NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering

2 posters

Go down

The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering Empty The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:13 am

The Greeks tell a story against themselves about their tendency to believe in conspiracy theories. They relate how God decided that he would give every nation as a gift a special national characteristic. On the appointed day, representatives of the nations of the world entered the divine presence and were handed their gifts. The Americans received optimism, the French elegance, the British stoicism, the Russians courage, the Iranians cunning, and so on.

The Greek delegation was delayed and arrived late just as the other nations were leaving. God apologised and explained to them that he was sorry but he had already given away the most desirable characteristics and there were none left. The Greeks were enraged and protested furiously, shouting "so you too, God, have joined the plot against us as we always expected you would. Go on, tell us who is paying you and why do you conspire against us?" Angered in turn, God said: "Very well, you Greeks will have a gift in keeping with your accusations. In future, it will be part of your national character to always believe in conspiracy to explain everything that happens to you."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-truth-about-conspiracy-theories-is-that-some-require-considering-9616863.html

I have little time for conspiracy theories yet always still read up on them, though for some reason, there maybe some truth within this one and only time will tell and it is a fascinating read.

Back to top Go down

The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering Empty Re: The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:22 am

Very interesting ...

Conspiracy theories often stem from joining up dots that are really quite separate. This is done by asking "cui bono?" or "who benefits" from an event and then assuming that the beneficiary must be secretly behind whatever has happened.

I find the opposite is often true. When you think about the conspiracy theories behind the missing Malaysian flight, for example, ask "who benefits?" and the theories don't make any sense.

So sure, some conspiracy theories are true -- such as the one that a bunch of al-Qaeda conspired together to bring about the 9/11 attacks. But the one that includes George W. Bush as a player in the attacks is ridiculous. So they all require thinking through.

Nothing should be dismissed on its face, but only in light of reason and evidence.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering Empty Re: The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:26 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Very interesting ...

Conspiracy theories often stem from joining up dots that are really quite separate. This is done by asking "cui bono?" or "who benefits" from an event and then assuming that the beneficiary must be secretly behind whatever has happened.

I find the opposite is often true. When you think about the conspiracy theories behind the missing Malaysian flight, for example, ask "who benefits?" and the theories don't make any sense.

So sure, some conspiracy theories are true -- such as the one that a bunch of al-Qaeda conspired together to bring about the 9/11 attacks. But the one that includes George W. Bush as a player in the attacks is ridiculous. So they all require thinking through.

Nothing should be dismissed on its face, but only in light of reason and evidence.

True, but many are just complete crackpot and when you research into many they are exactly that, loony, some have little bases to them, which are started based off a single point and then grown from this single point by inventing the rest, which is where many of them are completely ridiculous. As I say some have validity and this could be interesting Ben and I never dismiss something without first looking into this, I am very much of a great reader into unorthodox ancient history, hence why I keep an open mind, mainly as I think Civilization started much earlier.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:31 am

Any particular reason this is in the Mid. East?

Apart from the fact the Head of Mossad talked about three teenagers being kidnapped the week before they were?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:33 am

Sassy wrote:Any particular reason this is in the Mid. East?

Apart from the fact the Head of Mossad talked about three teenagers being kidnapped the week before they were?

The article is about Isis, Syria, Iraq and the Palestine conflict, where else would it be?

Did you actually read it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:40 am

I also think that conspiracy theories satisfy some psychological needs, which many people don't often acknowlege:

* Conspiracy theories make people feel as though they are special and in possession of special knowledge that most people don't have. This makes them feel smarter and more open-minded. They tell themselves they aren't "sheep" like everyone else.

* Conspiracy theories add color to what can be, admittedly, a rather boring modern-day existence. It's not really exciting to do your job, take out your garbage, pay your taxes. It's much more exciting to envision yourself on the "good" side of a struggle between good and evil. In this way, spreading conspiracy theories can make someone feel as though they're serving a higher, and just, purpose than they do processing forms or delivering the mail.

* Conspiracy theories frame existence in black and white -- you're either on the right side or the wrong side. This approach avoids all that tedious thinking and requires no contemplation of the complex, chaotic, anarchic way the world actually works, where it's impossible to tell, for example, if the pro-Assad forces or anti-Assad forces are "better." You get to pick a good guy, do something to "help" and sleep easier.

I think most people who adhere to conspiracies are trying to avoid complexity and make themselves feel special -- but, complicating the matter, is the fact that some conspiracies are true, and some people who spread them are right Smile Truth resists simple explanation!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:41 am

If you check out the whole article Didge is linking to, it does speak specifically about some of the theories surrounding ISIS. I think it's legit for this category.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:43 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

If you check out the whole article Didge is linking to, it does speak specifically about some of the theories surrounding ISIS. I think it's legit for this category.

