NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Russian hacking gang grabs more than one BILLION Internet account passwords

2 posters

Go down

Russian hacking gang grabs more than one BILLION Internet account passwords Empty Russian hacking gang grabs more than one BILLION Internet account passwords

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:37 pm

In what's believed to be the largest stockpile of stolen Internet credentials in history, a Russian hacking ring has gathered more than 1.2 billion unique Internet credentials, according to Web security experts. The relatively small group has reportedly collected passwords along with user names and email addresses.

"This year is already on track to be the year of the mega-mega breach," Orla Cox, director of security response for the anti-virus software company, Symantec.

The news was first reported by The New York Times, which says the group attacked all kinds of websites to steal data: large and small, and in countries from Russia to the U.S. and elsewhere.

Milwaukee-based Hold Security confirms to NPR it discovered the breach. The confidential material was gathered from more than 420,000 websites, ranging from small operations to those of major corporations.

Hold Security hasn't revealed which businesses are vulnerable, in part because of nondisclosure agreements and in part because many of their websites remain vulnerable. Security experts say it's unclear what the hackers will do with the data, so it's smart to go ahead and change your passwords.

"I think all Internet users should assume they've been impacted by this," says Cox. "Clearly these aren't opportunists, they aren't hobbyists. These are full time cyber-criminals they have been likely carrying this out for a number of months, maybe even years."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/08/05/338116845/1-2-billion-web-credentials-said-to-be-in-russian-gang-s-hands

Change your passwords pronto!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Russian hacking gang grabs more than one BILLION Internet account passwords Empty Re: Russian hacking gang grabs more than one BILLION Internet account passwords

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:42 pm

!!!!!********!!!!!!!!********!!!!!!!****** FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Russian hacking gang grabs more than one BILLION Internet account passwords Empty Re: Russian hacking gang grabs more than one BILLION Internet account passwords

Post by eddie Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:05 pm

Should I be worried?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:18 pm

eddie wrote:Should I be worried?

Don't know Eds, I now have new lap top OH got me bless him after mine went bang and a pooter company is going to take all my pictures and writing off my old one if they can.   I'll be devastated if they can't, has all my pics of grandparents, daughters and son, Mum and Dad and grandchildren when they were tiny and are going to see if they can find out what happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:40 am

Also a good reason to get an external hard drive -- they're not expensive and come in really handy for saving stuff you've got to keep regardless of your current hardware. But they do fail, I had a LaCie one that crapped out on me and I lost a lot of files ...

But I'd say yeah, be worried and look at it this way -- if one-seventh of the world population had internet access (which is not even close), one out of every seven people would be at risk. Right now I'm thinking it's closer to one-fourth. In fact, this is not even Ben who's posting this right now. My name's actually Ivan. Howdy!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:07 am

Sassy wrote:
eddie wrote:Should I be worried?

Don't know Eds, I now have new lap top OH got me bless him after mine went bang and a pooter company is going to take all my pictures and writing off my old one if they can.   I'll be devastated if they can't, has all my pics of grandparents, daughters and son, Mum and Dad and grandchildren when they were tiny and are going to see if they can find out what happened.

Gawd I hope that they can do that for you! How awful if you lose all that personal stuff.

Technology can be our friend but also our enemy.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:08 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Also a good reason to get an external hard drive -- they're not expensive and come in really handy for saving stuff you've got to keep regardless of your current hardware. But they do fail, I had a LaCie one that crapped out on me and I lost a lot of files ...

But I'd say yeah, be worried and look at it this way -- if one-seventh of the world population had internet access (which is not even close), one out of every seven people would be at risk. Right now I'm thinking it's closer to one-fourth. In fact, this is not even Ben who's posting this right now. My name's actually Ivan. Howdy!

Suspect 

Hmmmm you sound a lot cleverer than that Ben anyway mate.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:18 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Also a good reason to get an external hard drive -- they're not expensive and come in really handy for saving stuff you've got to keep regardless of your current hardware. But they do fail, I had a LaCie one that crapped out on me and I lost a lot of files ...

Suspect 

Ben the admin here is Benny The Simpleton. Get it?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:23 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Suspect 

Ben the admin here is Benny The Simpleton. Get it?

Nope. I could hardly read it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down