NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used cigarette butts make better energy-storage materials than anything on the market

+3
Raggamuffin
Lone Wolf
Ben Reilly
7 posters

Go down

Used cigarette butts make better energy-storage materials than anything on the market Empty Used cigarette butts make better energy-storage materials than anything on the market

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:29 pm

Cigarettes are not only bad for your health, they're also bad for the environment. Used cigarette butts are the most frequently littered item, regularly discarded on sidewalks and out of car windows, making their way into waterways. It's estimated that about 5.6 million used cigarettes -- 766,571 metric tons -- are deposited into the environment worldwide each year.

A group of South Korean researchers have found a way to not only divert some of those used cigarette butts from ending up in the environment, but also a way to make them into something useful. They've found that the cellulose acetate that makes up most of the material in a cigarette butt can easily be changed into a carbon-based material that out-performs common materials used in energy storage devices.

"Our study has shown that used-cigarette filters can be transformed into a high-performing carbon-based material using a simple one step process, which simultaneously offers a green solution to meeting the energy demands of society.

"Numerous countries are developing strict regulations to avoid the trillions of toxic and non-biodegradable used-cigarette filters that are disposed of into the environment each year—our method is just one way of achieving this," said Professor Jongheop Yi, from Seoul National University.

The researchers were able to transform the cellulose acetate into a carbon-based material with a simple burning technique called pyrolysis. After the technique, the carbon-based material had lots of tiny pores that allowed it to acta as a high-performing supercapacitive material.

http://www.treehugger.com/clean-technology/used-cigarette-butts-turned-energy-storage-material.html
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Used cigarette butts make better energy-storage materials than anything on the market Empty Re: Used cigarette butts make better energy-storage materials than anything on the market

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:24 pm

Lone Wolf wrote:Laughing 

A "green solution" to the problem of cigarette butts ???

Yeh, right..

Many of those tech' head researchers - and their ever-faithful legions of lapdog science/technology reporters - really don't have a clue !   alien 

More to say have you, LW? Hmmmmm?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Used cigarette butts make better energy-storage materials than anything on the market Empty Re: Used cigarette butts make better energy-storage materials than anything on the market

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:27 pm

You get fined here for dropping your --- end on the floor. I never do it.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:28 pm

Haha! Cigarette end.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:28 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Haha! Cigarette end.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Sorry, you ran afoul of the Alakaka Corollary Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:28 am

I hate litter with a passion!
Cigarette butts and chewing gum are the worst offenders.

As to the idea that butts can be useful....hmmmmm. Not sure I run with that idea.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:35 am

Thinking of moving. Was going to stop the ol' habit again. Having read this I will continue. Buck house look alike here I come. It will be held together with removed wrigleys.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:39 am

Butt out Gerbs  Razz 

Hahahaha sorry, best I could come up with so early
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:47 am

eddie wrote:Butt out Gerbs  Razz 

Ha ha ha too very good.

Actually I'm really on fire this morn. Ashtray nearly full. So many lists and junour doesn't know where his new sunglasses are
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:55 am

gerber wrote:
eddie wrote:Butt out Gerbs  Razz 

Ha ha ha too very good.

Actually I'm really on fire this morn. Ashtray nearly full.  So many lists and junour doesn't know where his new sunglasses are

OK, I'm going to get all preachy on you, in the way only an ex-smoker can do.

Please quit. I want you to live! Long, and not gasping for breath.

I tried to quit, believe me -- even tried a drug that (I didn't know at the time) makes some people into deadly psychopaths (I don't know, I just had really weird dreams).

Let me recommend e-cigarettes, if they are at this point legal in your country. I'm pretty much puffing on one all day, and I can say this -- it does not weaken my lungs, the way smoking did.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:59 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
gerber wrote:

Ha ha ha too very good.

Actually I'm really on fire this morn. Ashtray nearly full.  So many lists and junour doesn't know where his new sunglasses are

OK, I'm going to get all preachy on you, in the way only an ex-smoker can do.

Please quit. I want you to live! Long, and not gasping for breath.

I tried to quit, believe me -- even tried a drug that (I didn't know at the time) makes some people into deadly psychopaths (I don't know, I just had really weird dreams).

Let me recommend e-cigarettes, if they are at this point legal in your country. I'm pretty much puffing on one all day, and I can say this -- it does not weaken my lungs, the way smoking did.

Hi Ben. Love you.

Stopped last October did the es and patches. Was great. Had a very bad spell four weeks ago. GP has suggested I only stop after my vacation.

I 1005 % agree with you.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:03 am

E-cigs will have their own complications Ben, I think in a few years time there will be a lot of media attention to the damage they do to somewhere in your body!

Anyway Gerbs, my darling Grandfather died from COPD - chronic lung disease basically - and literally "drowned" in his own lung secretions.

Thirty years after giving up smoking.

And you,know, cigarettes are mostly psychologically addictive than physically.
I gave up by using the a bic pen; I took out the insides and sucked on it (you could use a straw) just like a ciggie, I even flicked the "ash" off.
It made me feel as though I smoked: it was weird but it sort of worked.
I also put back my first one of the day by an hour every day, until my first one was at 8pm!! Then it hardly seemed worth the bother.

