisoning, doctors in Birmingham say.

They issued the warning, in the medical journal Archives of Disease in Childhood, after a two-year-old girl accidentally licked some of the liquid.

The infant recovered, but high doses of nicotine can be lethal.

Doctors said parents should treat nicotine refills like white spirit, medicines and bleach.

There has been a surge in popularity of e-cigarettes, with more than two million people in the UK thought to use them.

However, there has been a similar boom in nicotine poisonings.

The National Poisons Information Service, part of Public Health England, said it had had 139 enquiries about nicotine last year, compared with 29 in 2012 and only 36 in the previous five years combined.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29110245

Anyone else think these things are just an addiction waiting to happen?
I'll be willing to bet that they're hiding some very nasty chemical that will cause it's own problems.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

E-cigs refills 'threat to children'  Empty Re: E-cigs refills 'threat to children'

Post by eddie Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:22 am

E-cigs refills 'threat to children'  Image24

1. On some e-cigarettes, inhalation activates the battery-powered atomiser. Other types are manually switched on

2. A heating coil inside the atomiser heats liquid nicotine contained in a cartridge

3. Liquid nicotine becomes vapour and is inhaled. The "smoke" produced is largely water vapour. Many e-cigarettes have an LED light as a cosmetic feature to simulate traditional cigarette glow.

In the case at Good Hope Hospital in Birmingham, a two-year-old put the refill in her mouth and is thought to have licked a few drops of liquid before the mother could whip the bottle out.

The infant vomited and was taken to hospital as a precaution, where she recovered.

Signs of poisoning include:

burning in the mouth and throat
high or low blood pressure
too fast or too slow a heartbeat
nausea
confusion
dizziness
weakness
excess spittle
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

E-cigs refills 'threat to children'  Empty Re: E-cigs refills 'threat to children'

Post by Irn Bru Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:38 am

There was a report the other day that some liquids do in fact contain a chemical that is not safe to inhale. The chemical mentioned is seemingly used as a food additive and safe to consume but not safe to inhale.
Using these things is certainly on the increase and the size of some of these things make them look like big huge cigars generating huge puffs of smoke.
Becoming fashion accessories for the young I believe.
There needs to be more research into these things.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:42 am

THIS???? is news?

this has been known since they first came available
of course there are some risks to the user as well no doubt, but FAR less than tobacco

another thing for the do gooders to stick their noses into and dictate how people live..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:20 am

victorisnotamused wrote:THIS???? is news?

this has been known since they first came available
of course there are some risks to the user as well no doubt, but FAR less than tobacco

another thing for the do gooders to stick their noses into and dictate how people live..

Exactly Victor and we all know what this is really about, tax, they want to stick a high tax levy on this, as they are losing tax revenue from those who used to buy cigarettes ad it will be a farce if they do so.

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded fox Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:04 am

I would have thought that presence of nicotine in those things would make it fairly obvious that it was dangerous for children.

I was over estimating common sense again.
jaded fox
jaded fox
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:07 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Laughing

"e-cig's" are simply another means for those drug peddling tobacco corporations to extend their dying industry's last gasps [snigger!!!] for another couple of decades...

AS FOR parents that are foolish enough as to leave any highly-toxic substances such as nicotine (or THC, LSD or ecstacy, for that matter..) around for toddlers or pets to come across ~ there really is no effective way of outlawing such base stupidity..

SOME parents are so thick, they really don't deserve to be allowed the right to breed in the first place !    

Arrow

+1

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:47 pm

I find myself agreeing with you all.

One of my dearest friends was so pleased she gave up her lifetime smoking habit two years ago , but I found out the other day that she's been smoking these things and I told her she's replaced one addiction for another!

I think they're dangerous and mark my words, they're going to create their own set of serious "previously unknown" (yeah right!) set of mild to severe health problems by the year 2016 or so.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:19 pm

I've been using e-cigs for a few years now, and I know they're not really a healthy thing to do -- just way more healthy than smoking. It keeps me away from cigarettes, which have about 100 times as many known carcinogens as the fluid from an e-cig.