No worries, read your post basically.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:43 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:I also think that conspiracy theories satisfy some psychological needs, which many people don't often acknowlege:

* Conspiracy theories make people feel as though they are special and in possession of special knowledge that most people don't have. This makes them feel smarter and more open-minded. They tell themselves they aren't "sheep" like everyone else.

* Conspiracy theories add color to what can be, admittedly, a rather boring modern-day existence. It's not really exciting to do your job, take out your garbage, pay your taxes. It's much more exciting to envision yourself on the "good" side of a struggle between good and evil. In this way, spreading conspiracy theories can make someone feel as though they're serving a higher, and just, purpose than they do processing forms or delivering the mail.

* Conspiracy theories frame existence in black and white -- you're either on the right side or the wrong side. This approach avoids all that tedious thinking and requires no contemplation of the complex, chaotic, anarchic way the world actually works, where it's impossible to tell, for example, if the pro-Assad forces or anti-Assad forces are "better." You get to pick a good guy, do something to "help" and sleep easier.

I think most people who adhere to conspiracies are trying to avoid complexity and make themselves feel special -- but, complicating the matter, is the fact that some conspiracies are true, and some people who spread them are right Smile Truth resists simple explanation!

Meant to add, I think that religion satisfies a lot of those same needs. Far more comforting to think of oneself as special and on the right side of a struggle between good and evil, than to think you're really no more than a cockroach, who could indeed be squashed from existence just as inconsequentially.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:45 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Seriously Ben, can you tell her to butt out would be more appropriate, this is your forum and I guess she wants to keep flooding the mid east section with propaganda to hate Jews articles, hence her protest over an interesting article. She is not a mod and there is a report facility and posts like that just spoil the thread including me responding to this

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:48 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:I also think that conspiracy theories satisfy some psychological needs, which many people don't often acknowlege:

Meant to add, I think that religion satisfies a lot of those same needs. Far more comforting to think of oneself as special and on the right side of a struggle between good and evil, than to think you're really no more than a cockroach, who could indeed be squashed from existence just as inconsequentially.

Interesting but as I say Ben most conspiracies are based off one point and then many more grow from this which have little or no connection, where people just try to make something fit where there is no evidence to even connect them, other than a crack pot theory, some though do have some bases and which is why I posted this one really and if there really is something very underfoot about ISIS altogether.

Totally agree on the religious aspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:50 am

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Seriously Ben, can you tell her to butt out would be more appropriate, this is your forum and I guess she wants to keep flooding the mid east section with propaganda to hate Jews articles, hence her protest over an interesting article. She is not a mod and there is a report facility and posts like that just spoil the thread including me responding to this  

Stop having a paddy, if I want to comment on a thread I will.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:52 am

Sassy wrote:
Didge wrote:

lol a paddy, like you id when I educated you on the bombing offensive in WW2.

The reality is there is a report facility, which I should have just used also, stop spoiling threads that are not about your antisemitism!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:52 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:

Agree with that, but I do sometimes wonder if some, and only some, theories are based on a nugget of truth that simply does not fit in with the information given about a situation, if people notice that nugget, they are going to question the rest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:54 am

Didge wrote:
Sassy wrote:

The reality is there is a report facility, which I should have just used also, stop spoiling threads that are not about your antisemitism!

Erm, aren't you spoiling your thread? If I'm antisemitic, then so are all the Jews saying the same thing, who have been saying it for a long time, and they are now saying it in every country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:58 am

Sassy wrote:
Didge wrote:

Erm, aren't you spoiling your thread?   If I'm antisemitic, then so are all the Jews saying the same thing, who have been saying it for a long time, and they are now saying it in every country.

Incorrect, you are very antisemitic posting shite like comparisons to concentration camps, you must post at least 5 - 10 anti Jewish threads daily and yet we do not even see a comparison to other areas of far worse problems of innocent Muslims dying for example in Syria and Iraq It screams to me you are very much antisemitic, because you do not want peace, you drive an agenda of hate against Israel whilst ignoring the fact Hamas are extremists and say nothing of their wrongs. At least I admit when Israel does wrongs and condemn them for it

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:01 am

Let's leave the sniping aside, please? You guys are distracting from some incredibly awesome insights I made  lol! 
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:02 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Let's leave the sniping aside, please? You guys are distracting from some incredibly awesome insights I made  lol! 

No problem Ben and lets get this back on track so what do you make of the claims being made?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:04 am

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Let's leave the sniping aside, please? You guys are distracting from some incredibly awesome insights I made  lol! 