Tobacco has a voice. It tells you that you're going to find it hard to give up and you believe it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:04 am

Glad to hear  I love you I love you I love you 

It's tough, though, right? I have heard it's more addictive than heroin! Which is just one more reason to be proud. Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:06 am

COPD got my dad at fucking 60. Just not fair. I don't think of the e-cigs as a magic way out, but they're doing me a lot better than smoking thus far -- and I just don't seem to be able to leave the nicotine alone. Even after my psycho-medicine, I was still using the gum.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:06 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Glad to hear  I love you I love you I love you 

It's tough, though, right? I have heard it's more addictive than heroin! Which is just one more reason to be proud. Smile

Thank you. And so yourself should be proud
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:12 am

eddie wrote:E-cigs will have their own complications Ben, I think in a few years time there will be a lot of media attention to the damage they do to somewhere in your body!

Anyway Gerbs, my darling Grandfather died from COPD - chronic lung disease basically - and literally "drowned" in his own lung secretions.

I gave up by using the a bic pen; I took out the insides and sucked on it (you could use a straw) just like a ciggie, I even flicked the "ash" off.
I also put back my first one of the day by an hour every day, until my first one was at 8pm!! Then it hardly seemed worth the bother.

Tobacco has a voice. It tells you that you're going to find it hard to give up and you believe it.

Bump for Gerbs x

And Ben, so sorry about your dad xxx
My dad died from cancer at 63. It was his eusophegas (sp!!!) which was smoke-related in all probability.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:20 am

eddie wrote:
eddie wrote:E-cigs will have their own complications Ben, I think in a few years time there will be a lot of media attention to the damage they do to somewhere in your body!

Bump for Gerbs x

My dad died from cancer at 63.  It was his eusophegas (sp!!!) which was smoke-related in all probability.

Sorry to hear, makes me second-guess my abuse of my own esophagus (haha, I can spell!) with this stuff:

Used cigarette butts make better energy-storage materials than anything on the market 41ziLPsuCML._SY300_

But in my defense, it tastes good.

And as my dad said, eating healthy doesn't make you live longer -- it just makes it feel that way Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:23 am

eddie wrote:

Bump for Gerbs x

My dad died from cancer at 63.  It was his eusophegas (sp!!!) which was smoke-related in all probability.

My father died of it eight years ago.

Mother just been diagnosed with secondaries.  I know I know I know.  Need to get head right and in and coping place.

Getting there and believe me I will stop,  Probably not use the es as they were the things that tempted me back bit by bit.

Thanks Eds
x

Sorry guys to read of your news.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:17 am

eddie wrote:I hate litter with a passion!
Cigarette butts and chewing gum are the worst offenders.

As to the idea that butts can be useful....hmmmmm. Not sure I run with that idea.

Well if they are useful, there's a good case for providing more public ashtrays so that people can put their stubs in them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:25 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Bump for Gerbs x

Sorry to hear, makes me second-guess my abuse of my own esophagus (haha, I can spell!) with this stuff:

Used cigarette butts make better energy-storage materials than anything on the market 41ziLPsuCML._SY300_

But in my defense, it tastes good.

And as my dad said, eating healthy doesn't make you live longer -- it just makes it feel that way Smile

Your dad was entirely right  cheers 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:26 am

gerber wrote:
eddie wrote:

Bump for Gerbs x

My father died of it eight years ago.

Mother just been diagnosed with secondaries.  I know I know I know.  Need to get head right and in and coping place.

Getting there and believe me I will stop,  Probably not use the es as they were the things that tempted me back bit by bit.

Thanks Eds
x

Sorry guys to read of your news.

Sorry about your mum and yes, please kick your own butt (double entendre intended!) and stop this horrid habit! Xx
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Caution Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:26 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
It's estimated that about 5.6 million used cigarettes -- 766,571 metric tons -- are deposited into the environment worldwide each year.

http://www.treehugger.com/clean-technology/used-cigarette-butts-turned-energy-storage-material.html

Hmm. So, 5.6 million cigarette butts / 766,571 metric tons = 7.3 cigarette butts per metric ton.

Don't think so!
Caution
Caution
the Ghost who mods, Lord of the Shadow realms, *may contain peanuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:50 am

Caution wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
It's estimated that about 5.6 million used cigarettes -- 766,571 metric tons -- are deposited into the environment worldwide each year.

Hmm. So, 5.6 million cigarette butts / 766,571 metric tons = 7.3 cigarette butts per metric ton.

Don't think so!

That's heavy, man ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:09 am

These figures can't be right. There are probably that many cigarette butts thrown away each day in Britain alone.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:15 am

Please do not throw cigarette butts in the urinals as they get all wet and soggy and difficult to light.

lol! 
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:59 am

Irn Bru wrote:Please do not throw cigarette butts in the urinals as they get all wet and soggy and difficult to light.

lol! 

lol! 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:48 pm

Irn Bru wrote:Please do not throw cigarette butts in the urinals as they get all wet and soggy and difficult to light.

lol! 

Used cigarette butts make better energy-storage materials than anything on the market Eeeew10  Nasty! Do you think anyone could possibly ever be THAT desperate for a smoke???!!! Used cigarette butts make better energy-storage materials than anything on the market No_fai28

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:47 pm

feelthelove wrote:

lol! 

Used cigarette butts make better energy-storage materials than anything on the market Eeeew10  Nasty! Do you think anyone could possibly ever be THAT desperate for a smoke???!!! Used cigarette butts make better energy-storage materials than anything on the market No_fai28

You never know...

Used cigarette butts make better energy-storage materials than anything on the market Restroom-Etiquette-Sign-NHE-15904_300

lol! 
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down