NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gaza is a concentration camp, and it’s an American delusion not to recognize that — Weschler

2 posters

Go down

Gaza is a concentration camp, and it’s an American delusion not to recognize that — Weschler Empty Gaza is a concentration camp, and it’s an American delusion not to recognize that — Weschler

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Lawrence Weschler, a writer of considerable mainstream prestige, is sick of prevaricating about Israel. It’s rabid. It has rabies. And Gaza is a concentration camp. Weschler has let loose chiefly because of the “remorseless” and “repetitively compulsive” aspect of Israeli violence. I believe that understanding is now widely shared in the liberal mainstream, and interventions like Weschler’s make it easier for others to speak up. From Truthdig:

I know, I know, and I am bone tired of being told it, when it comes to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, there is plenty of blame to go around, but by this point after coming on almost 50 years of Israeli stemwinding and procrastinatory obfuscation, I’d put the proportionate distribution of blame at about the same level as the mortality figures—which is, where are we today (what with Wednesday morning’s four children killed while out playing on a Gaza beach)? What, 280 to 2?

For the single overriding fact defining the Israeli-Palestinian impasse at this point is that if the Palestinians are quiescent and not engaged in any overt rebellion, the Israelis (and here I am speaking of the vast majority of the population who somehow go along with the antics of their leaders, year after year) manage to tell themselves that things are fine and there’s no urgent need to address the situation; and if, as a result, the endlessly put-upon Palestinians do finally rise up in any sort of armed resistance (rocks to rockets), the same Israelis exasperate, “How are we supposed to negotiate with monsters like this?” A wonderfully convenient formula, since it allows the Israelis to go blithely on, systematically stealing Palestinian land in the West Bank, and continuing to confine 1.8 million Gazans within what might well be described as a concentration camp.

Note, incidentally, I say “concentration camp” and not “death camp.” I am not comparing Gaza to Auschwitz-Birkenau, but one cannot help but liken the conditions today in Gaza to the sorts of conditions once faced by Japanese-Americans during World War II, or the Boers in South Africa during the Anglo-Boer War, or the black South Africans years later in such besieged townships as Soweto, or for that matter Jews and gays and gypsies at Dachau and Theresienstadt in the years before the Nazis themselves settled on their Final Solution.

And it is quite simply massively self-serving delusion that Israelis (and their enablers and abettors here in America, among whom incidentally I count a steadily declining number of American Jews) refuse to recognize that fact.

Weschler goes on to say that support for Israel is strongest in the U.S. among evangelicals. This is a standard dodge, employed by liberals, to avoid the hard reflective work of considering the power of the reactionary Jewish establishment. Does Obama care a fig about evangelicals when it comes to gay marriage or abortion? No. But here there is a unity of interest, and the power is in the Jewish establishment. Israel calls on Jews to recognize what Avram Burg said a few years back at the NY Public Library, that Jews created two structures in the wake of the Holocaust, a Jewish state and an American Jewish leadership.

For me Zionism was the scaffolding… that was supposed to help the Jewish people to rebuild, to restruct [sic] itself from an exilic reality to sovereignty. And the structure went on and on and on and on, and and now 150 and 100 and some years later, when you look around the Jewish existential reality, you realize that actually the Jewish people built two structures. One is the semi-autonomous American Jewry, which was not here 150 years ago– powerful influence, access to the corridors of power, impact on the culture, and civilization… plus the infrastructure of the community of solidarity and fraternity and support system and education etc and also the sovereignty over there in the Middle East.

http://mondoweiss.net/2014/07/concentration-delusion-recognize.html

Lawrence Weschler

Lawrence Weschler, director emeritus of the New York Institute for the Humanities (2001-2013) is a graduate of Cowell College of the University of California at Santa Cruz (1974). For over twenty years (1981-2002) he was a staff writer at The New Yorker, where his work shuttled between political tragedies and cultural comedies. He is a two-time winner of the George Polk Award (for Cultural Reporting in 1988 and Magazine Reporting in 1992) and was also a recipient of Lannan Literary Award (1998).

His books of political reportage include The Passion of Poland (1984); A Miracle, A Universe: Settling Accounts with Torturers (1990); and Calamities of Exile: Three Nonfiction Novellas (1998).