No problem Ben and lets get this back on track so what do you make of the claims being made?

I'm afraid I'll have to say, on that question, that I don't feel I know nearly enough to weigh in on those claims with anything besides an armchair quarterback's opinion (now there's an American phrase you lot might not understand!)
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:06 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

I'm afraid I'll have to say, on that question, that I don't feel I know nearly enough to weigh in on those claims with anything besides an armchair quarterback's opinion (now there's an American phrase you lot might not understand!)

I will take a stab at someone who thinks they know the game but have never played it through experience or gone to any games?

We call it here just an armchair supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:09 am

The one about religion, spot on.   After all, it makes the person feel 'special', that they know something other people don't.   Perhaps conspiracy theory should be regarded as a new religion lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:11 am

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

I will take a stab at someone who thinks they know the game but have never played it through experience or gone to any games?

Bingo! I was sure it had a British analogy; I learned from a French employee I used to have that they say simple things are something "you can do with a finger in your nose." I didn't need that one explained Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:12 am

Sassy wrote:

The one about religion, spot on.   After all, it makes the person feel 'special', that they know something other people don't.   Perhaps conspiracy theory should be regarded as a new religion lol

I think it is very much a religious tendency; good call! There are works about people substituting aliens for God, etc. It just fills a need that some people can't seem to get along without. Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:13 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

Bingo! I was sure it had a British analogy; I learned from a French employee I used to have that they say simple things are something "you can do with a finger in your nose." I didn't need that one explained Smile

Armchair supporters make me laugh and are by far the most critical and biggest moaners about their own teams
Did you watch any good sport this weekend?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:15 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Sassy wrote:

I think it is very much a religious tendency; good call! There are works about people substituting aliens for God, etc. It just fills a need that some people can't seem to get along without. Smile

Well the Sunday paper has just dropped through the door, so I'm taking it, and coffee's for me and him back to bed for a while. It is Sunday after all!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:17 am

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

Armchair supporters make me laugh and are by far the most critical and biggest moaners about their own teams

Just tonight, actually! FC Dallas defeated the New England Revolution 2-0 at home tonight. The Revs are a pretty good team and those 3 points may have vaulted us into second place!

The goals were pretty too, though I was thinking, after watching all the World Cup action, that the quality of play looked ... to be kind ... a little shitty, to be honest.

I was wondering, do British football supporters feel the same way watching EPL after the World Cup? Probably not as much as we Americans ... (hangs head in shame)
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:18 am

Sassy wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Well the Sunday paper has just dropped through the door, so I'm taking it, and coffee's for me and him back to bed for a while.   It is Sunday after all!

Sunday here, too! 1:17 a.m. actually. Hey, we have a few things in common Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:20 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Well the Sunday paper has just dropped through the door, so I'm taking it, and coffee's for me and him back to bed for a while.   It is Sunday after all!

Sunday here, too! 1:17 a.m. actually. Hey, we have a few things in common Smile

Fancy that lol.

C U Later.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:22 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

Just tonight, actually! FC Dallas defeated the New England Revolution 2-0 at home tonight. The Revs are a pretty good team and those 3 points may have vaulted us into second place!

The goals were pretty too, though I was thinking, after watching all the World Cup action, that the quality of play looked ... to be kind ... a little shitty, to be honest.

I was wondering, do British football supporters feel the same way watching EPL after the World Cup? Probably not as much as we Americans ... (hangs head in shame)

Most supporters when the world up finishes cannot wait for the football premiership to start again and are constantly talking about new signings, me myself I am itching for it to start, so by then it is a few weeks gone before the new season starts, they have then had time to adjust
It is bound to happen if after watching some of the best players in the world play some fantastic football, still, I actually like here in the Uk watching some of the local non-league teams, they get around 500- 1000 supporters an can be some really good games to watch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:26 am

Ah, I'm getting all excited about it again just thinking about it. Here's a highlight clip:

I think that was our keeper Raul Fernadez's first clean sheet of the year!

By the way, point of interest (possibly) to our British members, we have a friendly vs. Aston Villa on Wednesday. I hope I get to see that ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:30 am

Both very good goals especially the first one, seems like you were all over the opposition or was it more countering them on the break?

If you play like that you will easily beat Villa

::D:: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:31 am

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

Most supporters when the world up finishes cannot wait for the football premiership to start again and are constantly talking about new signings, me myself I am itching for it to start, so by then it is a few weeks gone before the new season starts, they have then had time to adjust
It is bound to happen if after watching some of the best players in the world play some fantastic football, still, I actually like here in the Uk watching some of the local non-league teams, they get around 500- 1000 supporters an can be some really good games to watch.