But at the end of the day ... SOMETHING IS GOING TO KILL YOU. No way around that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPz9Fcvb1II
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:52 pm

I had a doctor tell me that nicotine isn't really too much worse than caffeine. Of course, much depends on the dose you're getting.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lone Wolf Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:01 pm

Laughing

THAT'S bullshit, Ben !!!

THAT doctor is no doubt a smoker himself ?

Nicotine is actually a commonly used pesticide on organically grown vegetable crops ~ make your own highly toxic spray for grubs and caterpillars by dumping all of your used cigarette butts in a bucket or drum, then cover with water and let brew for a few months..

TO use ~ making sure that you don't ingest any of the liquid, or even get any on your skin, dilute it maybe 10:1 or even 100:1, depending on how strong you made it - and put in a spray bottle or backpack sprayer to apply.

AND watch all of them wee little pest beasties curl up and die before your very eyes as you spray them (and merrily spreading toxic wastes over your vege' patch at the same time..)!  albino
Lone Wolf
Lone Wolf
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:57 pm

Excellent post wolf earning you a "thanks" point
Whatever that is scratch
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:14 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Laughing

THAT'S bullshit, Ben !!!

THAT doctor is no doubt a smoker himself ?

Nicotine is actually a commonly used pesticide on organically grown vegetable crops ~ make your own highly toxic spray for grubs and caterpillars by dumping all of your used cigarette butts in a bucket or drum, then cover with water and let brew for a few months..

TO use ~ making sure that you don't ingest any of the liquid, or even get any on your skin, dilute it maybe 10:1 or even 100:1, depending on how strong you made it - and put in a spray bottle or backpack sprayer to apply.

AND watch all of them wee little pest beasties curl up and die before your very eyes as you spray them (and merrily spreading toxic wastes over your vege' patch at the same time..)!  albino

Caffeine's a pesticide too, and both chemicals do pretty much the same thing to the nervous systems of pests -- much like the coca plant. Again, it has everything to do with the dose.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:51 pm

Nicotine is Highly addictive but it doesn't actually cause cancer...
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:35 am

I am really at odds with how people seem at odds with E-Cigs here which in all events will no doubt help prevent many from contracting many life threatening conditions through smoking cigarettes. It may not be perfect, but if it gets people off them, then that is a step in the right direction.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:34 am

veya_victaous wrote:Nicotine is Highly addictive but it doesn't actually cause cancer...

I was under the impression that we don't know what causes cancer.

But you are right...medical science, mostly, does not use 'causation', but rather 'association.' They avoid using terms like X causes Y, and prefer to use things like Y is associated with X. It is simply a statistical pairing, whereas causation and correlation require more explanation.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:38 am

Original Quill wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:Nicotine is Highly addictive but it doesn't actually cause cancer...

But you are right...medical science, mostly, does not use 'causation', but rather 'association.'  They avoid using terms like X causes Y, and prefer to use things like Y is associated with X.  It is simply a statistical pairing, whereas causation and correlation require more explanation.

we don't know what causes All types of Cancer but we know that the some are 'caused' by cells mutated by the carbon radiation.. Skin Cancer is the most obvious example and lung cancer where the chance of cancer greatly increase with exposure to the 'burnt' carbon molecule. Bowel Cancer is quite probably another.

Other like Cervical Cancer are 'caused' the papillomaviruses
http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/1060/cancer-information/cancer-risk-and-prevention/screening-and-early-detection/cervical-cancer-vaccine-fact-sheet/
Human papillomaviruses (HPV) are the major cause of cervical cancer in women. Genital warts and some cancers in males are related to HPV, including most anal cancer, and some cancers of the penis, head and neck.

The HPV vaccine triggers the formation of antibodies to produce immunity and therefore protects the body from disease.