His “Passions and Wonders” series currently comprises Seeing is Forgetting the Name of the Thing One Sees: A Life of Contemporary Artist Robert Irwin (1982); David Hockney’s Cameraworks (1984); Mr. Wilson’s Cabinet of Wonder (1995); A Wanderer in the Perfect City: Selected Passion Pieces (1998) Boggs: A Comedy of Values (1999); Robert Irwin: Getty Garden (2002); Vermeer in Bosnia (2004); and Everything that Rises: A Book of Convergences (February 2006). Mr. Wilson was shortlisted for both the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Critics Circle Award; and Everything that Rises received the 2007 National Book Critics Circle Award for Criticism.

Recent books include a considerably expanded edition of Seeing is Forgetting the Name of the Thing One Sees, comprising thirty years of conversations with Robert Irwin; a companion volume, True to Life: Twenty Five Years of Conversation with David Hockney; Liza Lou (the monograph out of Rizzoli); Tara Donovan, the catalog for the artist’s recent exhibition at Boston’s Institute for Contemporary Art, and Deborah Butterfield, the catalog for a survey of the artist’s work at the LA Louver Gallery. His latest addition to “Passions and Wonders,” the collection Uncanny Valley: Adventures in the Narrative, came out from Counterpoint in October 2011.

Weschler has taught, variously, at Princeton, Columbia, UCSC, Bard, Vassar, Sarah Lawrence, and NYU, where he is now distinguished writer in residence at the Carter Journalism Institute.

From 2001 to 2013 he was director of the New York Institute for the Humanities at NYU, where he has been a fellow since 1991, and from which base he tried to start his own semiannual journal of writing and visual culture, Omnivore. He is the artistic director emeritus, still actively engaged, with the Chicago Humanities Festival. He is also a contributing editor to McSweeney’s, The Threepeeny Review, and The Virginia Quarterly Review; curator at large of the DVD quarterly Wholphin; the (recently retired) chair of the Sundance (formerly Soros) Documentary Film Fund; and director of the Ernst Toch Society, dedicated to the promulgation of the music of his grandfather, the noted Weimar emigre composer.

And he is Jewish.

Back to top Go down

Gaza is a concentration camp, and it’s an American delusion not to recognize that — Weschler Empty Re: Gaza is a concentration camp, and it’s an American delusion not to recognize that — Weschler

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Fuck me, it gets worse by the minute, when will you learn, to equate this to a concentration camp is an insult to when there was actual concentration camps and just because someone is Jewish does not make what they say as right, what it shows is they are fucking disgusting and sick also to even equate such a comparison.
People like him make matters worse and incite further hate with such bile, he is no better than Islamic extremists, no better than far right extremists, no better than any type of extremist.

He adds a view for people to look with hate towards a nation claiming something which again has no similarity, people in concentration camps were worked and starved to death for the Nazi war industry, where there was an actual final solution plan to wipe the Jews out  to equate this as an equivalent, is fucking disgusting. Even the British concentration camps were based upon a view of such a different reality and I find such articles beyond contempt, and I have no doubt any holocaust survivor would slap him in the face..

When will you learn?

Back to top Go down

Gaza is a concentration camp, and it’s an American delusion not to recognize that — Weschler Empty Re: Gaza is a concentration camp, and it’s an American delusion not to recognize that — Weschler

Post by Irn Bru Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:21 pm

He specifically said he was not comparing what was happening in Gaza to what took place in Nazi concentration camps.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:27 pm

Irn Bru wrote:He specifically said he was not comparing what was happening in Gaza to what took place in Nazi concentration camps.

Really? So British concentration camps then?
Show me the comparison from SA history?

Sorry but you are wrong, he does compare, unless you do not know the difference between the death camps and and concentration camps? 
You do realise that many camps were not death camps with gas chambers? 

So you have no idea what you are talking about, many concentration camps is where many were worked to death and through starvation, death camps like Treblinka had extermination facilities

The op writer is a fuckwit, do not go there as I will embarrass you badly on something you will have to look up you know little about Irn

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:38 pm

Didge wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:He specifically said he was not comparing what was happening in Gaza to what took place in Nazi concentration camps.

