NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gangs raking in thousands from the rising tide of wildlife crime

2 posters

Go down

Gangs raking in thousands from the rising tide of wildlife crime Empty Gangs raking in thousands from the rising tide of wildlife crime

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:38 am

Gangs raking in thousands from the rising tide of wildlife crime Hare-coursing-which-is-il-011
Hare-coursing, which is illegal in the UK, can generate thousands for criminal gangs. Photograph: Alamy

Poaching, poisoning and the theft of animals may sound like activities from Britain's past, but modern gangs are muscling in on the act.

A new report claims the scale of the problem is being hidden and that gangs are making large sums of money from illegal activities such as hare-coursing, raking in up to £10,000 a month in one case, while poaching of fish and deer is common and as likely to happen in urban parks as in the countryside.

In the report published this week – the first such work to look at the broad range of wildlife crime in the UK – the charity World Animal Protection (WAP) says it presents a worrying picture of how the problem is affecting not only the individual animals and fish but also our biodiversity.

The fact that statistics on wildlife crime, from badger-baiting to disruption of habitats, are not being collated by police forces is a major stumbling block to tackling the crimes, says the charity.

While people will pay high prices for creatures and wildlife products smuggled in from abroad – powdered rhino horn is worth more than cocaine or gold at £40,000 a kilo – a large live carp can fetch £12,000 for a poacher and a deer £200, and the government is being urged to get its own house in order and look after British wildlife.

Alyx Elliott, campaigns manager at WAP (formerly the World Society for the Protection of Animals), said polling by the charity on public awareness of the issue had been startling. "It really brought to life for us how low awareness is in the UK; 86% of the public didn't know that the police had wildlife crime officers. If they don't know that – if they don't know that this is a crime – then the big worry is that they won't be reporting it."

Currently, police forces are not required to keep separate statistics on such incidents.

Read More :http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/aug/10/wildlife-crime-alarms-conservation-group-poaching-hare-coursing

Well I'm ashamed to admit I had no idea of the extent of this type of crime in the UK  Sad

Back to top Go down

Gangs raking in thousands from the rising tide of wildlife crime Empty Re: Gangs raking in thousands from the rising tide of wildlife crime

Post by eddie Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:05 pm

Wow!! That's horrible.
I never knew it existed either.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Gangs raking in thousands from the rising tide of wildlife crime Empty Re: Gangs raking in thousands from the rising tide of wildlife crime

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:06 pm

eddie wrote:Wow!! That's horrible.
I never knew it existed either.

I've always associated wildlife crime with more exotic animals  Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by harvesmom Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:09 pm

I know there are a few gangs badger baiting in the fields near us, I have no idea what they do with them I assume its just for sport.

If I see them I report them to the police, who turn up about 3 days later....
harvesmom
harvesmom
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:13 pm

harvesmom wrote:I know there are a few gangs badger baiting in the fields near us, I have no idea what they do with them I assume its just for sport.

The police are as useless as the RSPCA who are just as useless as a turd in a bird bath.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:05 pm

eddie wrote:
harvesmom wrote:I know there are a few gangs badger baiting in the fields near us, I have no idea what they do with them I assume its just for sport.

The police are as useless as the RSPCA who are just as useless as a turd in a bird bath.

Couldn't agree more

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down