They don't like to use the term Cause because people are idiots and don't understand the variable threshold and balanced with other factors.. Seriously we got to the point were we had kids with Vitamin D deficiencies because people were told Skin cancer is caused by going out in the sun particularly as a kid.. so Mums stopped kids going out into the sun with out slathering on Sun screen.. to the point it was literally making them sick from one of the things that should be literally impossible in a country like Australia
http://raisingboysinoz.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/slip-slop-slap-gone-too-far.html

The skin cancer aware message of the campaign has so successfully been absorbed into the Australian psyche that people who are always slipping on a shirt, slopping on the 30+ sunscreen and slapping on a hat may in fact be exposing themselves to the sun more than non-sunscreen users. So, if they are not applying the sunscreen correctly, they might be more prone to develop skin cancer. And if they are, they might belong to the 30% to 70% of the Australian population with a vitamin D deficiency, which has also been linked to colon, breast and prostate cancer, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and other diseases.

If you're one of those Australians who is not getting enough vitamin D because you cover yourself with sunscreen and all its potentially harmful chemicals, you can always get vitamin D supplements, which might upset your stomach, but then you can take more tablets to remedy that...
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:57 am

I truly think that doctors don't expect you to follow their advice precisely, so they tell you to do more than what's necessary. I once sprained my finger really badly and stupidly kept it in a splint for weeks which, of course, caused the joints to freeze and made me look like I was always trying to correct someone.

I went to a physical therapist who put me on weeks of excruciating exercises to get mobility back. She was truly shocked when I came back for another appointment and had nearly full mobility back, and she said she really didn't expect most of her patients to do exactly as she said Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I truly think that doctors don't expect you to follow their advice precisely, so they tell you to do more than what's necessary. I once sprained my finger really badly and stupidly kept it in a splint for weeks which, of course, caused the joints to freeze and made me look like I was always trying to correct someone.

I went to a physical therapist who put me on weeks of excruciating exercises to get mobility back. She was truly shocked when I came back for another appointment and had nearly full mobility back, and she said she really didn't expect most of her patients to do exactly as she said Smile

A doctor who is imprecise in his advice is looking for a medical malpractice lawsuit. 'Wrong' is wrong, no matter in which direction it leans. If a doctor tells you to do more than what's necessary, he's giving bad advice.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:27 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

But you are right...medical science, mostly, does not use 'causation', but rather 'association.'  They avoid using terms like X causes Y, and prefer to use things like Y is associated with X.  It is simply a statistical pairing, whereas causation and correlation require more explanation.

we don't know what causes All types of Cancer but we know that the some are 'caused' by cells mutated by the carbon radiation..  Skin Cancer is the most obvious example and lung cancer where the chance of cancer greatly increase with exposure to the 'burnt' carbon molecule. Bowel Cancer is quite probably another.

Other like Cervical Cancer are 'caused' the papillomaviruses
http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/1060/cancer-information/cancer-risk-and-prevention/screening-and-early-detection/cervical-cancer-vaccine-fact-sheet/
Human papillomaviruses (HPV) are the major cause of cervical cancer in women.  Genital warts and some cancers in males are related to HPV, including most anal cancer, and some cancers of the penis, head and neck.

The HPV vaccine triggers the formation of antibodies to produce immunity and therefore protects the body from disease.

They don't like to use the term Cause because people are idiots and don't understand the variable threshold and balanced with other factors..  Seriously we got to the point were we had kids with Vitamin D deficiencies because people were told Skin cancer is caused by going out in the sun particularly as a kid..  so Mums stopped kids going out into the sun with out slathering on Sun screen.. to the point it was literally making them sick from one of the things that should be literally impossible in a country like Australia
http://raisingboysinoz.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/slip-slop-slap-gone-too-far.html

The skin cancer aware message of the campaign has so successfully been absorbed into the Australian psyche that people who are always slipping on a shirt, slopping on the 30+ sunscreen and slapping on a hat may in fact be exposing themselves to the sun more than non-sunscreen users. So, if they are not applying the sunscreen correctly, they might be more prone to develop skin cancer. And if they are, they might belong to the 30% to 70% of the Australian population with a vitamin D deficiency, which has also been linked to colon, breast and prostate cancer, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and other diseases.

If you're one of those Australians who is not getting enough vitamin D because you cover yourself with sunscreen and all its potentially harmful chemicals, you can always get vitamin D supplements, which might upset your stomach, but then you can take more tablets to remedy that...