Sorry but you are wrong, he does compare, unless you do not know the difference between the death camps and and concentration camps? 

So you have no idea what you are talking about, many concentration camps is where many were worked to death and through starvation, death camps like Treblinka had extermination facilities

The op writer is a fuckwit, do not go there as I will embarrass you badly on something you will have to look up you know little about Irn

He specifically mentioned what he was comparing it with. It's in his article.

What is it that I will need to look up?

Emily Hobhouse and the tremendous work she did in bring about awareness of concentration camps?
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:43 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Didge wrote:

Emily Hobhouse and the tremendous work she did in bring about awareness of concentration camps?

Do you want to check again before I embarrass you?

I will  give you a clue, what was the first Nazi concentration camp? 

He mentions it as well in his points, which suggests you have not read what he said

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Didge wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:
Didge wrote:

He mentions it as well in his points, which suggests you have not read what he said

Why do you feel you always have to try and embarrass people?

He specifically says he is noy comparing it with Nazi concentration camps so why are you going on about Nazi concentration camps/

I'll look at your answer later and by then you may have calmed down a bit.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:54 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Didge wrote:

Why do you feel you always have to try and embarrass people?

He specifically says he is noy comparing it with Nazi concentration camps so why are you going on about Nazi concentration camps/

I'll look at your answer later and by then you may have calmed down a bit.

It is not my intent to embarrass you, hence why I have given you the option to save you from this and yet you are clueless when he does compare it to Nazi concentration camps , here let me help you.

He knows the difference between a death/extermination camp and a concentration camp, which it seems you do not. which again there is no comparison to Gaza.

Note, incidentally, I say “concentration camp” and not “death camp.” I am not comparing Gaza to Auschwitz-Birkenau, but one cannot help but liken the conditions today in Gaza to the sorts of conditions once faced by Japanese-Americans during World War II, or the Boers in South Africa during the Anglo-Boer War, or the black South Africans years later in such besieged townships as Soweto, or for that matter Jews and gays and gypsies at Dachau and Theresienstadt in the years before the Nazis themselves settled on their Final Solution. 

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:03 pm

Didge firstly did you read the article in full?

Secondly Israel is using gas to exterminate the Palestinians.

Didnt they have gas used on them?

See this is what is taking place now they have become the bullies and using the same tactics Hitler used.

Its getting there slowly and surely.........
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:06 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:Didge firstly did you read the article in full?
yes

Secondly Israel is using gas to exterminate the Palestinians.
Bullshit

Didnt they have gas used on them?

See this is what is taking place now they have become the bullies and using the same tactics Hitler used.

Its getting there slowly and surely.........
Sorry you are making an absurd comparison, people were herded off trains into facilities that looked like showers and then gassed to death, they were mislead, so no that is nothing like what took place or what you are even claiming, if it was it would be over every front page news
No media would pass up such a story or would anyone within the UN not say anything about it

Sorry do not compare one of the most appalling tragic events in history to this latest conflict, that is disgusting sexy, and why I get annoyed at such utter lies and again what I just talked about was death camps, not concentration camps

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:08 pm

Didge go and please read up about it then!

I can only show you so much material i cant make you read and understand it unfortunately!
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:09 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:Didge go and please read up about it then!

I can only show you so much material i cant make you read and understand it unfortunately!

okay show me where in Israel there is  a death camp where they gas Arabs in groups daily to death?

If you can show me that you have a comparrison

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:11 pm

Didge wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:Didge go and please read up about it then!

okay show me where in Israel there is  a death camp where they gas Arabs in groups daily to death?

Sure>>>>>>>>>

SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:14 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
Didge wrote:

Sure>>>>>>>>>

So no then, please do not compare such an event in history which has no connection today, I find it offensive and utter lies sexy. If such a thing was happening, people would be all up in arms. what I do know is Hamas cares little for its people where they do not even provide them with bomb shelters

thanks you

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:17 pm

http://avoicefrompalestine.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/gassing-palestinians-the-use-of-lethal-gas-in-occupied-palestine/

Gassing Palestinians. The use of lethal gas in occupied Palestine.

http://news.firedoglake.com/2014/07/16/israel-alleged-to-be-using-experimental-weapons-on-palestinians-in-gaza/

Israel Alleged to be using
Experimental weapons on Palestines in Gaza

Israel drops cancer-inducing bombs on Gazans | #GazaUnderAttack

http://occupiedpalestine.wordpress.com/2014/07/13/israel-drops-cancer-inducing-bombs-on-gazans-gazaunderattack/

SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:17 pm

Didge wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

Sure>>>>>>>>>

So no then, please do not compare such an event in history which has no connection today, I find it offensive and utter lies sexy. If such a thing was happening, people would be all up in arms. what I do know is Hamas cares little for its people where they do not even provide them with bomb shelters

thanks you

You really are clueless arent u!

