NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

U.S. fast-food workers unite in Chicago, pledge 'whatever it takes' for $15/hour minimum wage

2 posters

Go down

U.S. fast-food workers unite in Chicago, pledge 'whatever it takes' for $15/hour minimum wage Empty U.S. fast-food workers unite in Chicago, pledge 'whatever it takes' for $15/hour minimum wage

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:43 pm

U.S. fast-food workers unite in Chicago, pledge 'whatever it takes' for $15/hour minimum wage 0dd7b561-d1eb-42a9-a3e5-61197763a8f2-460x276

More than 1,000 fast-food workers gathered outside Chicago on Friday for a two-day convention which aimed to celebrate recent successes in the campaign for increased workers’ rights and drum up energy and ideas for the next wave of demonstrations.

Workers pledged to do “whatever it takes” to reach the campaign’s goal of a $15 (£9) per hour minimum wage and the right to form a union without fear of retribution from employers.

"I personally think we need to get more workers involved and shut these businesses down until they listen to us," Cherri Delisline, a McDonald’s employee from Charleston, South Carolina, told the Associated Press.

Delisline, a single mother, said she has worked at the world’s largest fast food chain for 10 years and now made $7.35 hour.

"We make the owners enough money that they have houses and cars and their kids are taken care of,” Delisline said. “Why don't [they] make sure I can be able to do the same for my kids and my family?"

Workers discussed ideas for the next wave of protests, including boycotts, sit-ins and other acts of civil disobedience. The convention in Villa Park, a suburb of Chicago, was believed to be the first of its kind.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/26/fast-food-workers-minimum-15-per-hour-union-rights

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message