No veye, they don't like the word 'cause' because it is a metaphysical term, like god or heaven.  Causation implied a purpose, and nature has no purpose.  Nature is only chance and necessity.  Mutations take place; things in the universe bump into each other; mum is grouchy this morning...we don't ask why because there is no answer to the question why?  It is all encapsulated in the 1960's phrase: shit happens!

Next, correlation is a statistical relationship, and requires an ordinal, if not a ratio relationship between two or more variables.  The term means 'co' and 'relationship,' as expressed numerically.  In other words, we must count things and in order to count one has to have a scale.  This requirement suffers from the fact that there is no known, naturally occurring scale in the universe.  Once again, infinity prevents a zero, and without a zero there can be no ratio, and without ratio, there is no scale.

Thus practical sciences must settle for association.  If you take a look at any medical study, you will see the word 'associated' instead as 'cause' or 'correlated.'  That is because we don't know what causation is and there is no zero point by which to establish a numerical scale by which to count and determine a ratio relationship.  In any medical report, look and you will note it uses the term 'association.'

@Ben: The problem is not the relative harm of nicotine versus e-cigarettes, but the issue of addiction itself.  Scientists are becoming aware that so far from alcohol or nicotine being the problem, that addiction is itself a disease.

You may remember that Congressman Patrick Kennedy (son of Robert Kennedy) acknowledged having bipolar disorder and being a recovering alcoholic and drug-user.  Many remember an incident where he was arrested on Capital Hill by Capital police, and suspected of intoxication.  However, it turned out that he had been on prescription medications.  It was then that it was revealed that he was a sufferer of addiction, and that addiction moves from one substance to the next such that one cannot speak of alcoholism, drugs or smoking...the disease is a propensity to addiction.  He had been through them all, but his single disease was addictive behavior.

Well, there you have e-cigs.  The disease isn't between this addiction versus that addiction.  If you have addictive propensities--and some argue that all people do--to switch from one drug to another is simply to perpetuate the problem.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:58 pm

I use a vaping device as opposed to an e-cig. I am down to 3mg of nicotine after giving up cigarettes 16 months ago and hope by Christmas to be down to zero. yes I'm still getting nicotine but NO TAR OR CARBON which are the big problems. the vapour I produce is water vapour nothing more.

Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:34 pm

Cass wrote:I use a vaping device as opposed to an e-cig. I am down to 3mg of nicotine after giving up cigarettes 16 months ago and hope by Christmas to be down to zero. yes I'm still getting nicotine but NO TAR OR CARBON which are the big problems. the vapour I produce is water vapour nothing more.

so finally you admit it cass.....you spout a load of hot air Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz ://?roflmao?/:

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:01 pm

Lone Wolf wrote::\\:[: CARBON is a problem ?   Since when..
WE are carbon-based lifeforms, after all !!!
Don't confuse plain carbon with carbon monoxide, (nor excessive atmospheric CO2..)..

Nicotine inhalers and nicotine patches are a con job ~ designed solely to keep their customers buying the tobacco companies products..

MY father and one of my grandfathers both gave up smoking "cold turkey"; and stayed off the coffin nalis for the remainder of their lives.
A grandmother, an uncle and an aunty all died from cigarette smoking.

I have never yet met anybody who has given up smoking permanently using any of these "wean yourself off.." products ~ they all eventually fall back into their old habits. Enriching the tobacco companies that little more every day..    Evil or Very Mad

Actually it is certain Carbon isotopes... i.e specific configurations of carbon atoms
One of my Grandmothers smoked like a chimney until she was 92 and they made her quit in the nursing home and she died 3 months later
I have meet someone that has quit smoking of the wean yourself products... but they are now addicted to chewing gum Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:10 am

victorisnotamused wrote:
Cass wrote:I use a vaping device as opposed to an e-cig. I am down to 3mg of nicotine after giving up cigarettes 16 months ago and hope by Christmas to be down to zero. yes I'm still getting nicotine but NO TAR OR CARBON which are the big problems. the vapour I produce is water vapour nothing more.

so finally you admit it cass.....you spout a load of hot air Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz ://?roflmao?/:

Shaddup .....you now have to give me your kitchen and build another one for Mrs. V
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down