That sign meant wait!
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:20 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:http://avoicefrompalestine.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/gassing-palestinians-the-use-of-lethal-gas-in-occupied-palestine/

Gassing Palestinians. The use of lethal gas in occupied Palestine.

http://news.firedoglake.com/2014/07/16/israel-alleged-to-be-using-experimental-weapons-on-palestinians-in-gaza/

Israel Alleged to be using
Experimental weapons on Palestines in Gaza

Israel drops cancer-inducing bombs on Gazans | #GazaUnderAttack

http://occupiedpalestine.wordpress.com/2014/07/13/israel-drops-cancer-inducing-bombs-on-gazans-gazaunderattack/

I am now truly disgusted you equate that to the death camps, which was the rounding up of thousands into gas chambers butchering them,  to now some people dying of tear gas which does not normally kill, sorry sexy that is fucking low and to claim cancer bombs  is beyond the realms of stupidity

Last edited by Didge on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:21 pm

I never said anything about camps!

I knew you wouldnt bother reading the articles!

A close mind is a VERY dangerous thing Didge.

Anyway im off to bed
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:23 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:I never said anything about camps!

I knew you wouldnt bother reading the articles!

A close mind is a VERY dangerous thing Didge.

Anyway im off to bed

For goodness sake, that is teargas, most people do not die from it, to say he was murdered is bullshit from it, he clearly had an adverse affect, which nobody could know, sorry that is poor sexy

Night

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:23 pm

Yep, don't forget the white phosphorus they dropped on Gaza, officially a Crime against Humanity.

Night SM.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:27 pm

Sassy wrote:Yep, don't forget the white phosphorus they dropped on Gaza, officially a Crime against Humanity.

Night SM.

yes that is a crime against humanity, see you are learning, so is every rocket fired by Hamas, which is indiscriminate targeting of civilians. Of the attacks by Israel 4 have been pointed out as not military and thus constituted as possible war crimes which i condemn.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:34 am

You condescending prat. YOU said Israel were following Internation Law, Irn asked you what law? You had to know what law to say they were following it? So far, no sign of the Law they are supposed to be following.

Over 60 UN resolutions against Israel
None against Palestine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:41 am

Sassy wrote:You condescending prat.   YOU said Israel were following Internation Law, Irn asked you what law?   You had to know what law to say they were following it?   So far, no sign of the Law they are supposed to be following.  

Over 60 UN resolutions against Israel
None against Palestine.

Ben when are you going to reign in this constant abuser, all she does is fail to debate and throw constant abuse when her points are shown to be flawed?

By international law military targets are legitimate, look it up, only 4 cases so far have been identified by Human rights watch showing as war crimes, being as they were not military targets and I clearly condemn such attacks. However in the majority Israel warns in advance of such attacks by telephone and the missile tap policy, where as every rocket fired from Hamas is a crime against humanity and a war crime, as it targets civilians.

Clearly you learnt nothing from my posts yesterday in regards to blame and hate will never resolve this conflict because the rality is Israel is not going to compromise whilst Hamas is in power, hence the Palestinians need to remove Hamas and why the people of Israel need to vote in more liberal politicians. As seen you wish to continue your campaign of hate against Israel whilst we also see your deafening silence to have campaigns and protests against ISIS, the Taliban and countless other extremist groups butchering innocent Muslims daily.

If you cannot be civili in a debate, please go and wash your mouth out

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:42 am

Also I will add this thread is disgusting and to me reeks of hate to base any notion of a concentration camp and Irn clearly did not read the article as he does compare this to Nazi concentration camps, of which clearly Irn does not know the difference between a concentration camp and a death camp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down