I always forget about how we have different seasons ... anyway, the break was good for FC Dallas too, we're using the young Argentine striker Mauro Diaz as a super-sub now, as he's coming off an injury that a lot of us thought was going to put him out for the rest of the season! Talented little devil he is, I think he's just 20 ... we had an incredible streak at the beginning of the year before he got injured, now it's breathed a lot of life and momentum back into the team, I think we've now gotten four wins and a tie in our last five MLS games, and I just checked -- we've jumped from fifth place to second!!!!!!!!!!! Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:33 am

Didge wrote:Both very good goals especially the first one, seems like you were all over the opposition or was it more countering them on the break?

If you play like that you will easily beat Villa

The counters have been crisp and robust this year. That said, New England has been slumping, but really, we've done that (I say that like I'm on the team) against better foes this year.

Got a new manager this year, Oscar Pareja, who used to be on the team back in the late 90s. I think he's doing a splendid job of getting the team to play a more possession-oriented style and has really picked up the defense.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:34 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

I always forget about how we have different seasons ... anyway, the break was good for FC Dallas too, we're using the young Argentine striker Mauro Diaz as a super-sub now, as he's coming off an injury that a lot of us thought was going to put him out for the rest of the season! Talented little devil he is, I think he's just 20 ... we had an incredible streak at the beginning of the year before he got injured, now it's breathed a lot of life and momentum back into the team, I think we've now gotten four wins and a tie in our last five MLS games, and I just checked -- we've jumped from fifth place to second!!!!!!!!!!! Smile

You have clasped my attention Ben, would be interested to see more, they seem a good team, though is difficult to tell from short highlights and not seeing if the opposition is any good, but from what I watched the goals came from some very good skill, especially the first one and you could have scored more if not for their Goalkeeper.

Well done on moving up the table, you may end up persuading me to be a supporter, as I really enjoyed that clip.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:36 am

Anyway have to go, so you should post some more highlights on the sport thread when ever they play, as am sure others would be interested to see..

Catch you later and all the best

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:42 am

By the way, you don't see it in that clip, but at every home game there's a contingent displaying the Union Jack, British ex-pats who support FC Dallas now:

The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering R-LANDON-DONOVAN-GALAXY-large570

We've got a lot of former Brits here in the area, they swear they love the heat Smile

Here's the British Emporium grocery store in Grapevine, Texas:

The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering DSC8086

Last edited by Ben_Reilly on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:44 am

Didge wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

You have clasped my attention Ben, would be interested to see more, they seem a good team, though is difficult to tell from short highlights and not seeing if the opposition is any good, but from what I watched the goals came from some very good skill, especially the first one and you could have scored more if not for their Goalkeeper.

Well done on moving up the table, you may end up persuading me to be a supporter, as I really enjoyed that clip.

Thanks! I will resist the apparent American temptation to support Arsenal, however Smile

Because I will never walk alone:

The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering Tumblr_l7mi85I0ul1qa6r3oo1_400
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:48 am

Just one last post about that game and then I'll shut up about it, promise -- yes, that Escobar goal was really nice. I think you'll notice in that highlight clip that they also managed to include just about every nifty heel-pass our guys pulled off as well Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

Thanks! I will resist the apparent American temptation to support Arsenal, however Smile

Because I will never walk alone:

The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering Tumblr_l7mi85I0ul1qa6r3oo1_400

We all have some faults buddy including me, I guess yours is supporting Liverpool.

lol! 

Cool about all the Brits you have supporting also..

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:47 pm

If you think about it, one of the greatest conspiracy theories of the last centure was O J Simson did it.  According to a jury that was not true.  Yet people to this day still believe it.

A theory is a proposition that pulls together diverse facts to draw a conclusion.  To conspire means, seeming to be working together to bring about a particular result, typically to someone's detriment.

A conspiracy theory is a theory about a conspiracy:

Wiki wrote:A conspiracy theory is an explanatory proposition that accuses two or more persons, a group, or an organization of having caused or covered up, through secret planning and deliberate action, an illegal or harmful event or situation.

The idea originated in law enforcement, and conspiracy laws are still on the books everywhere.  So the idea is still quite legitimate.

The term has taken on a new meaning of late.  It seems to mean that extraordinary events have extraordinary causes, and have nothing to do with alleged conspirators bringing them about.  Flying saucers?  Bigfoot?  We seem to confuse people conspiring to believe things, with people conspiring to cause things.

That Kennedy was assassinated by Cubans is a conspiracy theory.  That flying saucers or Bigfoot exist, is not a conspiracy theory. That we don't know what caused the disappearance of Flight 370 is a non-theory.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down